I want to install secrity anti virus on my computer at the moment i am using
Mc Afee Is noton any better

Symantec's Norton Internet Security 2005 provides essential protection
from viruses, hackers, and privacy threats. Norton AntiVirusâ„¢ is the
world's most trusted antivirus solution.** Nortonâ„¢ Personal Firewall
keeps personal data in and hackers out. And Nortonâ„¢ Privacy Control,
Norton AntiSpamâ„¢, and Nortonâ„¢ Parental Control safeguard you and
your family from other common online risks.
Ref: http://www.symantecstore.com/dr/sat1/ec_MAIN.Entry10?V1=641229&PN=1&SP=10023&xid=27674&CID=0&DSP=&CUR=840&PGRP=0&CACHE_ID=0

--
Carey Frisch
Microsoft MVP

Be Smart! Protect Your PC!

"LK" wrote:

| I want to install secrity anti virus on my computer at the moment i am using
| Mc Afee Is noton any better

Use McAfee version 8 or 2005.. no fancy ads content like Carey found for
Norton.. McAfee takes less out of a system, and has never let me down..

"LK" <LK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to install secrity anti virus on my computer at the moment i am
>using
> Mc Afee Is noton any better

dude

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

Hi ... I have try both Norton and Mcafee in the past
until i knew better , I will say for sure that i will
never use either again ... Want to use a really good anti
virus program ?? Then go with AVG pro
http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_index.php

With AVG Pro you will get 2 years updates for the price
that the others will only give for one year ... This is a
really good anit virus program ... Now for a firewall i
have been using sygate pro which i find to be really good
as well , here the website for it
http://smb.sygate.com/home_small_office.htm

Use these 2 programs and i bet you will be glad you did

Hi

Norton can, and does, cause havoc in the Registry. It is also just about
impossible to *completely* uninstall it.

Try Panda - http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp

--

Will Denny
MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User

"LK" <LK@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to install secrity anti virus on my computer at the moment i am
>using
> Mc Afee Is noton any better

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:48:29 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:

I had the same problem with Trend. But If you take a moment and think about it
there's a real good reason anti virus software is hard to remove.

Where would you be if the 1st worm on the web could remove your anti virus
software with a few well placed registry entries ?

You need to ALSO hand remove after a reboot, any thing in the programs
directory folders and all.

>Hi
>
>Norton can, and does, cause havoc in the Registry. It is also just about
>impossible to *completely* uninstall it.
>
>Try Panda - http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp

Hi

Norton puts so much garbage into the Windows System files and the Registry,
that's it's hopeless trying to **completely** uninstall it. Have Norton got
a FAQ of their own to that effect - I wonder??

--

"Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:48:29 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> wrote:
>
> I had the same problem with Trend. But If you take a moment and think
> about it
> there's a real good reason anti virus software is hard to remove.
>
> Where would you be if the 1st worm on the web could remove your anti virus
> software with a few well placed registry entries ?
>
> You need to ALSO hand remove after a reboot, any thing in the programs
> directory folders and all.
>
>>Hi
>>
>>Norton can, and does, cause havoc in the Registry. It is also just about
>>impossible to *completely* uninstall it.
>>
>>Try Panda - http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp
>
> --
> more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 15:53:52 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org> wrote:

I can only speak for trend.
the ini file normally holds the info on what's installed.
That half worked with trend, but there was also a dat file with info on what
was installed. The dat file was binary so it had to be searched by hand for
what was installed.
ie: Trend kept telling it couldn't continue installation cause of a previous
version. As I removed things from the registry one by one, [building a batch
removal tool] I found it was hanging on trend V 11. I never owned that version,
but there was an entry in the registry.
The cure was a reboot and removal of the trend directory. And fresh install
from there.
other places to look would be windows/common/virus software name goes here/

LK wrote:
> I want to install secrity anti virus on my computer at the moment i
> am using Mc Afee Is noton any better

You'll get nearly as many differing opinions as you will

I used, and recommended, Norton Antivirus and then Norton Internet
Security, for many years, on Win98, WinNT, Win2K, and WinXP, all
without any significant problems. I had used McAfee prior to that.
But it's been several years since I've been tempted to try McAfee
products. Their quality seemed to take a steep nose-dive after they
were acquired by Network Associates.

