XP won't prompt me for a repair install...

Hi - I'm using Xp Home, SP2, and I have a small problem which I -think-
is one driver making it hard to install others, but since it's painful
to debug and stubborn, I want to rule out other possible problems by
doing a repair install. (i'd really like to do a system-file-check like
I could in WIN98, but I don't think that's an option under XP). My
understanding is that a repair install is pretty benign. So I put in
my XP disk, tell it I want to do an install (first option), and wait for
it to find the existing installation and prompt me for repair.

Except it never does. I think.

I let it go all the way through the first reboot, and then 5 more
minutes into 'preparing to install' before I finally gave up and
restored my partition image from an earlier backup. Isn't it supposed
to prompt me with some choices before the first reboot? Anyone know why
it isn't, and what I can do to fix? Can't find anything on point with a
search.

Thanks!
/j
4 answers Last reply
More about prompt repair install

    Hi

    To check the system files, type the following from Start>Run and have your
    XP CD to hand:

    sfc /scannow

    The following article by Michael Stevens will help you with a 'Repair'
    install:

    "How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"

    Will Denny
    MVP - Windows Shell/User
    Please reply to the News Groups

    "Jeff W" <msnews@kwcpa.com> wrote in message
    > Hi - I'm using Xp Home, SP2, and I have a small problem which I -think-
    > is one driver making it hard to install others, but since it's painful
    > to debug and stubborn, I want to rule out other possible problems by
    > doing a repair install. (i'd really like to do a system-file-check like
    > I could in WIN98, but I don't think that's an option under XP). My
    > understanding is that a repair install is pretty benign. So I put in
    > my XP disk, tell it I want to do an install (first option), and wait for
    > it to find the existing installation and prompt me for repair.
    >
    > Except it never does. I think.
    >
    > I let it go all the way through the first reboot, and then 5 more
    > minutes into 'preparing to install' before I finally gave up and
    > restored my partition image from an earlier backup. Isn't it supposed
    > to prompt me with some choices before the first reboot? Anyone know why
    > it isn't, and what I can do to fix? Can't find anything on point with a
    > search.
    >
    > Thanks!
    > /j

    thanks - I had already read his article. Like all others, they claim
    that I should be prompted after setup 'finds' my existing XP OS. I
    don't think it's finding it.

    I'll give sfc a try
    thanks
    /j

    Will Denny wrote:

    >Hi
    >
    >To check the system files, type the following from Start>Run and have your
    >XP CD to hand:
    >
    >sfc /scannow
    >
    >The following article by Michael Stevens will help you with a 'Repair'
    >install:
    >
    >"How to Perform a Windows XP Repair Install"
    >http://michaelstevenstech.com/XPrepairinstall.htm

    I think the answer is that i have to BOOT from the CD.

    Does anyone know if a repair install is as safe (benign) as they say it is?

    Jeff W wrote:

    >Hi - I'm using Xp Home, SP2, and I have a small problem which I -think-
    >is one driver making it hard to install others, but since it's painful
    >to debug and stubborn, I want to rule out other possible problems by
    >doing a repair install. (i'd really like to do a system-file-check like
    >I could in WIN98, but I don't think that's an option under XP). My
    >understanding is that a repair install is pretty benign. So I put in
    >my XP disk, tell it I want to do an install (first option), and wait for
    >it to find the existing installation and prompt me for repair.
    >
    >Except it never does. I think.
    >
    >I let it go all the way through the first reboot, and then 5 more
    >minutes into 'preparing to install' before I finally gave up and
    >restored my partition image from an earlier backup. Isn't it supposed
    >to prompt me with some choices before the first reboot? Anyone know why
    >it isn't, and what I can do to fix? Can't find anything on point with a
    >search.
    >
    >Thanks!
    >/j

    Usually it is safe, but a backup is always a good idea.

    |I think the answer is that i have to BOOT from the CD.
    |
    | Does anyone know if a repair install is as safe (benign)
    as they say it is?

    | Jeff W wrote:
    |
    | >Hi - I'm using Xp Home, SP2, and I have a small problem
    which I -think-
    | >is one driver making it hard to install others, but since
    it's painful
    | >to debug and stubborn, I want to rule out other possible
    problems by
    | >doing a repair install. (i'd really like to do a
    system-file-check like
    | >I could in WIN98, but I don't think that's an option
    under XP). My
    | >understanding is that a repair install is pretty benign.
    So I put in
    | >my XP disk, tell it I want to do an install (first
    option), and wait for
    | >it to find the existing installation and prompt me for
    repair.

    | >Except it never does. I think.
    | >
    | >I let it go all the way through the first reboot, and
    then 5 more
    | >minutes into 'preparing to install' before I finally gave
    up and
    | >restored my partition image from an earlier backup.
    Isn't it supposed
    | >to prompt me with some choices before the first reboot?
    Anyone know why
    | >it isn't, and what I can do to fix? Can't find anything
    on point with a
    | >search.
    | >
    | >Thanks!
    | >/j