a7n8x compatible with pc3500 EL (256) memory

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Just determined that the reason our asus a7n8x deluxe mobo would not boot is the Ocz PC3500 EL(256) stick is either not good or is not compatible with my mobo. can anyone offer a hint as to what I should do? this memory was recomended to us as a good bridge between what we can afford now and being prepared for future upgrades.Is there some way of using a pc2100( which does allow the system to boot)then going back in and changing the bios so that it can support the pc3500 this is my sons first build so neither of us totally understand just what we are able to do yet. it took us a week to determine that it was a memory issue. our system is : athlon xp 2000+ / A7N8X deluxe mobo./ gainward GForce3 Ti 200 64 video card/liteon 16x dvd-rom / I/O 52x24x52 cdrw / floppy / chieftec case w/450w (austin) psu./ WD 80 gig HD 7200rpm

<P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by perik57 on 01/10/03 08:42 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
It is probably that your OCZ ram is no good. Apparently
alot of counterfit OCZ ram was discovered and it's pure
crap. You can read their press release if you want.
<A HREF="http://www.ocztechnology.com/press/pressrelease.php?id=31" target="_new">http://www.ocztechnology.com/press/pressrelease.php?id=31</A>
If your DDR is the real stuff, then make sure the BIOS is
at least version 1001G

<font color=purple> You know its bad when license plate letters all look like file extensions </font color=purple>

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
after looking at thread you offered it still seems to be the real deal (engraved heat speader, correct lable, clam shipping pack. It came from cold concepts( out of canada) I will check bios. thanks

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
it was seated correctly...we both had checked all those simple solutions that are offered here on THG. At least we got plenty of practice with how to get a board ready for booting. someone mentioned about making sure the bios was at least a 1001. how do we check that ? and you mentioned making sure it was at least 5ns.? hate to admit that our first mistake was leaving the protective tape on that covers the heat transfer pad on the heatsink . luckily we remebered before powering up for the first time and removed it. :)

KWPLunchbox

Distinguished
Jan 2, 2003
You said it will boot with the PC2100 ram right? In the
beginning, after the video card info clears the screen,
you'll see the bios version listed. You can press your
pause button during the process to stop it if you want.
If you've got the coloful logo, push tab or whatever it
says to press to get rid of it. If your Bios doesn't
say 1001G then you need to download it from Asus.com
and update it. This should solve any problems assuming
that your OCZ module isn't bad.

<font color=purple> You know its bad when license plate letters all look like file extensions </font color=purple>

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
Have already verified that it is a 1001g.. It is printed on the chip on the mobo. so it must be a dead ram. thanks for the help . I'll just have to wait for cold concepts to reply to my return request I guess

Location..., Location...,Location !!!!

modeverything

Distinguished
Jan 10, 2003
Well ASUS does explicitly state that the fastest memory supported by the A7N8X is pc3200. Maybe the memory you are using (pc3500)is not compatable.

<A HREF="http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n8x/specification.htm" target="_new">http://usa.asus.com/mb/socketa/a7n8x/specification.htm</A>

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
I don't think it's the ram that is not supported. I am using corsair PC3500 in my A7N8X. Although I set the timings to aggressive the first time and it wouldn't boot a 2nd time until after I cleared the CMOS. I had to play with the settings a few times to get the best performance.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool:

tilepusher

Distinguished
Jul 31, 2001
Yo P,

Are you over clocking your FSB? What are your cpu & system temps? Do you know that there still is no JEDEC standard for anything higher than PC2700 or DDR333? What mhz is your DDR set to run at? Do you know that your XP 2000+ is a 133 mhz cpu & not a 166mz cpu?

Answer these questions & I will have a better picture of why your DDR is giving you grief.

Peace Out..................tile

I wish my imaginary friends could give me better advice