However, when my subscription to Symantec's updates for Norton
Internet Security 2002 came up for renewal (at a cost substantially
higher than the preceding year's subscription), I decided to try less
expensive solutions. I downloaded and installed the free version of
GriSoft's AVG (http://www.grisoft.com/us/us_dwnl_free.php ) and the
free version of Sygate's Personal Firewall
(http://smb.sygate.com/free/default.php ). Both have proven to be
easily installed, easy to use, and quite effective. Additionally, I
was pleasantly surprised to see a small but very noticeable
improvement in my PC's performance, once I'd replaced the Symantec
product.

--

Bruce Chambers

Help us help you:
http://dts-l.org/goodpost.htm

having
both at once. - RAH

matt

Actually it's quite simple to remove manually and is well documented on
their support site.

My experience w/ AV products is to stick w/ Norton. I've tested that,
McAfee and other 3rd party utils, and from what we saw as a team, Norton did
the best job.

Matt

> Hi
>
> Norton puts so much garbage into the Windows System files and the
Registry,
> that's it's hopeless trying to **completely** uninstall it. Have Norton
got
> a FAQ of their own to that effect - I wonder??
>
> --
>
> Will Denny
> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
> Please reply to the News Groups
>

> "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:48:29 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
> > wrote:
> >
> > I had the same problem with Trend. But If you take a moment and think
> > about it
> > there's a real good reason anti virus software is hard to remove.
> >
> > Where would you be if the 1st worm on the web could remove your anti
virus
> > software with a few well placed registry entries ?
> >
> > You need to ALSO hand remove after a reboot, any thing in the programs
> > directory folders and all.
> >
> >>Hi
> >>
> >>Norton can, and does, cause havoc in the Registry. It is also just
about
> >>impossible to *completely* uninstall it.
> >>
> >>Try Panda - http://www.pandasoftware.com/home/default.asp
> >
> > --
> > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

I'm not going to have a Norton 'debate' ATM. There are plenty of postings
in these NGs and via Google presenting the suggestions of others with regard
to Norton - installing and uninstalling.

--

"Matt" <mpiechota@cybrzn.com> wrote in message
> Actually it's quite simple to remove manually and is well documented on
> their support site.
>
> My experience w/ AV products is to stick w/ Norton. I've tested that,
> McAfee and other 3rd party utils, and from what we saw as a team, Norton
> did
> the best job.
>
> Matt

>> Hi
>>
>> Norton puts so much garbage into the Windows System files and the
> Registry,
>> that's it's hopeless trying to **completely** uninstall it. Have Norton
> got
>> a FAQ of their own to that effect - I wonder??
>>
>> --
>>
>> Will Denny
>> MS-MVP - Windows Shell/User
>> Please reply to the News Groups
>>

>> "Husky" <cbminfo@toast.net> wrote in message
>> > On Wed, 27 Oct 2004 14:48:29 +0100, "Will Denny" <willdenny@mvps.org>
>> > wrote:
>> >
>> > I had the same problem with Trend. But If you take a moment and think
>> > about it
>> > there's a real good reason anti virus software is hard to remove.
>> >
>> > Where would you be if the 1st worm on the web could remove your anti
> virus
>> > software with a few well placed registry entries ?
>> >
>> > You need to ALSO hand remove after a reboot, any thing in the programs
>> > directory folders and all.

> about

>> > --
>> > more pix @ http://members.toast.net/cbminfo/index.html

I've discovered AVG 6.0 several months ago from one of my discussion groups.
Go to www.grisoft.com and look for the free download. I've never had any
problems with it.

"LK" wrote:

> I want to install secrity anti virus on my computer at the moment i am using
> Mc Afee Is noton any better

AVG 6 becomes obsolete on 31 December. Try the new AVG 7 free edition. A
little more complicated than version 6, but it's still free. Works fine for
me.

I have a free copy of Panda Antivirus intalled on my system. when I tried to
uninstall it windows restarted halfway into removing the Program. Now Panda
does not work and I can't uninstall or reinstall it eather. I can't install
any other anti virus software without install Panda. Could some one help.

John

Reboot and press F8 before Windows loads, boot to safe mode.
Try to uninstall it in safe mode.

"jclj1069" <jclj1069@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in
message