intel without issue??

sirca

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
But only AMD platform have problems??
Nobody with Intel based paltform (cpu+motherboard) has issue?
In this forum I read only via/nforce/sis/ali problem with mobo for amd and no thread on intel chipset issue.
Thank for reply and sorry for my bad english.

sirca

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
I am looking for a new system but I am confused between AMD+nforce2 and Intel+845pe (no price problem, only stability request).
Thank you

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
AMD processors haven't had the benefit of all the money Intel spends on processor and platform development. It's amazing they have been able to compete with Intel at all!

So over the years, the weaknesses with the AMD chips have become "urban legend". They burn up because they have no built in thermal protection. They use way more power and run way hotter than Intel. They crack if ya' look at em'...Yada... Yada... Add to that the crapy chipset support AMD has endured over the years and you can see it's been a tough road for them to compete with Intel.

In truth, a well set up AMD system is every bit as stable as a well set up Intel system. Now, looking at all the hardware being sold out there, I think there are more poorly set up AMD systems out there simply because they cater to the low cost sytem builders who tend to skimp on quality parts throughout their systems. Hence you see a lot more posts about AMD systems with problems. Put Intel into the same low cost boat, and they have the exact same problems... take a look at how many people complain about e-Machines systems based on Intel chips!

So is Intel without issue? Not! But there certainly isn't anything wrong with Intel either!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
Heh heh... the nForce2 chipset is a great chipset, but a lot of people are having problems with it as it's brand new. I'd go with the PE chipset at this point. I've been holding off on buying an nForce2 platform till it matures a little bit...

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You'll almost never seen anything but software problems on an Intel made motherboard based system. But Intel makes motherboards that don't let you overclock or crank up the settings. It's possible that if everyone were to leave everything at the slowest settings on other systems, you might see similar results. Not likely though with some chipsets-go to the Win9x forum and see how almost every Win9x problem is related to a VIA chipset.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

sirca

Distinguished
Jan 31, 2002
Hi and thank you for quick reply!
What do you think about PE quality considered what you can find in the forum at www.asusboards.com ?
In that forum there are 1500 posts on p4pe and 150 on a7n8x!!
What about this??
Thank you

Scout

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007
I haven't taken time to review that forum, but here's my thought. The PE chipset is about the 4th derivative of the 845 chipset. This time they added support for PC2700 memory. Since it's evolved from the 845 using SDRAM, to the 845D using DDR memory, to the 845E offering 533 front side bus speeds and now the G, GL, and PE variants... see the picture? The PE chipset is very mature. That's not to say Asus couldn't mess it up on their P4PE board... Perhaps there are so many posts because the board has been out longer than their nForce boards. I donno...

nForce2 on the other hand is brand new. I guarantee you there will be more issues discovered on that chipset over the next few months than the PE chipset.

I just recently built a rig based on the 845E chipset. Runs perfectly stable and overclocks with amazing ease. My friend just built a PE based rig. Again, perfect result... stability and excellent overclockability. Hummmm... come to think of it, maybe we should give some credit to the maturity of Intel's P4 processors!

Scout
700 Mflops in SETI!

Clarentavious

Distinguished
May 24, 2002
Actually Intel HAS had a few problems in the past, though generally not as many as its competitors.

Take the MTH issue with the I820 boards for example. This "memory translator hub" was supposed to allow people to use either RDRAM or SDRAM on the motherboard, however the board would only function with RDRAM without a fatal result. Many chipsets were shipped back to Taiwan after angry customers brought them back to the store.

Also, there were some actual bugs with Rambus and Intel's first Willamette 423 pin processors when the very first ones were released (just the brand new ones though, this was resolved shortly).

Mainly though, with Intel you'll experience less compatibility/stability issues, however you'll have poorer performance compared to systems with AMD processors.

But Intel made some bad decisions even if they didn't result in stability issues when they first started working on Pentium 4 technology.

They had this "4x quad pumped" idea, Rambus was way too expensive at that time, also it didn't perform all that well, there was PC600 and 700 along with 800, not just PC800 at that point in time; and the latency times weren't optimized. The first P4 processor itself didn't perform that well either, the pipelines were too small, and P3's actually beat them at certain applications.

To be honest, if you get an AMD processor and go with an SiS 745 chipset, I don't think you'll have any problems. SiS was even considerate to post a memory validation chart on its webstie.

Beyond that, chipset wise, I wouldn't deal with VIA as they have a ton of compatibility and stability problems. To this day they are still talking about revising already made chipsets like the KT400B now.

That leaves you with ALi, which I wouldn't bother with. ATi has made a few chipsets, but I wouldn't mess with those either.

You could go with an AMD chipset, I think they are making an Irongate 761 now, this will probably not have any compatiblity issues, I would assume one who knows how to make processors could make a motherboard chipset most compatible with them and other components. Though an AMD motherboard probably won't offer the best performance.

-----

Benchmarks don't lie :)

Victory

Distinguished
Feb 17, 2002
well first of all you need realize that when someone get's something(unless it's mind blowing) they never rant and rave about how good a product is. It performs as expected and that's it. When someone goes wrong all hell breaks loose. As for AMD early on they had all types of issues running on Intel chipsets(K62 and 3's). Since then I've never had any major issue, that 1 either wasn't my fault or 2 wasn't resolved with an updated driver or BIOS.

The important thing here is that there are so many variances on ram/video/chipsets/sound cards/printers etc....it's virtually impossible(if not totally) to plan for every combination.

My A7N8X has been flawless beyond one bad reboot which was my fault. Since then it's been superb.

Nor do I tell anyone that's the only way to go. I recommend only AMD to the people I sell systems to. Only because that's who I've followed the last few years since the Athlons arrived and I'm much better versed in the way of the Athlon these days.

You have to decide which one is better for you based on how you use your system. Both Intel and AMD have strengths and weaknesses in certain tasks. They all can do the job, but each architecture has different perks.

Figure out how you use your system first, then look at your total budget, then decide on what is the most I can get for my money, and what's tried and true, or do I want to gamble on something that's new.

:cool: Save heating costs on your home, overclock your PC!!! :cool: