Help!!!! How do I do this?

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Greetings!

I would like to update the Bios on my A7N8X Deluxe from the 1001.g to the 1002.001 and I am unsure of the instructions given by the Asus site. Here is the part I am unsure of:

Create a bootable system floppy disk by typing [FORMAT A:/S] from the DOS prompt without creating "AUTOEXEC.BAT" and "CONFIG.SYS" files.

I am running WinXP and I don't believe XP has DOS????? I tried using the "Run" on the start menu and I really don't know if this is correct????

My disk has the following files on it:
Display, EGA2.cpi, EGA3.cpi, EGA.cpi, KEYB (MS-DOS Application), Keyboard, AW1001.e (this was done before the 1002.001 Bios came out), KEYBRD2, KEYBRD3, KEYBRD4, MODE (MS-DOS Application) and aflash.

Are these the correct files I need to use the 3.5" to update my BIOS????

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Sounds like your boot files are there, I usually just go to my computer, format the floppy from the right click dropdown menu, and choose the "Create MS-DOS boot disk" option, then add the flash program and the new rom file.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo Crashman,

That has got to be the best title that I have ever seen! NICE! How many million of posts do I have to make to get a custom title? That is way cooler than just "Bandwidth Hog".

Peace Out...............tile

Why do you want to believe me?

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Greetings!

Well I tried to update the BIOS to the new 1002.001 that is out on the Asus site and it didn't work. I got an error message after I typed in AFLASH at the a prompt after it started booting from the floppy. The error message said something like "failed to locate hook". No idea what that means, I bet someone out there can help though! please!!!

Thanks

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Nope, this is a standard title. If you want a custom title, you have to ask for it.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Those are both great answers to my questions! Thanks guys!!!!

not<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by SabreFan on 01/09/03 01:14 AM.</EM></FONT></P>

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
That's a message you get when you use the wrong flash program. Let's pretend the rom file is named a7n8x102.awd, then the proper command using the utility Flash.exe (which is the one I think you're SUPPOSED to be using, not certain) would be "flash a7n8x102.awd" Anyway, I get Flash and Aflash mixed up, so Aflash might be right. In that case, with the file name I made up, it would be "aflash a7n8x102.awd"

jlanka

Splendid
Mar 16, 2001
easiest way to make a DOS bootdisk is to grab one from <A HREF="http://www.bootdisk.com" target="_new">http://www.bootdisk.com</A>

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>

RCPilot

Champion
I don't know why your trying to flash the BIOS the old fashioned way with a ASUS board. Use ASUS Update & let it do it for you. It's the easiest way I've seem to flash BIOS. One of the reasons I stay with ASUS baords.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!

SabreFan

Distinguished
Dec 24, 2002
Greetings!

Well, I was trying to flash the BIOS the old fashioned way because I was following the directions given on the Asus website! I followed your directions and it worked the first time! I upgraded to the beta BIOS 1002.001 and it works fine so far! I overclocked my Athlon 1.4 to 1.46 (which couldn't be done through the BIOS with the 1001.g version! So far so good!

Thanks for helping me with this problem, it is much appreciated.

RCPilot

Champion
Your very welcome. I've used ASUS update since my A7V days. I do see they tell you on the web to do it the old way, go figure!!!!!
The only thing I noticed with ASUS Update is I usually find the latest file on the TW site, but I guess the traffic wouldn't allow it to flash the BIOS. It would hang waiting. So I go to the DE site, can't read it but know which file to pick then. So I sometimes end up getting the flash from the DE site instead of the TW site. Still works very well.

Signature, I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!