Configuration Help

My HP desktop and IBM Thinkpad i Series are hooked up to a Linksys
BEFW11S4 router with both having Windows ME and both able to access the
internet; but I need some help in getting these computers to interact with
each other. I tried (and failed) by using their Network Wizards for this
purpose. If this group is not the place to ask, are there any informative
web sites on this subject?

---
More about configuration help

    John Imp wrote:

    > My HP desktop and IBM Thinkpad i Series are hooked up to a Linksys
    > BEFW11S4 router with both having Windows ME and both able to access the
    > internet; but I need some help in getting these computers to interact with
    > each other. I tried (and failed) by using their Network Wizards for this
    > purpose. If this group is not the place to ask, are there any informative
    > web sites on this subject?
    >

    > ---

    Once your wireless connection are up and alright, it is exactly as if
    you were using ethernet.

    Give them the same Workgroup (case sensitive), same range of IP (same
    subnetwork) and try to ping each other (via the run > command (or cmd ?)
    > ping IPoftheothercomp). Check if your firewalls stop something...

    Aphrael...
    --
    "La demande mondiale d’ordinateurs n’excédera pas cinq machines."
    (Thomas Watson, Fondateur d'IBM, 1945)

    On Thu, 19 Aug 2004 22:02:44 GMT, "John Imp" <jonimp@verizon.net>
    wrote:

    > My HP desktop and IBM Thinkpad i Series are hooked up to a Linksys
    >BEFW11S4 router with both having Windows ME and both able to access the
    >internet; but I need some help in getting these computers to interact with
    >each other. I tried (and failed) by using their Network Wizards for this
    >purpose. If this group is not the place to ask, are there any informative
    >web sites on this subject?

    See:
    http://www.wown.com/j_helmig/winme.htm
    for WinME sharing setup and troubleshooting info.
    Basically
    1. Have both machines use the same workgroup name.
    2. Have "file sharing" enabled in Control Panel -> Network thingy.
    3. On the C: drive of the machine with file sharing enabled, right
    click on a folder, select "sharing", and make it "shareable".
    4. Go to the other machine, and:
    Run -> \\machine_name
    and you should see a directory of the shared folder.
    I've skipped a few things but that's about it.

    Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558

Wireless Networking