windows xp upgrade after hard drive failure

xual

Distinguished
Feb 22, 2004
My hard drive on my machine failed. I bought a new WD caviar 120 gig hard drive for my machine but failed to realize one thing. My HP did not come with the original win me disk but rather a recovery disk. These disks attempt to reinstall win me but instead of formatting for 120 gigs, it formats to 49 gigs. Will I be able to fix this after the fact when I use my win xp upgrade disk? Also the disk that came with the drive won't boot. Any advice would be great.

peartree

Distinguished
Sep 7, 2001
Well, obviously your system (and the recovery CD) is so old that it won't support a large HD. I suggest that you boot using a floppy ( you DID create a boot floppy, right? ), then partition the drive in three or more pieces. That should take care of the problem. Be aware that you probably don't want to make your boot partition ( C: ) larger than 8 gigs, since Win ME is still based on DOS and doesn't boot well from anything bigger than that.

<font color=green>****</font color=green> Never Assume <font color=red>ANYTHING</font color=red> <font color=green>****</font color=green>