windows xp home updates

Since buying a new PC about 14 months ago (with XP Home installed) I have
automatically received critical / security windows updates via the internet.
There seem to have been an awful lot of them, & I do not have broadband.

If I were to have a PC problem, I might have to reinstall Windows from
scratch. Would I have to then download all the updates again?
Do any of the XP magazines include the updates on their CDs (I've looked,
but not seen any).

Do I need service pack 2 ?

Thanks

KK
2 answers Last reply
More about windows home updates

    Store Windows Updates locally for subsequent installations:
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org/saveupdates.htm

    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD:
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

    |MG| Free Download - WUtooL 1.16:

    Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
    Windows XP Shell/User
    http://windowsxp.mvps.org

    "KK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:cm008c$2g4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
    Since buying a new PC about 14 months ago (with XP Home installed) I have
    automatically received critical / security windows updates via the internet.
    There seem to have been an awful lot of them, & I do not have broadband.

    If I were to have a PC problem, I might have to reinstall Windows from
    scratch. Would I have to then download all the updates again?
    Do any of the XP magazines include the updates on their CDs (I've looked,
    but not seen any).

    Do I need service pack 2 ?

    Thanks

    KK

    You would need to download the updates again as you have been automatically receiving
    them. If you were to consider SP2, then have a look at the following information:-

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
    Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

    Service Pack 2 information
    http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

    List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

    WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx

    Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2
    http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9300becf-2dee-4772-add9-ad0eaf89c4a7&DisplayLang=en

    How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
    http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

    Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
    http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

    http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
    What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

    "KK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
    > Since buying a new PC about 14 months ago (with XP Home installed) I have
    > automatically received critical / security windows updates via the internet.
    > There seem to have been an awful lot of them, & I do not have broadband.
    >
    > If I were to have a PC problem, I might have to reinstall Windows from
    > scratch. Would I have to then download all the updates again?
    > Do any of the XP magazines include the updates on their CDs (I've looked,
    > but not seen any).
    >
    > Do I need service pack 2 ?
    >
    > Thanks
    >
    > KK