Extending Wireless Range

Scott

My Linksys WRT54G wireless router works great around
the house. However, on our new deck, the signal strength
hovers between 46-56%, causing slower downloads.
Moving my notebook 6 feet closer to the house jumps the
signal strength up to 70%+. I bought an antenna extender
(11") for the router, and that improved signal strength just
a small amount. The router is in the downstairs office
(split-level house) where the cable comes in. It's also
wired 3 others systems downstairs, so it's not practical
to move it. Is it feasible to purchase another wireless
router and put on the main floor of the house (closer to
the deck) and connect it to the existing router with an
ethernet cable? Can routers be daisy-chained together?

Thanks!
Scott

http://www.freeantennas.com EZ-10

--
---

Scott wrote:
> My Linksys WRT54G wireless router works great around
> the house. However, on our new deck, the signal strength
> hovers between 46-56%, causing slower downloads.
> Moving my notebook 6 feet closer to the house jumps the
> signal strength up to 70%+.

www.freeantennas.com

I put one of the "X12" design homemade craft project parabolic reflectors
on the right hand rubber ducky of my WRT54G and the signal in my office
went from 50% to 80%, with decent signals around the rest of the house
where I don't have to go through so many old wire lath walls.

--
Steve
Re-defeat Bush in 2004

It would seem Linksys developed the WRE54G just for you.

Uncle Ken <itsme585@hotmail.com> wrote:
> It would seem Linksys developed the WRE54G just for you.

I would try the free reflector first.

Scott

Ken,

In checking the customer reviews on amazon.com for this products,
it seems like it works great for some, and for others the setup and
workability is a nightmare. What's a person to do?

Scott

Uncle Ken wrote:

> It would seem Linksys developed the WRE54G just for you.
>
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:<41250A20.8607BC1C@uslink.net>...
> > My Linksys WRT54G wireless router works great around
> > the house. However, on our new deck, the signal strength
> > hovers between 46-56%, causing slower downloads.
> > Moving my notebook 6 feet closer to the house jumps the
> > signal strength up to 70%+. I bought an antenna extender
> > (11") for the router, and that improved signal strength just
> > a small amount. The router is in the downstairs office
> > (split-level house) where the cable comes in. It's also
> > wired 3 others systems downstairs, so it's not practical
> > to move it. Is it feasible to purchase another wireless
> > router and put on the main floor of the house (closer to
> > the deck) and connect it to the existing router with an
> > ethernet cable? Can routers be daisy-chained together?
> >
> > Thanks!
> > Scott

john

Splendid
Aug 25, 2003

On Fri, 20 Aug 2004 22:11:44 -0600, Scott <golden@uslink.net>
wrote:

>> > to move it. Is it feasible to purchase another wireless
>> > router and put on the main floor of the house (closer to
>> > the deck) and connect it to the existing router with an
>> > ethernet cable? Can routers be daisy-chained together?
>> >
>> > Thanks!
>> > Scott

I have a D-Link DI-604 router with two DWL-2100APs cabled (CAT 5)
to it, one at 6 feet and one at 100 feet. The APs have different
SSIDs and different WEP keys and different channel numbers.
Works perfectly. Windows XP menu settings for a computer to
change to a different AP connection are not automatic, but are
very easy/fast, and seldom necessary.

John

What I do is buy from a supplier with a good return policy and, if the
product doesn't work as advertised, I return it for a replacement if
it's broken or a refund if it's just a POS. I believe a certain
number of bad customer reviews are the result of a mismatch between
user expectations and actual product features. Variations in product
quality and user aptitude practically guarantee mixed customer reviews
for any product.

Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:<4126CB80.471DD143@uslink.net>...
> Ken,
>
> In checking the customer reviews on amazon.com for this products,
> it seems like it works great for some, and for others the setup and
> workability is a nightmare. What's a person to do?
>
> Scott
>
> Uncle Ken wrote:
>
> > It would seem Linksys developed the WRE54G just for you.
> >
> > Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message news:<41250A20.8607BC1C@uslink.net>...
> > > My Linksys WRT54G wireless router works great around
> > > the house. However, on our new deck, the signal strength
> > > hovers between 46-56%, causing slower downloads.
> > > Moving my notebook 6 feet closer to the house jumps the
> > > signal strength up to 70%+. I bought an antenna extender
> > > (11") for the router, and that improved signal strength just
> > > a small amount. The router is in the downstairs office
> > > (split-level house) where the cable comes in. It's also
> > > wired 3 others systems downstairs, so it's not practical
> > > to move it. Is it feasible to purchase another wireless
> > > router and put on the main floor of the house (closer to
> > > the deck) and connect it to the existing router with an
> > > ethernet cable? Can routers be daisy-chained together?
> > >
> > > Thanks!
> > > Scott

I've got a Linksys WRT54GS. I tried to make my own reflector with limited
success. I then bought a Linksys range extender, and I've been happy with
the extended coverage.

"Uncle Ken" <itsme585@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> What I do is buy from a supplier with a good return policy and, if the
> product doesn't work as advertised, I return it for a replacement if
> it's broken or a refund if it's just a POS. I believe a certain
> number of bad customer reviews are the result of a mismatch between
> user expectations and actual product features. Variations in product
> quality and user aptitude practically guarantee mixed customer reviews
> for any product.
>
> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
> > Ken,
> >
> > In checking the customer reviews on amazon.com for this products,
> > it seems like it works great for some, and for others the setup and
> > workability is a nightmare. What's a person to do?
> >
> > Scott
> >
> > Uncle Ken wrote:
> >
> > > It would seem Linksys developed the WRE54G just for you.
> > >
> > > Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message

Glad to hear the range extender worked for you. I tried one but found it
did nothing to extend the range of my existing Linksys WRT54G with +11dBi
antenna.

--
Bob Alston

bobalston9 AT aol DOT com
"Richard S" <richarde99NOSPAM@hotmail.com> wrote in message
> I've got a Linksys WRT54GS. I tried to make my own reflector with limited
> success. I then bought a Linksys range extender, and I've been happy with
> the extended coverage.
>
> "Uncle Ken" <itsme585@hotmail.com> wrote in message
>> What I do is buy from a supplier with a good return policy and, if the
>> product doesn't work as advertised, I return it for a replacement if
>> it's broken or a refund if it's just a POS. I believe a certain
>> number of bad customer reviews are the result of a mismatch between
>> user expectations and actual product features. Variations in product
>> quality and user aptitude practically guarantee mixed customer reviews
>> for any product.
>>
>> Scott <golden@uslink.net> wrote in message
>> > Ken,
>> >
>> > In checking the customer reviews on amazon.com for this products,
>> > it seems like it works great for some, and for others the setup and
>> > workability is a nightmare. What's a person to do?
>> >
>> > Scott

---

Sean

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Here is your best bet. With the new chip set and software developed by
Cisco they have limited the use of the router. Here is a link that will
burn new firmware on the router that will give you full control of the
router including increasing the signal upto 250Mw. Also, allows for
additional features such as QOS prioritization, SMNP protocals just to name
a few.

http://www.i-hacked.com/Computer-Components/Networking/Linksys-WRT54G-and-WRT54GS-Hacking.html

Yes, this is hacked firmware and will void the warranty if anything goes
wrong with the router and you try to return it. I've implemented this at
many customer sites and am able to recover the previous firmware if there is
a problem so that the router can be returned. If you implement this you
have to enable mac authentication and wep encryption. If you don't and you
increase the power output of the router you'll end up with roaming users on
your network.

Regards.
sean