PLEASE HELP me with my SB51G

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I have just put together a SB51G system (XPC from shuttle) with a 2.4b P4 and 512 pc2700 ram. I switch it on and the lights come on and the fan runs but I get no signal to the monitor and no beeps of any sort. Anyone know whats going on? Any help would be appreciated. (I already pushed down on the ram to make sure it is seeded - I'm pretty sure it is)

"Don't question it!!!" - Err<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by tommunist on 01/09/03 06:36 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo T,

I see you have gotten the XPC. I do not have your model, but in my short experience, no beeps translates to cpu problem(bad cpu, not installed right, no cpu fan detected, P4 power line bad/not plugged in or other cpu problem), check & reseat the cpu & reconnect all the PSU cables. As for no video signal, don't worry about it until you get your post beep codes, also check your system/mobo speaker to see if it is plugged in & working(if you doubt that it is working, just connect 2 wires to a small "AA" battery on the ends, & stick the wires into the speaker lead. you should hear a scratchy-clicking noise from the little speaker. Good Luck

Peace Out.............tile

Why do you want to believe me?

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo T,

One other thing could be wrong...........bad mobo. Check the cpu in another running system, or try a different cpu in the XPC if you can.

Peace Out...........tile2

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
unfortunately i don't have the ability to do either of those things at the moment b/c this is the only p4 system i have ever had.

"Don't question it!!!" - Err

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo T,

You are going to have to do the next best thing. Take the XPC apart, as far as it was assembled, and go through the manual & reassemble it step by step, read everything & then assemble it just like the manual word for word.......do not skip anything. Be especially careful with the PSU cables & CPU Mounting. Good Luck

Peace Out..............tile2

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I'm going to go through it again but the thing is...I barely had to do anything b/c all I installed pretty much was the proc, ram, and 3 drives. No pci or agp cards and the power and all the leads were hooked up for me. I suppose I can check all of those - one thing I did try was that I had the fan hooked up to "fan3" and I switched it over to "fan1." Either way the fan spins when I turn it on but both ways I get no posting beeps or video signal. I also took the proc out and checked to make sure no pins were bent (none were) and then made sure I put it in the right way (and it was in the right way) and I also took the ram out and put it back in for prosperity. Doing all this in turn meant that I had taken the drive cage out so I also unplugged both the power supply cables from the mobo and plugged them back in. I then hooked everything back up and I still have the same symptoms.....

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo T,

It sounds to me that you have done everything by the book.

Try calling this Shuttle Tech Support # (626) 820-9000 extension #'s 204, 205 or 206

These #'s worked last year, & they picked up the phone pretty fast. I don't remember their hours, but I think they are So Ca based. Sorry, I couldn't be of more help.

Peace Out................tile

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I also just got another cpu and it didn't work in the XPC
AND
I tried the cpu I got in the other system and it didn't work either - now neither cpu works. Is it possible that the XPC fried the CPUs???

Tilepusher2

Distinguished
Nov 26, 2002
Yo T,

In the past it has only taken 2 days after receiving the rma'ed component. About the fried cpu, I have never come across a mobo, that fried cpu's, but it doesn't mean that your XPC did not fry your cpu's. Did you call tech support at Shuttle?

Peace Out.................tile2

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I just called the tech support at shuttle and that was some of the worst tech support I've ever gotten. I called up once and they told me to make sure the proc was in right and I did that and it didn't help. I call again and they tell me to just go get a new one from where I bought it. NICE TECHNICAL SUPPORT YOU @$$HOLES!!! (as you can tell I'm getting angry)

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Yo T,

I am sorry that you have had this very bad experience with Shuttle. I guess that I have been very "Lucky" with Shuttle & their tech support has been very helpful. It might have helped that I have hung out all night with some of the U.S. & Taiwan VP's, drinking & gambling. In fact most of the big guys are in town for the CES right now, too bad only the non-gamblers know anything about hardware. I should see them on Saturday, when I see them(if I remember-there might be drinking involed), I'll ask them about the return % of your XPC SB51G & if there is anything that you should know.

Peace Out.....................tile

I wish my imaginary friends could give me better advice

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I have heard plenty of good things about shuttle prior to this. I just may be unlucky. I guess I just had high expectations for the tech support. I'm just hoping it really is the board so that when I RMA it I get a new one. I generally hate the RMA process. It seems that I have no other choice but to RMA it with essential computing (where I bought it) because it seems as though shuttle doesn't handle this process.

Mavicator

Distinguished
Apr 14, 2001
I saw the exact same thing happen to a friend. turns out it was the memory. Try another brand. I use Crucial DDR266 in mine and my friend now uses Kingston DDR200? with no probs. Also for some reason the place he bought it, during troubleshooting, pressed really hard to seat the memory. I didn't have that prob with mine so it may have been an unneccessary step, but I saw them do it.

-- Ah sh*t! sys64738 --

KrAziE

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I had the same problem with my new chain tech board... After reading the MOBO FAQ I decied to unscrew the Mobo and check for shorts I didn't see any but when I put the mobo back in and screwed it in again it booted fine..??? don't ask why but there might have been a short I wasn't seeing.... Never overlook the obvious i guess.... I was having the same problems you are. Lights go on and fans spin for a short time but no post beeps or video ... Good luck

Krazie

Tommunist

Distinguished
Jun 14, 2002
I've checked the memory and tried my OCZ memory instead of the Kingston I bought for it. I'm not about to rip everything out, break something, and then not be able to get a new one; I'm sending it back to get a new one today.