Please please help me!!

Hi... yesterday, I bought a new 40GB hard disk drive, and Windows XP
home ed. I went through the normal hard drive fitting procedures, but
when I came to boot... all I got was a quick cd drive check, no floppy
search, and nothing on the screen! Thinking it may of been a faulty
hard drive, I replaced the old drive, but got the same result. I
checked the ribbon cables, and even changed them, but still, no
change.

The power supply and processor are still blowing air, but I don't
actually get any BIOS beeps?

PLEEEEASE can ANYONE give me suggestions on this? I'm begging!

--
egan706
2 answers Last reply

    Let me see if I understand what is happening: You installed a new hard drive
    and now upon boot you are getting a quick CD check, no floppy light, and it
    doesn't progress beyond this point. Here are what I see as possible causes,
    most likely first.
    1. Your hard drive is improperly jumped (slave, master, single, cable
    select, etc.) Read the manufacturer's documentation for how to jump the hard
    drive.
    2. Your BIOS (perhaps older BIOS) can't handle the hard drive size. Again,
    read the manufacturer's documentation. Many larger drives have a jumper
    selection to "trick" the BIOS.
    3. Your boot order isn't allowing you to boot from the CD (perhaps it's
    trying first to boot to the HD). This is less likely, since you seem to be
    getting "hung" trying to detect the hard drive.

    Hope this helps.

    "egan706" wrote:

    > Hi... yesterday, I bought a new 40GB hard disk drive, and Windows XP
    > home ed. I went through the normal hard drive fitting procedures, but
    > when I came to boot... all I got was a quick cd drive check, no floppy
    > search, and nothing on the screen! Thinking it may of been a faulty
    > hard drive, I replaced the old drive, but got the same result. I
    > checked the ribbon cables, and even changed them, but still, no
    > change.
    >
    > The power supply and processor are still blowing air, but I don't
    > actually get any BIOS beeps?
    >
    > PLEEEEASE can ANYONE give me suggestions on this? I'm begging!
    >

    > --
    > egan706

    You did partition and format the hard drive before you tried to use it...?

    "egan706" <egan706.1eor10@pcbanter.net> wrote in message

    > Hi... yesterday, I bought a new 40GB hard disk drive, and Windows XP
    > home ed. I went through the normal hard drive fitting procedures, but
    > when I came to boot... all I got was a quick cd drive check, no floppy
    > search, and nothing on the screen! Thinking it may of been a faulty
    > hard drive, I replaced the old drive, but got the same result. I
    > checked the ribbon cables, and even changed them, but still, no
    > change.
    >
    > The power supply and processor are still blowing air, but I don't
    > actually get any BIOS beeps?
    >
    > PLEEEEASE can ANYONE give me suggestions on this? I'm begging!
    >

    > --
    > egan706

Hard Drives Windows XP