Please please help me!!

October 25, 2004 4:48:39 PM

Hi... yesterday, I bought a new 40GB hard disk drive, and Windows XP
home ed. I went through the normal hard drive fitting procedures, but
when I came to boot... all I got was a quick cd drive check, no floppy
search, and nothing on the screen! Thinking it may of been a faulty
hard drive, I replaced the old drive, but got the same result. I
checked the ribbon cables, and even changed them, but still, no
change.

The power supply and processor are still blowing air, but I don't
actually get any BIOS beeps?

PLEEEEASE can ANYONE give me suggestions on this? I'm begging!

--
egan706

More about : please

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 4:48:40 PM

Let me see if I understand what is happening: You installed a new hard drive
and now upon boot you are getting a quick CD check, no floppy light, and it
doesn't progress beyond this point. Here are what I see as possible causes,
most likely first.
1. Your hard drive is improperly jumped (slave, master, single, cable
select, etc.) Read the manufacturer's documentation for how to jump the hard
drive.
2. Your BIOS (perhaps older BIOS) can't handle the hard drive size. Again,
read the manufacturer's documentation. Many larger drives have a jumper
selection to "trick" the BIOS.
3. Your boot order isn't allowing you to boot from the CD (perhaps it's
trying first to boot to the HD). This is less likely, since you seem to be
getting "hung" trying to detect the hard drive.

Hope this helps.

"egan706" wrote:

> Hi... yesterday, I bought a new 40GB hard disk drive, and Windows XP
> home ed. I went through the normal hard drive fitting procedures, but
> when I came to boot... all I got was a quick cd drive check, no floppy
> search, and nothing on the screen! Thinking it may of been a faulty
> hard drive, I replaced the old drive, but got the same result. I
> checked the ribbon cables, and even changed them, but still, no
> change.
>
> The power supply and processor are still blowing air, but I don't
> actually get any BIOS beeps?
>
> PLEEEEASE can ANYONE give me suggestions on this? I'm begging!
>

> --
> egan706

Anonymous
October 25, 2004 11:55:52 PM

You did partition and format the hard drive before you tried to use it...?

!