speakers do not work after clean install of XP

I did a clean install of XP and now the speakers do not
play system sounds or any sounds. In the Sounds and Audio
Devices window, the volume, speaker, and sound settings
are dimmed.

When I ran the sound troubleshooter I got the
message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To
install mixer devices go to Control Panel -> Printers and
other hardware -> Add Hardware." When I did this, the
wizard said it did not find any new hardware on the
computer.

Anyway, I read some place that it was a good idea to turn
on peripherals when you do a clean installation... but I
forgot to turn the speakers on.

Should I redo the clean install with the speakers turned
on or is there an easier way to fix the problem?

Thanks for your help,

Kevin
2 answers Last reply
More about speakers work clean install

    Go to control Panel/system/hardware/device manager
    look under Sound,video&game controller
    see if any of the devices are red X or yellow exclamation
    right click that device and "update driver"
    there might be a few
    peter
    "Kevin Simons" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I did a clean install of XP and now the speakers do not
    > play system sounds or any sounds. In the Sounds and Audio
    > Devices window, the volume, speaker, and sound settings
    > are dimmed.
    >
    > When I ran the sound troubleshooter I got the
    > message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To
    > install mixer devices go to Control Panel -> Printers and
    > other hardware -> Add Hardware." When I did this, the
    > wizard said it did not find any new hardware on the
    > computer.
    >
    > Anyway, I read some place that it was a good idea to turn
    > on peripherals when you do a clean installation... but I
    > forgot to turn the speakers on.
    >
    > Should I redo the clean install with the speakers turned
    > on or is there an easier way to fix the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Kevin

    Kevin,
    Find out the maker model of your sound card and go to their website and
    look for a winxp driver
    Mike D
    "Kevin Simons" <anonymous@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
    >I did a clean install of XP and now the speakers do not
    > play system sounds or any sounds. In the Sounds and Audio
    > Devices window, the volume, speaker, and sound settings
    > are dimmed.
    >
    > When I ran the sound troubleshooter I got the
    > message: "There are no active mixer devices available. To
    > install mixer devices go to Control Panel -> Printers and
    > other hardware -> Add Hardware." When I did this, the
    > wizard said it did not find any new hardware on the
    > computer.
    >
    > Anyway, I read some place that it was a good idea to turn
    > on peripherals when you do a clean installation... but I
    > forgot to turn the speakers on.
    >
    > Should I redo the clean install with the speakers turned
    > on or is there an easier way to fix the problem?
    >
    > Thanks for your help,
    >
    > Kevin

Speakers Clean Install Devices Windows XP