Diablo 3 Gameplay Teaser

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Probably going to be good, but not amazing. The level design looked kind of labyrinthine. reminded me too much of the jungle areas in 2. I hope it is either easier to navigate or more linear.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

I'm sure it'll be fine. The beginning looked way linear, to be honest. With the minimap displaying the "walls" for a zone you're exploring, it'll be easy to navigate through the open world areas as well, I'm sure. Plus, wasn't that part of the fun, at least playing through the first time? Going with a group of people to fight, and finding your way to the next staircase, or in original Diablo looking for the Butcher. Finding several "dead end" rooms, anticipating the "AHHHH, FRESH MEAT!"

I don't think there's anything anyone can say about this game that will make me any less excited about it. The gameplay video looked exactly how I'd want Diablo 3 to look. They've kept the original overhead view and click-to-move while improving features that needed improvement, like the skill/hotkey bar, graphics, etc. The Barbarian looks cool as ever, and all of his skills look amazing. The physics and interactive environments look cool as hell too. And scripted events actually sound pretty cool considering I'm sure they're still going to go with "randomly generated" levels, and perhaps some games you might get a certain scripted event, while others you might not, similar to the quests in the original Diablo (where you might get the lost sign, king leoric, etc. quest, and others you might not).

They realize the loot is important too, and even that basic gear looked cool as hell on the Barbarian. I'd wager uniques will have a "custom" look that will give chars an even more, well, unique look than they did in Diablo II. Diablo II is just an amazing game that's in need of the graphical, user interface, and skill overhaul that it looks like they're giving it, with a brand new story. This is how Bethesda should have approached Fallout 3, and after the disappointment that's becoming, I'm thrilled that Blizzard realizes that the gameplay aspect of Diablo II was the most important, and they've managed to respect and maintain what a lot of people love about the game while making necessary and cool-as-hell improvements. Don't tell me it's going to be "good, but not amazing" with all the garbage games that get released.

And for the record with all the piracy discussions we've had where I've said I pirate first/buy later, I'm going to be buying 4 copies of this on release date: one for me, one for my mom (who actually beat original Diablo with a Rogue before I did a long ass time ago), and 2 for my cousins. This is a game well worth it's money, I can assure you of that, and even as an occasional pirate I know a damn good game when I see one. If every company did this, I'd be broke and the industry would be happy and rich :)

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador

I'm most concerned about the potions tho...

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
Yeah, thats a good point, I was assuming potions were the same, but there were those globes as well, but if thats all the potion there is... well that could be bad.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

If they got rid of potions that would just mean:
- Regular gameplay with large groups of monsters would remain the same, as enough would drop to keep your HP for the most part
- Boss fights would be more challenging as you'd only have 1 HP bar to work with (plus whatever life leech you have)
- People couldn't be **** in duels popping full rejuvs when they're at 1/4hp

However, I doubt they got rid of potions entirely. I'd wager that you can still purchase them in town. Plus in D2, potions really weren't that useful once you hit higher levels except for boss fights or emergency situations, and if you're still able to purchase them from a vendor then they'll still serve that purpose.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
I just want them to add shadows to player characters.

How would the globs be any different than getting all those crap potions you found off slaughtered corpses anyway, other than I guess giving instant hp so you don't haft to stop THE KILLIN.

AND LET ME PLAY THE DAMN GAME!

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Well I do buy potions in town lol. Usually 2-3x as much as I can put on my belt. Plus tomes (TP).

Anyway, it'll be 2 years when this is done. They say they have act 1 playable, just adding a ton of content (quest, story, etc).

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
^ 2 years???????
...but they have the gameplay videos now! They can't take THAT long!

Oh well, it gives me more time to upgrade my 690G... plus I still need to loot some places in Diablo 2...

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Might be 2009... they got about 50 ppl on it (prob the same for wotlk, sc2).

In a perfect world, SC2 tomorrow, D3 the week after (need some time to play SC2 lol) and WotLK, maybe next year, two. :p

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

If they were both released at the same time, I'd just find a way to be at the computer twice as long. **** sleep, I've got demons to kill and zerg to own.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

We will eat and sleep when we are dead, right?

Seriously though, no way in hell are they both coming out at the same time. SC2 had a gameplay demo when it was announced and we won't be seeing it until late this year/early next.

I'd say no sooner than 6 months after SC2 comes out, but probably more like 1 year later for D3.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
Sometimes I wonder if maybe they just announce these games so they can be used by someone trying to talk a jumper down.

"Don't do it, you have so much to live for. StarCraft II is coming out probably later this year."

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006
Rob Pardo (I think that's his name) said SC2 will be delayed to 2009..

At the June 2008 Blizzard Worldwide Invitational, Blizzard Executive Vice President Rob Pardo was quoted as saying that development of the campaign was one-third complete and that there would be significantly more to show by the end of 2008.

More to show.. booooooo!

atrain

Distinguished
Jun 18, 2008

LOL

I know I was contemplating suicide before Blizzard announced D3. Now I'll wait at least till it's released plus 1-2 years.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Blizzard, doing it's part to save the world.