Buying a gaming Notebook

Predator87

Distinguished
Dec 7, 2004
My situation:

I m an german exchange student (sorry about the horrorble english) and stay here in the USA for this year.
Because computers are mutch cheaper here and additional 1 Euro = $1.3 I want to buy a notebook here in the USA.
I need the notebook as a desktop replacement and 90% for gaming (HL2 Doom3, Far Cry).
Weight, size and battery life is not important.
(I know that sounds like I need a Desktop, but I want a notebook because
of Lans and I can t carry a desktop from here to germany.)

I have about $1800 and leave in the End of May, so I have 5 month before I have to order!

When I would choose a HP notebook a get a 15% discount because of EPP!

The Notebook:

I thinking about a notebook with GeForce 6800 Go or MR x800
I like the Sagar 9860 because of DDR2 and raid 0.

So what do you think about that?
Do you think the prices will be lower in 5 month?
Maybe HP will bring a new notebook?
Or, no chance to get a good gaming notebook (GeForce 6800 Go or MR x800 and maybe DDR2) for $2000 even in 5 month?

And what quality are the sager notebooks?

Thanks for the help!!!

folken

Distinguished
Sep 15, 2002
A notebook with a 6800 or x800 is not going to be anywhere near $2000 in the next few months as far as I can tell. I suppose anything is possible though.
HP doesn't really have anything like a desktop replacement at the moment. I'd look into a dell XPS if you want a serious desktop replacement. That 15% discount would be nice but HP really doesn't have anything to offer. None of their current models could run doom3, hl2, or farcry very well if at all. It looks like they are going to release a laptop with an x600 graphics card in it soon but that still won't make a very good gaming laptop.
The dell XPS laptops are simply portable desktop computers, there is nothing mobile about them. All power and no battery life :) As long as your configuration doesn't get out of hand they can be fairly reasonably priced though still out of your $1800-$2000 price range. Keep an eye on them though, the current models will drop in price dramatically when a new video card is offered.

<A HREF="http://www.folken.net/myrig.htm" target="_new">My precious...</A>