Sign in with
Your question

Crysis Issue on Windows Vista 64-bit

Last response: in Video Games
June 20, 2008 11:14:24 AM

I've been having trouble getting Crysis running on my new computer. Basically, Crysis will load up until 100% on "Loading in progress...," but then seems to freeze and will not display the "Press any key to enter the game..." message. This occurs in both DX10 and DX9 versions of the game, as well as in the 32-bit and 64-bit versions of the game. Not only that, but it also occurs when running the game directly from the game disk.

I'm sure that the disk is not corrupt -- I've played from the exact same disk on Windows XP 32-bit without error.

What I've tried so far:
Reinstalling the game (multiple times)
Running it as an administrator
Running it in compatibility mode
Running it in windowed mode
Updating DirectX
Updating all video, sound, and motherboard drivers
Patching the game to the most recent patch (yes, I did them all in order as well)
Rinse and repeat...

I might have missed a few...

System specs:
Dual 9800GX2's in QSLI
XFX 780i Motherboard
2GB DDR2 800 RAM [2x1GB]
Intel C2D e8400 @ stock
SATA 2.0 hard drives
Windows Vista Ultimate 64-bit

Upgrading to 4GB of RAM soon.
Computer is self-built as well.
June 20, 2008 12:08:56 PM

That's really weird, I play it on Vista Home Premium 64 bit and haven't had any issues like that.

Is the hardware the same as when you played it on XP too?
June 20, 2008 12:20:16 PM

mothhive said:
That's really weird, I play it on Vista Home Premium 64 bit and haven't had any issues like that.

Is the hardware the same as when you played it on XP too?

Nope, this is a new build.

I'm really starting wonder if it's the e8400 right now though... (or any other hardware, for that matter)
I might just RMA it and get a different processor if this happens on any other games.

Related resources
June 20, 2008 12:41:31 PM

Tried setting the gx2 to single gpu for crysis? And I assume you play crysis patched with 1.21?
June 20, 2008 1:20:42 PM

stemnin said:
Tried setting the gx2 to single gpu for crysis? And I assume you play crysis patched with 1.21?

Yes and yes.

I just downloaded and installed the Spore trial to see how it would perform in that. I ran Fraps as well and it only showed 25 - 30 fps. I'm almost positive this is CPU related though - otherwise the games would load, right?

Any opinions on this? I mean... it can't be both cards that are DOA or something, right?
*prays they're not*

If they are... that really sucks heh. I can't return them to Newegg x.x
June 20, 2008 3:02:36 PM

What power supply do you have? If it doesn't provide enough power to the GX2, it could reduce the performance.
June 20, 2008 4:34:26 PM

mothhive said:
What power supply do you have? If it doesn't provide enough power to the GX2, it could reduce the performance.

EDIT:
Alright, I just took out one of my sticks of RAM and one of my GX2's then installed XP 32-bit - it runs fine. 50 - 70 fps on medium right now, but that's only because I've only got my e6600 installed as I've not switched back to my e8400 yet. Thanks to everyone that tried to help out in anyway :) 

I'll install the second stick of RAM and see if that was it... if not, I'll go buy Vista 32-bit and pray to God that it works right.
!