Sign in with
Your question

Help! Supreme Commander Ping Spikes

Last response: in Video Games
June 14, 2008 2:34:24 PM

Right I have a problem with supreme commander which as stated in the thread title is to do with a spiking ping. It used to work fine and me and my brother used to play on the same wireless connection in the same game online with no issues at all. However we recently started playing again after taking a few months off and we find that whenever we both play together we get massive ping spikes (from about 100 to over 2000) every 30 secs or so and sometimes even if only one of us is playing it happens, although it is much less frequent. This only happens with supreme commander, I can play Company of heroes online while he plays COD4 and we have no spikes whatsoever.

Any (sensible) suggestions on how to fix this problem will be greatly appreciated.
August 9, 2008 1:27:53 PM

I suddenly have the same issue. Have you been able to resolve it?

Last weekend we were 3 guys playing, and one of the PC's kept on doing it, but the other two were fine.

Tried changing ports and host, but no difference.
Game settings have been tweaked and graphics turned down.
Updated to latest patch (3280 I think).

Anyone any ideas please? :cry: 
August 9, 2008 2:57:39 PM

Is it just Supreme Commander or the expansion (Forged Alliance)?

I know they moved some of the original SC servers over to FA so if you're playing the original that could be your problem. If it is, just buy the expansion :) 

That said, I haven't noticed any lag spikes while playing either. Is the game lagging or is it just the figure for your ping jumps? If the game works fine I wouldn't worry about it.
Related resources
August 17, 2008 10:15:25 AM

Thanks for replying so quickly.

It's the original we're trying to play.

I've noticed now that when we're both busy doing something in game, the ping fluctuates suddenly and goes up to about 3000 or so; and it lags up to a point of not being able to play. Probably like 1 or 2 fps.

But as soon as my friend stops doing anything and just leaves everything as is, the lag dissapears and I'm able to carry on as normal; and vice-versa.

It's weird that it just started doing it suddenly, 'cause we were able to play a couple of weeks ago without any issues.

I don't remember making any significant changes that could have affected it.
August 19, 2008 12:32:03 PM

Updated your router hardware etc - done anything drastic/ installed anything new in your network between the 2 of you.

Started using any P2P software that could account for a high Upload Speed hit --> which would cause massively fluctualting ping?
August 26, 2008 8:21:01 AM

We seemed to have solved the problem. It looks like it was an issue with the router at my friend's end. He reset it and since then everything has been running smoothly.

Hopefully it's fixed now.

I just can't understand why there was an issue with SupCom only and nothing with the other games we played.

What could be the reason for a router to do this?
Networking isn't my niche, but I can't understand why a switch/hub/router could cause issues and if you just reset it, it works fine again? Or is that a rhetorical observation.
!