A7N8X Hard Freeze Sometimes

MeTaSpARKs

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
Hello All: Thank you for reading my thread. I hope I get some good suggestions.

My setup: Asus A7N8X-DX (1002.001 Bios), AMD 2100+ PAL at 1730Mhz, MCXC-472 HS with 80mm attached to MB, 640MB PC2100 (512,128, slot 1,3), Powercolor Radeon 9700 Pro, Maxtor 80 GB 7200RPM, CDRW, DVD, FDD, Alienware Case with two 92mm attached to MB. Chainwell 340 PSU.

My problem: Ever since getting this board, I have had occasional lock ups. It only happens within the first two minutes of computer load up, if it happens. I'll turn on the computer (usually after it being off all night), and everything will load fine, then after about a minute and a half, I'll hear my speakers pop once, and the mouse and system locks up. If reset, the system won't POST. I'll need to powerswitch the PSU, wait about 30 seconds, and then power back on hoping the system will boot.
Before the 1002 bios, when it would boot, the processor would come out reading as a 1500+ and the RAM would be back to 100Mhz bus. But since 1002 bios, this hasn't happened (yet!). If the system runs beyond two minutes, it'll be rock stable. I can do a Prime95 torture test on it, will running 3DMark2001SE. No problems.

My question: What do you think it is? Have any of you had the same problem?

Additional Info: PSU volts are as follow from Asus' PCProbe software. +12@12.544. +5@4.892. +3.3@3.328. Vcore@1.792. Seems normal right?

Thanks for your help ahead.

MeTaSpARKs

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
Are you using the onboard sound or an add on?

<font color=purple> You know its bad when license plate letters all look like file extensions </font color=purple>

MeTaSpARKs

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
I'm using the onboard sound. Since my upgrade to the 1002.001, I've seen more stability with the board. However, I have experienced one freeze. I believe this might be a power supply issue, but since it runs rock stable for days if it doesn't lock up in the first two minutes, I am wondering otherwise. I'm probably going to have to test the PSU theory by just buying another unit. There goes $150.00 :(.

I'll let you guys know...

MeTaSpARKs

paulj

Distinguished
Feb 15, 2001
Why are you spending $150 on a ps

<font color=red>The solution may be obvious, but I can't see it for the smoke coming off my processor.</font color=red>

Vyrzeden

Distinguished
Dec 26, 2002
You do have quite a bit on just a 340 PS, but don't spend $150 for one. Get a decent 400 and see what happens. Antec, Sparkle, and Enermax are pretty good ones off the top of my head and shouldn't be more than $80 or so.

Vyr

ejsmith2

Distinguished
Feb 9, 2001
Personally, I like the Leadman 500w psu's for ~$55. You only get 420w out of them, but it's a <i>good</i> 420w. :)

"I personally think filesystems should be rewritten from scratch every 5 years..." --- Hans Reiser

BastardTom

Distinguished
Jan 11, 2003
If I were you, I'd go to directron.com and order me a nice Fortron 350W PS for $38. In a PS review by Tom, the Verax came up as one of the best; Enermax was eighth! Towards Tom's conclusion, he states that fortron is verax's distributor. The 300W Verax he tested actually handled ~380W (I'd have to double check that stat, but it was way over its specs). At any rate, Fortron is the way to go, I just ordered myself one. If you want to check out Tom's review, just search under PS for Verax.

To deny our own impulses is to deny the very thing that makes us human.

MeTaSpARKs

Distinguished
Dec 27, 2001
Well thank you to all those who replied. Thanks for the suggestions on the power supplies, too. I decided to go with the Antec True Power 480w. I bought it from a local distributor for $96.00 plus tax. (http://www.tcwo.com). It saved me money on shipping. One thing I was aiming for when I built my case was quietness in operation. The True Power is definitely a lot more quiet than my old Chaintech. It's also lowered my computer temps. I think its because of its dual fan structure, where one of the fans is located above the CPU heatsink drawing air out through the second fan in the back. The True Power also comes with dedicated fan connectors for my two 92mm and its silenced them a ton. I don't know if the verax could have offered it but I am sure its also a great PSU. (But maybe not this good). I was going to go for the 550w which was like $120 with tax. That's where I rounded up to $150.00 for a psu. Anyways, since I have installed the PSU, it appears the hard freeze has disappeared. All the voltages are below their marks by less than 10%, and the 12 volt isn't at 12.5 volts now but at 11.9. Once again, thanks for the replies and best of luck to any and all with A7N8X problems. We'll get through this!

=)

MeTaSpARKs

RCPilot

Champion
I love my 430 w True Power for how quite all the fans in my case are. I run mine the same as you do & could not be happier.

I'm still learning & having fun doing it!!!!!!<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by rcpilot on 01/16/03 03:53 PM.</EM></FONT></P>