Bizarre icon, who knows what this, is

accesser

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Hi there everybody,

My Names Jason from Brisbane QLD Australia,

I was hoping to find somebody that can identify an unusual icon that keeps randomly appearing in my system tray next to the clock.

Ok now . . . fist of I have Norton Internet Security 2004 on my system fully updated and have done a full system scan, I also use Ad-ware and Spybot - Search & Destroy to weekly scan my system, none of these applications are able to find anything nasty on my system
Please have a look at the following JPG

http://members.ozemail.com.au/~jasimjen/thg/icon.jpg

The black icon on the far left is the one that troubles me, I know what all the rest are, the black icon appears at random times and as soon as I move the mouse to go click on it. It goes away; a quick check on the processes running on my system shows nothing out of place.
Also a quick trip to dos and “netstat –a” show nothing weird accessing the net.

I’ve also looked in “msconfig” to see what’s loading at startup nothing strange; I’ve also looked at the services on my computer still nothing weird.

I also thought of doing a search on system HDD for “*.ico” to see if I find the same icon and if I did I’d be able to see where and what it is, but to joy.

So its got me stumped what the little icon is when it appears windows play that standard XP balloon sound you get when something pops up.
But as soon as a go to click the offending icon to see what it is, it’s gone,

So if anybody has seen this little fellow before I’d really like to know what it is.

Thanks for taking the time to read this

Jason

BunnyStroker

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
It looks very much like the Nvidia icon. Do you have an Nvidia graphics card? It's probably some graphics driver icon.

<b>1.4 Ghz AMD T-Bird underclocked to 1 Ghz...just to be safe!</b>

accesser

Distinguished
Aug 1, 2003
Thank-you so much for replying, it’s truly appreciated
You might be onto something there, yes I am using an Nvida card, I’ve recently upgraded from my faulty Nivida card (bad memory) to a new Nvida card perhaps something happed with the drivers, so I will re-install them, because it seams strange for the icon to pop up now and then.

Thankx again for your reply,

Jason