Ethereal_Dragon

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Ok, I just recieved the rest of my components in the mail. I paid careful attention to every detail of hooking everything up, but the system still won't start. At first the when I would push the power button the system would turn on, then shutdown again after about 2 or 3 seconds. The next morning I tried again, and the system would stay on, but the moniter was getting no input, and the system just wouldn't boot. This is still what happens even after I took everything apart and re-assembled it again, twice. Any help that anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated.

The system chasis is a Chieftec Dragon, the motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X w/ onboard LAN and Audio, an AMD 2200+XP processor with a Thermaltake Volcano 9 heatsink & fan. I have one 512MB stick of PC2700 DDR333 RAM. Powering up the whole system is an ANTEC TRUE 430 power supply. The video card I am using is an ATI RAGE 128 PRO.

Flyboy

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I guess there's no chance in the motherboard being shorted since you reassembled it.

Is the RAM of good quality? That's the only thing I can think of unless of course your motherboard is bad. Shame you can't swap components...no any friends with DDR333 RAM or an AMD processor (compatible of course)?

Ethereal_Dragon

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
I took my computer to my friends house for him to see if he could help out at all. We looked at all of the connections and plugged everything in. I hit the power button on the Power Supply and the Green LED on the mobo went on. So then I pressed the chassis power button, and the computer started. About a second and a half later, all of the lights in the house flickered and the computer was off. There was also a smell in the air that didn't smell right. It ended up that the ANTEC TRUE 430 Power supply got fried somehow. And YES, we did use a surge protector, whatever the flicker was, I have a feeling it was caused by the Power Supply. I am going to try to do a replacement with NewEgg.com, but this is my first time doing business with them, so I don't know how it will go.

=====--------------------=====
The cheat is, GROUNDED!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html