Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
Hey there. Just got a nice lil system from micro-pro

here is the spec:
1 Corsair 3500 cas 2 512 megs of ram (ddr400)
Athlong XP 2700
Generic Geforce 2

I got the motherboard combo pre tested and shipped assembled. To my shock, i noticed that the HEATSINK WAS SHIPPED ATTACHED!!! I appreciate them looking out for me but that is a MASSIVE heatsink. To make matters worse, the packing is retarded, all of the packing material is on the top and bottom and there is nothing on the sides.

Anyway, so i setup my system and it wouldnt post. Fans, spun up, no error codes on either speaker just no video signal. All it does is flicker a little.

Allright, so i pulled out the motherboard, reseated the ram and set it on the antistatic bag and foam and hooked up the power supply (vantec black stealth, aluminum 470 watts) Checked the video card too, to make sure its snug.
No dice.

So i borrowed my friends video cards and a stick of pc2100 kingston ram. I then proceeded to test the motherboard with a radeon 9700pro, geforce 1, a pci video card and some other video card and the mentioned stick of ram. Nothing.

I think that the CPU socket received damage during shipping. I tried different ram so i know its not ram related. I tried different vid cards so i know its not them. The only thing i havent tried is reseating the CPU but there is a sticker that says ill void my warranty if i remove it so i cant really test the cpu for seating.

Every time i try to turn on the MOBO the monitor flickers a yellow color in agp and red in pci. Regardless of cards. Has anyone tried this mobo with dead ram? If the ram is dead will the motherboard return some kind of error codes or something? Im hearing nothing from the speakers.

any suggestions will be helpful, i allready submitted an RMA form but id like to eliminate any dumb things before i pay another shipping fee.

AAAAAAH S**T.

Damn it, i want to use htm here.
Man....damn....may rambus take your soul.

Rob423

Distinguished
Feb 5, 2002
where did you get this from? newegg?

also.. if you think that's bad, try buying an A7n8x motherboard, paird with a fast XP2800+ and 1 GB of pc3200 corsair xms.. and only being able to run xp2200+ speeds!!! HOW GAY IS THIS!

basically i did so many tests.. there is a huge thread on the cpu section. anyway, i am RMA'ing the board this monday, and my friend got me another Asus a7n8x board that i'll try again!! hopefully i will get the results and the stability like many others!

did you try Clearing CMOS?

Is THG Slightly Slacking??

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
BTW, the anti-static bag has a conductive coating, you should set the board on cardboard or paper (a phonebook works nice) to test it outside the case.

Now, did you actually hook up a POWER BUTTON to the BOARD and try using it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

perik57

Distinguished
Dec 14, 2002
I have had simular problem w/ A7N8x dlx using OCZ 3500EL ram I am 99.9% sure the ram is dead as I "could" get a pc2100 to boot it up. it was sugested t me that this mobo might not be capable of handling the 3500 ram . or that my bios was not a 1001g. I checked and it is 1001g so that leaves "dead ram" or "incompatibility issues" it was also mentioned to me that the mobo is not rated( in fact specificly says) that PC-3200 is the fastest it is intended to handle. although I have not personally seen that opinion This memory was recomended to me by a well read member of THG so I would tend to take his word for it and conclude that it is dead ram.

Location..., Location...,Location !!!!

Stoochie

Distinguished
Aug 14, 2001
I put the anti static bag on the bottom and foam on top so i dont think its shorting. BEsides the motherboard doesnt work in the case either.
As far as ram, the THG review of this motherboard used exactly the same ram im using. Also, www.corsairmemory.com verified this motherboard for this ram. Also, i tried a different stick of ram in this mobo and it still didnt work. So i doubt that the ram is dead. Also, with dead ram, wont the motherboard beep or something?

Damn it, i want to use htm here.
Man....damn....may rambus take your soul.

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
Hey stoochie I think I have the same problem. Do all the fans,cd roms, and lights work? Just no display comes up when you hit the power button?? Post all of your specs so I we can compare systems. I've noticed two things that might be the same. One the same memory and two (not familiar with geforces is it a pci??) if so I have a pci card too and that might be the problem. Heres my settup:

A7N8X Deluxe
1800+
Volcano 7+
XMS 3500 512mb
Quantum Fireball Hard Drive
Lite-On DVD
HP Burner
TnT2

I think I'm going to call asus Monday.

Monarch

Distinguished
Jan 13, 2003
EVERYONE - this is your Corsair RAM that does it. A7N8X does NOT support it well, you have to wait for a neewer BIOS or send that RAM to Corsair to get a newer version stick!

Stormfury

Distinguished
Jun 6, 2002
I'm using my old video card because I don't want to spend $275 right now on the radeon 9700 pro when the prices will drop soon when FX comes out. I wanted to keep some money in the bank :)