Task Bar has disappeared after installing video card

I installed a Radeon 9200 video card on my Dell Dimension 2400 system with XP
Windows. Somehow, someway I have lost my taskbar at the bottom of the page.
I do know that you can do this by dragging in out of site or to the side and
I have tried that part to no avail. I am thinking that in the installation
process I might have inadvertently changed something that would make the
taskbar disappear, or would the video card have something to do with this.
The start button and everything is gone.
Help!
Thanks.
5 answers Last reply
More about task disappeared installing video card

    The Radeon video card has a wide range of screen
    resolutions, most likely you have set the display to be
    bigger than the physical screen size. Right click on the
    desktop in a blank area, select properties on the pop-up
    window. Then click the settings tab. You'll find the means
    to reset the display, try 800x600 to start and then make
    adjustments as required.

    Since the Dell 2400 does not have an AGP slot, I presume you
    added a PCI version if the Radeon card. Did you check for
    issues with the on-board graphics and did you install the
    proper ATI Radeon drivers?

    "Catralphie1" <Catralphie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    in message
    |I installed a Radeon 9200 video card on my Dell Dimension
    2400 system with XP
    | Windows. Somehow, someway I have lost my taskbar at the
    bottom of the page.
    | I do know that you can do this by dragging in out of site
    or to the side and
    | I have tried that part to no avail. I am thinking that in
    the installation
    | process I might have inadvertently changed something that
    would make the
    | taskbar disappear, or would the video card have something
    to do with this.
    | The start button and everything is gone.
    | Help!
    | Thanks.

    Hi,

    Yuo may be able to solve your problem by doing this.

    click on "My Computer"
    click on "Change a setting"

    When the window opens up you should have an icon called "Taskbar and start
    menu"

    Click on this and a new window will open up giving you various options on
    how you would like your taskbar and start menu.

    Hope this works for you.

    Bye

    Don

    "Catralphie1" wrote:

    > I installed a Radeon 9200 video card on my Dell Dimension 2400 system with XP
    > Windows. Somehow, someway I have lost my taskbar at the bottom of the page.
    > I do know that you can do this by dragging in out of site or to the side and
    > I have tried that part to no avail. I am thinking that in the installation
    > process I might have inadvertently changed something that would make the
    > taskbar disappear, or would the video card have something to do with this.
    > The start button and everything is gone.
    > Help!
    > Thanks.

    Thanks for you reply Jim,
    Screen Resolution is not the problem as I had it set for the smaller screen
    size. I did install a PCI Radeon Card and I did check for issues. The Dell
    2400 has a motherboard graphics card. After about two reboots the Radeion
    Card picked up as default and I havn't had any trouble with it.
    Since I posted I have found a resolution to the problem. I found on the
    internet a fix-it program that found my taskbar. I wish I could remember
    where I found for others who might have this same problem. I will try to
    find out and post.
    Thanks for your help Jim.
    Catralphie1.

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > The Radeon video card has a wide range of screen
    > resolutions, most likely you have set the display to be
    > bigger than the physical screen size. Right click on the
    > desktop in a blank area, select properties on the pop-up
    > window. Then click the settings tab. You'll find the means
    > to reset the display, try 800x600 to start and then make
    > adjustments as required.
    >
    > Since the Dell 2400 does not have an AGP slot, I presume you
    > added a PCI version if the Radeon card. Did you check for
    > issues with the on-board graphics and did you install the
    > proper ATI Radeon drivers?

    > "Catralphie1" <Catralphie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message
    > |I installed a Radeon 9200 video card on my Dell Dimension
    > 2400 system with XP
    > | Windows. Somehow, someway I have lost my taskbar at the
    > bottom of the page.
    > | I do know that you can do this by dragging in out of site
    > or to the side and
    > | I have tried that part to no avail. I am thinking that in
    > the installation
    > | process I might have inadvertently changed something that
    > would make the
    > | taskbar disappear, or would the video card have something
    > to do with this.
    > | The start button and everything is gone.
    > | Help!
    > | Thanks.

    Thanks Don for your help.
    If you read my previous response to Jim you will know that I have resolved
    the problem. Thanks for taking the time to help me out. I will however
    write down your suggestion as a prossible fix in the future.
    Catralphie1

    "Jim Macklin" wrote:

    > The Radeon video card has a wide range of screen
    > resolutions, most likely you have set the display to be
    > bigger than the physical screen size. Right click on the
    > desktop in a blank area, select properties on the pop-up
    > window. Then click the settings tab. You'll find the means
    > to reset the display, try 800x600 to start and then make
    > adjustments as required.
    >
    > Since the Dell 2400 does not have an AGP slot, I presume you
    > added a PCI version if the Radeon card. Did you check for
    > issues with the on-board graphics and did you install the
    > proper ATI Radeon drivers?

    > "Catralphie1" <Catralphie1@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote
    > in message
    > |I installed a Radeon 9200 video card on my Dell Dimension
    > 2400 system with XP
    > | Windows. Somehow, someway I have lost my taskbar at the
    > bottom of the page.
    > | I do know that you can do this by dragging in out of site
    > or to the side and
    > | I have tried that part to no avail. I am thinking that in
    > the installation
    > | process I might have inadvertently changed something that
    > would make the
    > | taskbar disappear, or would the video card have something
    > to do with this.
    > | The start button and everything is gone.
    > | Help!
    > | Thanks.

Windows XP