Worth the $100 to go 64-bit gaming?

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
I know this was probably asked before but I did a search could not find anything. I upgraded to 4GB (from 2gb) of ram on 32-bit Vista premium. I know only 3GB can be used by 32-bit windows. I know you need 64-bit version of windows to be able to address all 4GBs of ram.

If i go 64-bit will my 32-bit windows games be able use all 4GB of ram? even with 3GB I run out of mem well playing games like AoC with high settings. I found a OME version of windows vista 64-bit home Premium for $100 is worth the upgrade?

Computers Specs Below:

Dell XPS410

JDocs

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2008
The OS will be able to use all 4gb of ram however Windows will limit each program to a maximus of 2gb unless they have special support. Still worth it though as with just 2gb other things (such as windows) detract from the available 2gb.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

You just answered the question yourself (the bit about running out of memory!!)

Just bear in mind that individual 32-bit processes (i.e. 32-bit games!!) are still limited to addressing 2Gb-4Gb even
on a 64-bit OS...

I refer you to:
http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/aa366778.aspx

I personally use Windows XP x64 and its OK...

Bob

LePhuronn

Distinguished
Apr 20, 2007
And if your 32-bit Vista Premium is legit you should be able to get the 64-bit version for free if you contact Microsoft directly (then again it's a Dell so I doubt you have a proper Vista disc).

or have M$ stopped doing that now?

jujubefruit

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
$100 for 64-bit gaming? YES, but where are 64bit games? har har har I kill me. er...no spam please....
uh...er... oh I like spam as in can luncheon spam, I meant no spam as in no flaming feedback posting...

I read the original post, I scan the subsequent posts, and the question should be " $100 for 64bit os for gaming"? The answer is YES. I love technology, you love technology, everybody reading this love technology. Just like ice-cream.

Unfortunately, 64bit os desktop shell is a bit weak, as if microsoft chop it off so they can have something to add to the next release. For example, on vista64, dual monitor setup is easy as eating apple pie. Then you found out there is no support for independent background desktop images. Let me remind everybody in days of ms-dos, in the release microsft and ibm jointventure call microsoft os/2, Bill Gates demo that you can add a picture to the desktop and even folders since it was an os/2 object. Microsoft people reading this scare yet? Then, no more microsoft os2, but then the release of windows 95 (and win nt3.51 within 6months). Again, we see a demo from microsoft that you can have a picture as your desktop on windows 95. Since microsoft made it easy to have dual monitor, why not make it easy to have a different image for each desktop---where's Bill Gates? With vista, You have to buy third party software like http://www.realtimesoft.com/ultramon/.

Another example, on vista64, there is no active desktop. Back then, you got slow internet connection, slow uni-core cpu, and a massive cpu hog but cool active desktop integrated into windows. Today, you got fast internet, dual-cpu, giga size ram, and the dumb microsoft people took out and lost active desktop. Who took all the brains from microsoft? har har har, I kill me.

I speak from experience. I am using vista64 plus uac enable (stupid thing with 32bit games unaware of uac). And if User Access Control is design to work behind the scene and seamlessly, how come many of today gamers or endusers find this to be false? The brains has left microsoft. get down and dance. everybody everybody...lets techno.

jujubefruit

perham3d

Distinguished
Jul 12, 2007
ok.....after reading jujubefruit's post my mind feels like it just got grabbed at either end at twisted violently whilst a thousand leprechauns in stilletos played a game a football on it.

am i the only one that has severly struggled to understand that? :S

any info on that free 'upgrade' to 64bit from 32? sounds kinda usefull but google didnt really yield much info in the short amount of time i had to look.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

No you weren't... maybe he had smoked to many jujubefruits before posting....

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
No it's not worth it just for gaming. Your key will work with a 64bit install as long as it's no Vista Home Basic. Just get the right media use your key with the clean install and you're done.

crom

Distinguished
Aug 20, 2007
With a real lack of 64 bit gaming applications, it's not worth the 100 dollar upgrade at this point. When Windows finally forces everything to be 64 bit only, then that might change. However in this OS life cycle, aka. Vista, sticking to 32 bit should serve you just fine with 4 gigs of memory. The only real advantage of 64 bit that I've seen in Windows is on the server end of things.

bobwya

May 21, 2005

I would just add you need a 64-bit OS with systems with multiple high-end GPUs e.g. SLI 8800-Ultra/GTX or SLI with the new 2xx series (etc., etc.). The graphics memory is mapped into the address space for the OS. The usable amount left over after obtaining new cards will be reduced because of your operating system, specifically its data lane structure. All 32-bit operating systems have a memory cap, which includes system and video memory, of 4 GBs. When that threshold is passed, the system will reduce the amount of available system RAM to preserve video RAM. This problem can be solved by upgrading to a 64-bit OS.
OK most folk can get by on 2Gb of useable system RAM... but not me!!

