xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
hi all

I have had two Asus i815 chipset motherboards for about a year now, one is the first i815 chipset the other is the i815E, up to this point i always assumed that they were running in 4x AGP mode because i have always run 4x AGP graphics cards on them.

However interestingly enough when i recently updated to the new nvidia unified drivers, in the genral properties tab it shows your AGP bus speed and neither of my machines are posting as 4x AGP, both are running in 2x agp mode.

my cards are, ASUS v9280s-tvd (Geforce4~ 8x), and
Hercules Geforce II GTS 64, both of them should run in 4x mode without a problem, i have all the latest chipset drivers from intel for both motherboards and the latest BIOS revisions, but both of them will run in 2x AGP mode exclusivly.
as you can imagine my graphics performance suffers tremedously because of this, im only getting half the bandwidth im supposed to over my AGP bus.

Is it possible that the Graphics Card driver, or Chipset driver is throttling down the AGP bus speed when it doesnt need 4x AGP bandwidth or is 4x AGP mode a static mode that doesnt change according to load?

Someone please adress this issue and give me some ideas on what i can do to correct this.

Thanks

Xeen

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
It's in the driver or a hidden BIOS "feature". Let me explain:
1.) The driver might not enable 4x mode on your board unless you tell it to. There is a tool for nVidia cards availabe at guru3d.com to do it
2.) Asus has a hidden limit that kicks down the AGP mode to 2x whenever you overclock past a certain point. There is a file that loads the new info to BIOS at boot (from windows) to get around that.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

xeenrecoil

Distinguished
Jan 7, 2003
hi all

The problem ended up being with the motherboard chipset, it was over clocked too far, aparently Asus motherboards throttle down the AGP to 2x when the FSB is over clocked past a certain point.

Thanks for the info Crashman

Xeen

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Now all you need is the file to fix that! Yes, there is a fix floating around out there, yes, it is hard to find.

Hehe, I just found it in an old folder, where would you like me to send it?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

This is a problem on all I815 chipsets not just ASUS boards. It also dissables 4/way interleave on the memory when overclocked.

Search for STUFF PCR a program which re-enables AGP4X and 4/way interleave on the memory.

There are also modified bios files available to do the same thing.

I aint signing nothing!!!

TRENDING THREADS