DAMMIT WHAT HAPPENED!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok, i built the pc -- asus nforce2 and xp2800..

everything was working fine.. when i booted up for the first time... bios loaded and everything... i put in the xp disc. it started to partition the hd.. then it restarted or whatever and continuted to load more stuff..(now the xp copy i burnt was missing a file, so when it says load this file, i have to switch to another disc, then do it again to finish process).. now like an idiot i am, i deceided to go into the bios and switch fsb to 166.. it was set to 100mhz. (even tho i am supposed to have 166)

now i [-peep-] rebot the god dam pc and i get no video? so now i reset the [-peep-] video card and still no good...

also may i add, the leadtek doesn't seem to fit right for some reason.. it's not lining up with the screw hole.. but anyway.. the god dam thing was working! and now it don't do nothing...

now when i start the pc up, i get no video, no keyboard lights...

what is my problem? please help..

Is THG Slightly Slacking??

fiask0

Distinguished
Oct 13, 2002
a) reset the cmos by the jumper under the battery,
b) check your video card to make sure it's seated properly
c) make sure your heatsink is on your processor correctly and it doesn't feel hot. Random restarts like that can be attributed to heat sometimes.
d) try instead of 166, try 133 and see if that helps you out.
e) if you've tried all the above, start swapping out parts till you find whats wrong
f) if you're still at odds, take everything apart and let it run outside the case to rule out grounding problems.

-- What memory are you running and does it support 166 fsb? --
<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by fiask0 on 01/08/03 07:34 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

toss5000

Distinguished
Oct 7, 2002
The default jumper setting should have been 133/166 unless you changed it. Look in your manual for the cpu fsb jumper....make sure its on 133/166.

- - - -
Kill a man and you're a murderer;
Kill many and you're a conquerer;
Kill 'em all and you're a god.

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
like another poster said, you most likely switched the wrong bus speed - clear CMOS and switch the memory bus speed, not the CPU (the 2nd group down on the page)

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Rob, you're a pretty intense person. Might I suggest anger management?

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i just been waiting so long, and this happenes..lol.. idn, i have to just chill out alittle..

ok, can you guys give be alittle step by step on what to do to clear cmos correctly.

Black_Cat

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2002
Good. Admitting that you have a problem is the first step to recovery. :smile:

I'm not familiar with the A7N8X yet, but generally there is usually a jumper located right next to the CMOS battery. Usually what you do is move it from 1 set of pins to the other and then back. Some people just pop the battery out and then put it back in. Your manual should explain it.

To start press any key. Where's the "any" key? --Homer Simpson.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok well let me say this.. maybe you guys can see what the problem is..

ok.

i built the pc, and booted for first time.. everything was looking cool... in the bios i noticed it said Cpu FSB 100mhz.. i have the xp2800+ so i changed it to 166mhz.. i shut down.. then boot up again..

i go into bios this time, and then when i switch over to the advanced tab.. it hangs..

i shut down, and do it again.. go in the bios..and if i leave it on the first screen in bios.. its ok.. as soon as i switch over to advanced it hangs..

the next time i boot up... now i get no video..
and my keyboard isn't lighting up.. and i gotta check to see if the mouse even lights up.

im gonna try the cmos thing... if that don't work, im so screwed, i don't know what the hell to do. i didn't zap any components...

oh and i also resetted the video card.
and also checked to make sure the FSB was set to the 333/266 jumper.

but its weird now that the keyboard isn't lighting up?

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
ok i booted again..(didn't clear cmos yet) but i just wanted to add, that my Mouse(optical-usb) isn't lighting up red anymore and that the keyboard deffinetly isn't getting lite up?

when i open my case, i do notice that the mobo has it's little green light lite up.. so it's deff getting power.

i really don't wanna have to send this board back to newegg again for another one.. dammit!

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
i have to let my uncle bring his pc over, so i can test my graphics in his pc (to make sure it works)

oh and before all this happened, and everything was good... the cpu temp was 43c
highest i scene was 45c

MeTaLrOcKeR

Distinguished
May 2, 2001
Dude.....what power supply unit r u using ???
I suspect a bad one =)

Either that or u have bad/faulty ram.........

<A HREF="http://www.anandtech.com/mysystemrig.html?id=13597" target="_new">-MeTaL RoCkEr</A>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
<b><font color=red>
clear CMOS! clear CMOS! clear CMOS! clear CMOS!
</font color=red></b>

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
btw, if you're building PC's and you don't have any experience having to clear CMOS, you've not been building PC's for too long... :wink:

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
this is my first PC build, BY MYSELF... i've done a few but wit my uncle and he never ran into a problem for some reason

anyway.. thank god you guys no your sh!t.. but i have a few small problems you guys might no..

#1 the fsb is @ 100 = me to a 1350mhz processor, i have installed windows xp and everything is ok except for the fact that then i drag a window lets say, it's like having a trail.. like it's weird, with this processor [-peep-] should be moving with no problem, even @ 1350mhz, now when i click like explore, and do stuff through the drives, [-peep-] pops up really fast, so it might be something that i don't know

also..

my bios is 1001 G is that what it should be?
if not how do i change it.
also, do i always have to click F1 to continue on start up... that [-peep-] is annoying.

also how do i know my DDR is enabled.. and if i do update my bios, will i have to put that asus disc in, or if i change drivers, will new bios effect that? thank you.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
sorry but i forgot to add one thing...

and it's kinda worrying me.. its @ 1350mhz like i said.. and the temp is around 53 and sometimes alittle higher when full load..

i didn't use artic silver, i used the crap that came with the volcano 7+

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
FSB sould be set to 133...

The video trails are most likely because you haven't installed your vid card drivers yet...

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
jesus, you are amazing... can i give you a F*cking KISSS!! just fooling.... i don't know what i would do without you..

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
there are 2 different settings on that BIOS page, one is for CPU and the other is for memory. IIRC the CPU part is the upper part of the page, and the memory is the lower (or middle part). Set the CPU to 133 and the memory to 166.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
loaded drivers, everything is F-ing FLYING.. jesus this is one fast setup... i will send people pics if they want, i took a bunch..

i wanna thank everyone who has helped me throught he last few days, you have no clue how pissed i wass when i thought i just wasted around 1500$!! thanks everyone!

also, i wanna use those SATA cables, but i don't have SATA drives, i got regular IDE drives, can i get an Adaptor?

also i would like to add, those rounded cables SUCK!! they aint bendable, they blow, the floppy one is actually very good tho.. the HD ones SUCK

also i can't get my Floppy working... what wires to i plug into it?

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
it sould just auto-detect the CPU multiplier.

On page 2-15 of the manual, the CPU external freq is the one for the CPU (duh). Then on page 2-16, the memory frequency is the one for the memory (again, duh). Is that the page you were looking at (advanced chipset features)?

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
If you have the XP2800+ you need to set your fsb to 166 and I would recommend you run your memory synchronously. I get the best scores on my XP2700+ when I run both at 166. Actually I overclocked to 175 on both.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Let the BIOS autodetect your multiplier.

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Did you clear the cmos yet? You are wasting time if you don't.