Sign in with
Your question

So bored!

Last response: in Video Games
June 24, 2008 8:58:18 PM

I've been playing a lot of TF2 and DOTA on WC3:FT lately, and I have to admit that I am becoming extremely bored cycling between the two.

So I come to you guys at Tomsgames.com to ask for a good PC title to purchase.

I have COD4, Age of Conan (waiting till they add some 55+ quests...), Sins of a Solar Empire, the whole Source FPS bundle, WC3, and Crysis. For me this is really strange because I'm used to being able to play one game for months at a time, but nothing seems to grab my attention anymore. I need something to help me wait for the new releases this Fall/Winter.

Any genre is fine with me as long as its just plain fun.

Please help!

More about : bored

June 24, 2008 9:38:16 PM

I'd suggest The Witcher if you're into RPGs. World in Conflict was one of my top 10 for lasy year, too. Not a traditional RTS, but still good stuff.

And lastly....I hesitate to even suggest this, because it has SecuROM, and the DRM is completely outrageous, but....Mass Effect is still a great game. The PC version definitely improves on a lot of things from the 360 version. But the DRM is just horrible, so don't say I didn't warn you.
June 24, 2008 9:54:34 PM

I was actually looking at World in Conflict, Company of Heroes, or Dawn of War as I've heard they're really great RTS's.

I forgot to mention I prefer games with online multiplayer capabilites. Thanks for the recommendations so far!
Related resources
June 24, 2008 9:57:47 PM

Company of Heroes, in my estimation, is probably greatest RTS of the last five years. But that's just me. 10 out of 10.
June 24, 2008 10:10:43 PM

Company of Heroes is absolutly fantastic - the single and multi are mind blowing. You can even get the Gold version of it (Including Opp. Fronts expansion) for £15 these days.
June 24, 2008 11:40:03 PM

Do what I did and go old school. You can buy Wolfenstein 3d, Commander Keen, and all the older id games for about $5 each through Steam now.
June 25, 2008 1:44:13 AM

I actually prefer Dawn of War to Company of Heroes, although they're both great games. I just like being able to build a base how I want it, rather than having churches convert into barracks and things like that.
June 25, 2008 2:06:59 AM

Company of Heroes is a must if you like RTS's. I think you should also look at Civilization 4 for an excellent strategy game. I got it back in 2005 and my cousin and I still play it religiously even today. That is one game that will NEVER get old.
June 25, 2008 3:50:51 AM

Company of Heroes is great.
June 25, 2008 3:58:16 AM

Yea, CoH you really can't go wrong at all - it has this really great blend of stylized and potentially complex gameplay but with a simple base system over it. The story is great, the graphics are great, and in general its just a lot of fun.
June 25, 2008 12:09:38 PM

I agree with Darkbob and go old school, only I'd go the Homeworld series and Max Payne 2
June 25, 2008 12:43:51 PM

I prefer Dawn of war, but both are great games.

If you are looking for something that you can accidentally lose several hours in, stardock (now called impulse apparently) has something called Space Rangers 2 for $20. Apparently the game came out back during the whole starforce fiasco and the publisher used it... needless to say it bombed horribly because they scared off the entire niche that would have supported it.

Now they got rid of starforce and it is on Impulse. Great game, fairly challenging, but a lot of fun. There is an expansion available for it if you are interested in that. Kind of sandbox open galaxy thingie. Top down view.

They have a demo too so you can give it a shot before buying.
June 25, 2008 2:44:05 PM

I'd cancelled both my WoW and AoC subscriptions earlier this month because I can't justify paying for MMOs over the summer. Really I hadn't been able to get into any games lately. But I was feeling a little under the weather the last two days so I popped in Civ IV, which I promptly played for 10 hours straight. If your into that type of game you can grab just about any Civ version you want and easily eat up a weekend one turn at a time.
June 25, 2008 2:58:09 PM

I second the old school sentiment: Play Gothic and Gothic 2 (and Gothic 3 if you want to continue the series).

I think there's a comilation with all three games out there.

All they require is a little bit of patience as you get used to the inventory, trading and controls.

I think FEAR is the most immediatley gripping game I've played in the last 5 or so years.
June 25, 2008 3:32:41 PM

wart thumbed said:
I was actually looking at World in Conflict, Company of Heroes, or Dawn of War as I've heard they're really great RTS's.

All three are great games that you can't go wrong buying, I also like the suggestion to look at some older games, I've been playing a few older games that I missed when they came out and if the graphics are not a problem for you they still have alot of value.
June 25, 2008 9:34:29 PM

Here are a few others that were not said before you may or may not have that I would suggest:

F.E.A.R. - Overall Great
Oblivion - will keep you busy
Fable - I liked the story
BF2 - BF2142 - Multi player was fun for a while
Medal of Honor Airborne - Good some new stuff
BioShock - I only played 360 version not sure if PC has any issues but story and game are very entertaining

Most of these titles are pretty cheap.
June 26, 2008 2:08:56 PM

There is really only 2 servers that I play on, but they are always populated. You will want to play the CA gametype most likely (although others are good as well), but this game is probably going to cost me my gf. It is free, so give it a try...its not for everyone since it is very fast paced, but it is what I have been playing recently and I dont see myself stopping until it just dies. Graphics are very clean and well done for a free game, but they are nothing special...this game can run on almost any hardware.

www.warsow.net (this is what will be holding me over until SC2, Crysis Warfare and the new Quake arena game)

Quake 4 and UT3 are also good games.

Best quake 4 vid I have ever seen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hvvl_P-QJTc

I am not sure if you have it already, but Day of Defeat Source is a great game (on steam).

Best,

3Ball
June 26, 2008 4:08:38 PM

RADIO_ACTIVE said:
Here are a few others that were not said before you may or may not have that I would suggest:

F.E.A.R. - Overall Great
Oblivion - will keep you busy
Fable - I liked the story
BF2 - BF2142 - Multi player was fun for a while
Medal of Honor Airborne - Good some new stuff
BioShock - I only played 360 version not sure if PC has any issues but story and game are very entertaining

Most of these titles are pretty cheap.

good call on Oblivion and Fable
July 12, 2008 12:13:27 AM

Dude, i love old School RTS -
Red Alert 2- Yuri's Revenge , still play till now , and the XWIS server though not as crowded , is still fine ..
July 12, 2008 8:47:21 PM

You could look at any of the total war games are
medieval: total war
rome: total war
medieval 2:total war

Its also a turn based strategy with a different feel to it than the civ games, it fits my style. And when it comes to a battle, you can choose to fight it out yourself comanding the units and stuff. Medieval 2 has some pretty nice graphics :p 
July 14, 2008 3:40:14 PM

mosdapwn said:
Dude, i love old School RTS -
Red Alert 2- Yuri's Revenge , still play till now , and the XWIS server though not as crowded , is still fine ..

I grew up playing the CnC games, and I think that red alert 2 and tiberian sun are tied for my favorites. although renegade wasn't well recieved, my dad and I still play it to this day. It's nice to know there are other people with a good taste in games lol
!