Bob

jujubefruit

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
jujube fruit is an actual fruit. It is a little bigger than a US quarter. It looks like a miniture green apple with greenish pear like skin. The seed looks like a olive seed, hard too just like olive seed. It has a crunchy apple like texture. Jujubefruit also has a small negligible medicinal attribute to help relieve your chest like cough medicine. Ripe jujube fruit is a mild sweet taste and has less or no tart taste. Ripe jujube fruit has a color mixture of rust brown and some light green all over.

You can buy jujube fruit in asian grocery stores when it is in season in southern california. You can buy dried jujube fruit (super dry) any time in asian store. I still don't know the english name for dried jujube sold in asian store. If you want dried version, you can check out chinese herbal medicine store too. Dried versions are usually cook in sweet soup or in deserts.

There you have it. Jujube fruit is a rare type of fruit that gives you a medicinal effect to your body (relieves lungs in coughing).

If you are once again smitten by my posting, please acknowledge jujubefruit and remind remember you can get paid with concepts of :
information overload

jujubefruit

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008

OMG, (har har do you text? my first use of OMG...unbelievable)

I don't understand the confusion. First, it is worth it because 64bit is good technology. For example, at&t has technology and means to offer video and voice telephone in the 1970's, but people say "WTF, I can just walk across to the neighbor and talk to him". Another example in the early days before netscape, an up an coming computer nerd recommmend an expensive T1 connection to connect two office buildings to share emails. A healthy strong and vibrant manager not wanting the technology would says "WTF, I can just walk across the parking lot and drop off the paper in less than 15 minutes.". WTF...that's old school. everybody everybody. let's techno.

Okay, so I was a bit winded. I can't help it, blame it on IT support field of work. But the bottom line is, the brains has left microsoft. Why?

Well, I did say when microsoft os/2 was selling, microsoft's first wave of advertisement has Bill Gates selling using the feature of having an image on your desktop as a selling feature of microsoft os/2. This was a really big thing in technology and computer graphics. Amiga computer users was large and serious with computer graphics. Let me stress that. Having a bitmap image as your desktop background was a technology and computer graphics innovation for windows. Then microsft drop os/2 and leave it to ibm. Microsoft switch to NT for exclusive ownership, microsft release windows 95. All IT professional want the desktop background feature or windows 95 would not be selling. Microsoft shows everyone that you can have a bitmap for your desktop with windows 95. A feature to have an image as your desktop was also used by sales person to sale windows 95. WTF...that's old school. everybody everybody. let's techno.

SEE? WTF should not be use by amateurs to respond in a post. You lame school user. Since I am nice, let me continue...

So, why buy or upgrade to a product with a selling feature that did not get upgraded with dual monitor support? Other than for technology? Ultimately, the brains has left microsoft because why would microsoft want to gypped you the consumer by selling vist64 with no upgraded independent desktop bitmap support for dual monitor? One, big desktop image spanning two monitor screen should not be the expected technology upgrade. Don't be lame school, okay? everybody everybody. let's techno.

Furthermore, active desktop has a lot of complaints from users because the hardware was not there. Microsoft is a software company, not hardware company. I am going to stop here. Let's techno.

jujubefruit

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Really? Cool.. Can you post a pic of a jujube fruit please?

getme

Distinguished
Jun 9, 2008
I've been using 64bit vista with no real problems for some time now, and there are a few games that have patches that supposedly make them run "even faster" under vista. That said would I have paid an extra $100 to go 64 bit? No. In fact the only reason I even bothered was because I was eligible for the "free" (less the rediculous shipping charges) upgrade.

liljone

Distinguished
May 11, 2008
thx guys for the help. :p

Update: I talked to Microsoft they said not worth getting 64-bit unless I get more then 4GBs of ram. Even for gaming they said it would not help. Plus they said OME keys do not work for 64-bit upgrade. :(

jujubefruit

Distinguished
Jun 15, 2008
More facts on jujubefruit: http://www.crfg.org/pubs/ff/jujube.html

picture link instead of me understanding the copyrights issue:
(one variety found) http://www.simply-thai.com/Thai-Market_Fruit_JuJube.htm

You can buy jujube fruit seedlings (small tree) from most nurseries in southern california. You can special order from the ones in Florida, just google jujube. You can plant one if you live in the southern half of usa. Just be aware, the area where you live has a "climate zone", the seedlings you buy from nursery has info on which "climate zone" it can survive in, the nursery can help you with both info before you buy and plant. If you want to plant it yourself, buy fertilizer for fruit tree from a company call "kellog". Do not use cheap fertilizer from animal, it is too strong but good for vegetable garden.

physx7

Distinguished
Sep 21, 2007

Thanks!