Using Nokia 3285 for Internet Access

I am hoping to use my Nokia 3285 for accessing the Internet
with my America's Choice Plan.

Any input on what I need to do this would be appreciated!
Such as what cable, software/drivers required for Windows XP
and etc.

Thank You,

Vince

"Vince Staffo" <vstaffo@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am hoping to use my Nokia 3285 for accessing the Internet
> with my America's Choice Plan.
>
> Any input on what I need to do this would be appreciated!
> Such as what cable, software/drivers required for Windows XP
> and etc.
>

> Thank You,
>
> Vince

It's not a current phone from verizon, but it is shown on the nokia website
at http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3285
Accessories at: http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3285/1,6980,acc:1,00.html
and there is a data products link at
http://www.nokiausa.com/phones/3285/1,6980,acc:1|accCategory:70,00.html,
showing a cable, but when you read the text, that model isn't listed! (text
is "Data cable allows you to use your nokia model 7160, 6360, 6340i, 6340,
or 6310 phone as a modem for your PC.")

I have that phone and use a cheapo data cable I bought on ebay. When that
phone was originally sold there was no USB cable, just serial. I have the
serial cable and it works perfectly. If you require USB, you can buy a USB
to serial converter.

In XP, add a "standard 19,200" baud modem (no special drivers required) say
on COM1. Then create a dial-up connection document to phone number #777,
username=qnc, password=qnc. This type of data works really well. You can
also dial your own ISP if you have need to do so, although #777 will connect
faster.

Incidentally, that particular phone is one of two brands that can be used
with the Ositech analog cellular modems which permit slow speed data even
when roaming. I use the Ositech king of clubs with the 3285 to use data
when roaming (albeit at 4800-9600 baud). Works fine for my text-only needs.

-Dan

PS: I have no first hand experience but for new phones, the 3589i claims to
be supported. This should give you analog, QNC, and 1X data (the best of all
worlds).

"Vince Staffo" <vstaffo@twcny.rr.com> wrote in message
> I am hoping to use my Nokia 3285 for accessing the Internet
> with my America's Choice Plan.
>
> Any input on what I need to do this would be appreciated!
> Such as what cable, software/drivers required for Windows XP
> and etc.
>

> Thank You,
>
> Vince

Latest posts