Sign in with
Your question

Startup Trouble

Last response: in Motherboards
January 10, 2003 12:33:05 AM

Ok, I just recieved the rest of my components in the mail. I paid careful attention to every detail of hooking everything up, but the system still won't start. At first the when I would push the power button the system would turn on, then shutdown again after about 2 or 3 seconds. The next morning I tried again, and the system would stay on, but the moniter was getting no input, and the system just wouldn't boot. This is still what happens even after I took everything apart and re-assembled it again, twice. Any help that anyone can give would be GREATLY appreciated.

The system chasis is a Chieftec Dragon, the motherboard is an ASUS A7V8X w/ onboard LAN and Audio, an AMD 2200+XP processor with a Thermaltake Volcano 9 heatsink & fan. I have one 512MB stick of PC2700 DDR333 RAM. Powering up the whole system is an ANTEC TRUE 430 power supply. The video card I am using is an ATI RAGE 128 PRO.

More about : startup trouble

January 10, 2003 1:06:11 AM

I have basically the same problem w/ the system I'm trying to setup. It just won't boot.
January 10, 2003 1:17:41 AM

Do you even see the BIOS screen? I can't even get there, but I am still trying. I am thinking about trying to change some of the jumpers like the CPU Overvolt, but I don't want my CPU to get fried.

The cheat is, GROUNDED!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html
Related resources
January 10, 2003 1:30:27 AM

I guess there's no chance in the motherboard being shorted since you reassembled it.

Is the RAM of good quality? That's the only thing I can think of unless of course your motherboard is bad. Shame you can't swap components...no any friends with DDR333 RAM or an AMD processor (compatible of course)?
January 10, 2003 10:44:32 AM

did you try clearing CMOS?

<i>It's always the one thing you never suspected.</i>
January 10, 2003 11:14:43 PM

I took my computer to my friends house for him to see if he could help out at all. We looked at all of the connections and plugged everything in. I hit the power button on the Power Supply and the Green LED on the mobo went on. So then I pressed the chassis power button, and the computer started. About a second and a half later, all of the lights in the house flickered and the computer was off. There was also a smell in the air that didn't smell right. It ended up that the ANTEC TRUE 430 Power supply got fried somehow. And YES, we did use a surge protector, whatever the flicker was, I have a feeling it was caused by the Power Supply. I am going to try to do a replacement with NewEgg.com, but this is my first time doing business with them, so I don't know how it will go.

=====--------------------=====
The cheat is, GROUNDED!

http://www.homestarrunner.com/sbemail.html
!