Team Fortress 2 won't work

Status
Not open for further replies.

neodude007

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Soooo I reinstalled my Vista x64 on another hard drive cuz my other installtion was taking too long to boot. I put Steam on and downloaded all my games like Half Life 2, TF2, CoD4, Half Life 2 Death Match, Counter Strike Source...

I can play all of them except TF2. I have the newest drivers and all that fun stuff. Basically nothing has changed from my other Vista installation but TF2 freezes as soon as I enter "gameplay" The second I get the first person view the game freezes, sound repeats, and I have to crash it with Task Manager.

Any ideas why 1 game doesn't work??? I have all required Vista updates including SP1. There are just 5 optional updates left pictured here:

http://www.imagebam.com/image/c33d6f7804849

NOTE: I am running a Raid 0 on 2 160GB drives but haven't had any issues yet. I am scared to put in the optional Nvidia Raid controller update.

As far as I know TF2 has yet to be made for 64bit and needs to be run in 32bit. But since I do not have any experience with 64bit Windows I cannot tell you how to do that.

But I did a little surfing and found something you may want to try as this guy seems to have had the same problem as you:

-Go to computer management (you can just type it in the search bar)
-Then on the left side click services and application
-click services
-on the right side list look for something that is called ForceWare Intelligent Application Manager (IAM) and disable it.

My problem was when I started the game everything was studdering. Like I said different problem than yours but worth a shot. Also make sure Nvidia network manager is uninstalled.

Thats the suggestion and it worked for the guy. Here is the link to the forum so you can read the whole thing:
http://www.vistax64.com/gaming/148214-hl2-exe-has-stopped-working.html

I don't think its the RAID controller update you should be worried about but make sure the Nvidia network manager is not installed as that causes a lot of problems for people.

Good luck with everything man.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
I have the same problem on XP 32. As soon as I enter the main screen, the game starts to stutter to the extent, that it has to be task managered off. And I have no raid controller enabled... Can anyone confirm the above mentioned solution? (I am sick of reinstalling crappy STEAM with all the auto invites once again; but for TF2 I would do it...)

mothhive

Distinguished
Oct 3, 2007
It's not an issue with 64bit Vista as I have been playing it flawlessly on Vista Home Premium (64) since I built my PC over a month ago. I've also installed all the updates that Neo listed and haven't had any problems (don't have a raid setup though).

Neo, what hardware are you using? I've had some strange crashes (usually in Crysis, but had 1 or 2 in some Valve games) that were apparently to do with my motherboard, but the latest bios seemed to help stop them.

Kraynor

Distinguished
Aug 10, 2007
I'll confirm that it runs perfectly on Vista Ultimate 64-bit, and having a RAID setup shouldn't affect it - I have 2 750 GB 7200.11 Barracudas set up in a RAID 0 configuration which I store games on and they all work fine.

mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
I have the same problem on XP 32. As soon as I enter the main screen, the game starts to stutter to the extent, that it has to be task managered off. And I have no raid controller enabled... Can anyone confirm the above mentioned solution? (I am sick of reinstalling crappy STEAM with all the auto invites once again; but for TF2 I would do it...)

Hey aziraphale what you need to do is bear the lagg and click on find servers then STOP them from refreshing, atleast this is what i did, i had the same problems as you. the problem for me was that it tried to refresh like a million servers at once, hope this helps!

Plow.

aziraphale

Distinguished
May 6, 2004
Hmmm....I don't think that's the problem, because the lag already starts an the main menu screen right after starting the game. I don't think it's already scanning for servers then; I also tried to disable SLI, changing video settings to the minimum, but it's very unnerving because the lag is so bad you have to wait a few secs for even the mouse to move; am I the only one with this problem?

mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
PLOW TO THE RESCUE!

lol no problem mate, took me months to work that one out myself, seems like a common glitch :| and a bad one at that.

robwright

Distinguished
Feb 16, 2006
Weird....this actually happened to me on an XP machine. Same kind of symptoms. I defragged the system, updated my ATI drivers, everything -- nothing worked. So I just switched to another system.

Weird thing for me is I see all these issues for people and yet I have never run into any of them. Like the low FPS or this.

I do know for sure that certain Nvidia drivers like to wreak havok with TF2 for some unknown reason. If you go to the Steam TF2 forums you will read about some people who had to remove certain Nvidia programs or drivers to get TF2 working right.

G

I have a problem with TF2.
When I join a server it freezes.
I'm not super good with computer anyone who can help me?
IT DRIVES ME INSANE!!!

G

I have been attempting to get in to TF2 through steam but when I open the game itself and ask to seach for servers it doesn't work, and I figured out I can get on servers through steam without opening the program, but now it gets me in but the sound studders, the walls are all different colors, it laggs and then it dies. Does anyone have some suggestions.

tarquinbiscuitbarrel

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2009
anonymous - when you join a server does it freeze permenantly? if it's a temporary one then it could be to do with your firewall blocking the link thing (when you join a server, you usually get a welcome screen linked from the server host's URL). if you use google you can probably find a way to disable the welcome message.

helpmeplease_25 - the server browser problem is common if you have a rubbish modem/router (meltdown when too much traffic), in which case search google for some settings tweaks for your router and NEVER press the 'refresh' list on server browser (otherwise your router will crash and you'll need to power off/on or wait 10 minutes to get back). find some server IP's and add them to your favourite list. the graphics corruption sounds like old video card drivers.

Status
Not open for further replies.