KK

Since buying a new PC about 14 months ago (with XP Home installed) I have
automatically received critical / security windows updates via the internet.
There seem to have been an awful lot of them, & I do not have broadband.

If I were to have a PC problem, I might have to reinstall Windows from
scratch. Would I have to then download all the updates again?
Do any of the XP magazines include the updates on their CDs (I've looked,
but not seen any).

Do I need service pack 2 ?

Thanks

KK

Store Windows Updates locally for subsequent installations:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/saveupdates.htm

Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx

|MG| Free Download - WUtooL 1.16:

Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org

"KK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message news:cm008c$2g4$1@newsg4.svr.pol.co.uk...
Since buying a new PC about 14 months ago (with XP Home installed) I have
automatically received critical / security windows updates via the internet.
There seem to have been an awful lot of them, & I do not have broadband.

If I were to have a PC problem, I might have to reinstall Windows from
scratch. Would I have to then download all the updates again?
Do any of the XP magazines include the updates on their CDs (I've looked,
but not seen any).

Do I need service pack 2 ?

Thanks

KK

You would need to download the updates again as you have been automatically receiving
them. If you were to consider SP2, then have a look at the following information:-

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/downloads/updates/sp2/cdorder/en_us/default.mspx
Order Windows XP Service Pack 2 on CD

Service Pack 2 information
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

List of fixes included in Windows XP Service Pack 2:

WinXP SP2: What's New for Internet Explorer and Outlook Express
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/ieoeoverview.mspx

Application Compatibility Testing and Mitigation Guide for Windows XP Service Pack 2
http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/details.aspx?FamilyID=9300becf-2dee-4772-add9-ad0eaf89c4a7&DisplayLang=en

How to successfully install Windows XP Service Pack 2.
http://www.fixyourwindows.com/winxpsp2install.htm

Are You Ready for WinXP SP2?
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?pr=windowsxpsp2

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/sp2/sp2_whattoknow.mspx
What to Know Before You Download and Install Windows XP Service Pack 2

"KK" <trebor@yeleek.nospam.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message
> Since buying a new PC about 14 months ago (with XP Home installed) I have
> automatically received critical / security windows updates via the internet.
> There seem to have been an awful lot of them, & I do not have broadband.
>
> If I were to have a PC problem, I might have to reinstall Windows from
> scratch. Would I have to then download all the updates again?
> Do any of the XP magazines include the updates on their CDs (I've looked,
> but not seen any).
>
> Do I need service pack 2 ?
>
> Thanks
>
> KK