Sign in with
Your question
Closed

pc controller as qwerty with mouse possible???

Last response: in Video Games
June 13, 2008 11:05:03 AM

Hi there =)
ok, in short > Is it possible to configure a computer for pc gaming using a pc controller/pad for movement and such, and STILL have mouse input??

I am relatively new to the world of pc gaming (i have grown up on console games, thus controllers) and i cannot stand how uncompfertable "qwerty" configuration is on my L hand. So can i map movement controls to an analog thumb stick i would be holding in my left hand, whilst retaining mouse to look/aim/shoot/and i suppose jump, with my right? I dont have my new computer yet, or a controller, but i REALLY would like to know first if this is even possible, or if anyone uses such a config? i googled the crap out of this question , so as to not waste anyones time unnecessarily, with no luck - so pleeeeease, somebody, ANYBODY, could you please shed some light for me on this? Or even an alternative ( joystick in left, mouse with right for example) ..anything!! i just want to play fps's and not have to use the damn keyboard!!

Eddy
June 13, 2008 12:32:46 PM

it would generally be down to the game, a gamepad analogue stick would usually detect as a joystick with 2 axis. You would need to configure this axis for forward/backwards, left and right. I know saitek stuff comes with mapping software which allows you to map keystrokes.
June 13, 2008 12:49:47 PM

thankyou gow87 - i am looking into it now and i have heard of saitek before ... so you figure it comes down to the actual game? hmmm i thought that could be the case ... well, the first game i am wanting to play will be counterstrike source.. would anybody out there be willing to check if this control setup would work, providing they have the game/and possibly a pad? i would really appreciate this very very much =)
Related resources
June 13, 2008 12:56:04 PM

other games would be call of duty 4, bioshock, prey, f.e.a.r ...surely someone has one of these and a gamepad sitting around ?! please !! im desperate and in agony here :(  :(  :( 
June 13, 2008 2:11:45 PM

ull get used to it and when you do, you wont know why you liked the control pad.
June 13, 2008 5:01:09 PM

sorry, but i will never get used to it. please, this is the first post i have ever made in my life, and i wouldnt be asking if i wasnt so distressed about using the keyboard. sure, i could just not play pc games, but there are some that i would like to play - and trying to play them with a keyboard makes me want to smash my hand to pieces with a hammer.
June 17, 2008 4:19:49 AM

I myself use Cyborg Command Unit to emulate keystoke when I am playing online game guildwars. The keys on the notebook are not so good and not durable, so I use Saitek Cyborg Command Unit.

People buy that for FPS.
I think I have to do little more in setting for emulating keystroke because
it seems keyboard is faster than the command unit.

You may ask more advice from people on those products.
http://www.saitek.com/uk/prod/cyborgcommand.htm
June 17, 2008 5:36:14 AM

Flakes said:
ull get used to it and when you do, you wont know why you liked the control pad.

I absolutely agree. Are you so unflexible? What a terible idea to mix a console controller and a mouse. *shudders*

June 17, 2008 1:12:50 PM

when i first started pc gaming i tried the same thing
my father moded a xbox original contorler so i could plug it into the pc
i then found software for it, but with most fps except crysis the game only reconises 1 joystick on the controller
and even then you can only get movement to work i tried everthing then just decided to learn the WASD controls
June 17, 2008 3:26:49 PM

WASD & Mouse is well known as the best control scheme in existence, it offers the quickest reaction times, and the best accuracy. The only reason i wouldn't use it is if i lost a hand or had some sort of Disability, then you would have the ground to try something different.
June 17, 2008 3:53:39 PM

Have you tried anything like this instead of a keyboard? (my boss has a similar, cheaper one).

June 18, 2008 10:24:04 AM

^ Overpriced gimmick. No real value IMO.
June 19, 2008 4:12:11 AM

WASD & Mouse is well known as the best control scheme in existence, it offers the quickest reaction times, and the best accuracy

well i dont no about the WASD but the mouse does offer good control and accuracy. WASD just doesnt have the range that a controll stick does.
i play both xbox and pc i dont mind changing between them but for me the controller has always been better
November 17, 2008 7:50:36 PM

You can do it in certain games, especially recent ones. Source engine games (i.e. Half-Life2 and Left4Dead) can easily be configured to use 360 controller and mouse together. I've long been a PC gamer, and WASD is nice sometimes... but for certain games it just feels a lot better when you map movement and such to a controller and aim with the mouse. all a matter of preference.
November 18, 2008 3:02:38 PM

It might be okay for single player games, but a really bad idea to do it on a game like CSS, people who play it have perfected their craft and you'd be on a serious disadvantage. You can try if you want, but IMO the best thing is use the Keyboard.

You can try the belkin pad above designed by Razer, or there's a cheaper alternative by Wolf King:

WOLF KING Warrior DK2388UBL Ice Blue 55 Normal Keys USB Ergonomics GamePAD - Retail

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E168...
November 19, 2008 4:01:50 AM

I have a Merc Stealth Keyboard and it's near priceless for me. I have a few cat's and they have learned how to turn off the programs I'm using with it in the middle of my gaming so I'll pet them. Would like to know how to lock the damn keyboard but still kind of lazy and it let's me know when I have been playing to long.
Another Keyboard that has been getting a lot of use in my house is the new Microsoft Sidewinder. The one with the detachable number pad that you can switch from side to side. It's more of a normal keyboard though and truthfully it still doesn't beat my Merc Stealth.
Honestly speaking I would say the Merc Stealth is the best PC Gaming Keyboard around. It's simple to setup and yet you can go as deep as you could with any other keyboard. As far as Gaming Gear it's an essential item to me.
Another essential item to me is the X-box 360 Controller for Windows. I have two and it makes gaming fun. One of them broke and I there was some games I found I just couldn't play without it.
Gaming Mice I haven't found an essential one. I won't go wireless with a Mouse or Keyboard as my computer is always going day and night. X-box 360 is just awesome as far as wireless goes.
November 19, 2008 3:12:15 PM

ncc1701dee said:
Hi there =)
ok, in short > Is it possible to configure a computer for pc gaming using a pc controller/pad for movement and such, and STILL have mouse input??

The answer to that question is yes:

!