Diablo = linear = eyecandy = short term fun

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
? Diablo and WoW were anything but short term for me.

Also anyone who would say that diablo qualified as eye candy.... I'd seriously question their judgement.

stemnin

Distinguished
Dec 28, 2006

Here is a site for you http://www.diablofans.com/forums/ , I swear, they dislike D3 and WoW as much as you do.

PS I'm not being sarcastic, really, look at the forum posts.

dragoncyber

Distinguished
Dec 17, 2007
My Short term experience with WOW =

9 months of pure addicted bliss.

Arthritis of the wrist and pointer finger, and possibly right elbow.

Sleeping approximately 4 hours a night.

Gaining many virtual friends, losing real ones.

Eating took on a new and habitual routine of sandwich in one hand, mouse in the other. Oh, and a glass of milk.

I had to replace my computer chair because the cushioning flattened out to the point my ass became numb with 2 hours of gaming.

TV became non-existent.

Showering involved 7 minutes of thinking about what I was going to do once I got back to the game world, where my Warrior showered only when chasing Murlocks into the lake!!

Work became nothing more than a space and time that I had to pass through, to get home , and log in to my real Virtual life.

Breaks were taken for 3 things> Sex, Sleep, Work. After each of these I would return back to WOW.

I was so addicted that I even convinced my girlfriend to play, and upon our break up she still plays to this day. That was 2 years ago.

If the internet went down for any reason, at all, my entire next three hours would be spent trying to reset the cable modem, calling the cable company, and checking to make sure, I paid my bill. When they told me there was an outtage in my area, I would speak curses upon them that Satan himself would deem inappropriate.

Family time durning any holiday event was commenced with an awkward feeling of missing something that you want so badly and the desire to get back to it by any means necessary, even if that meant lying to your girlfriends parents and telling them you don't feel well just to get back to your gaming on Christmas Day.

In Closing just let me say, that no one I have known who has played this game, has ever been affected by it only short term, and I can now say that the game has not been installed on my system for more than 1 yr and 9 months.

But the mint condition box, with all its CD's, still sits on my Gaming Shelf, taunting me, beckoning me to install it, just to see, just to ride the Gryphons again, just to sneak through the dark forests, and have the life of an adventurer. Just that little temptation is what I leave in my presence everyday. Staring at me from the Gaming Shelf, the only thing keeping me from opening it is that now I have my life back.

s0ur

Distinguished
Jul 1, 2008

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
If you had played Asheron's Call you wouldn't be addicted to WoW. It took everything and power above to break from Asheron's Call and really there hasn't been a game that could compare.
Best bet is to just get rid of the disks.
What it took from me was a selling of my account.
I had become the most hated player on Solclaim, the hero of Darktide, and returned to get the highest level character first on Solclaim. Then I gave it all away and my friend got it banned.
I returned a year later and it wasn't the same. It was just to much time.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Asheron's call was an amazing game.

WoW was fun for me for about 3 - 4 months.

Asheron's Call was my LIFE for about a year until I realized I had to stop.

G

wow how do you guys get that addicted. i've been playing for atleast 2 years on and off, i raid and that's all i do, but i manage to still go out with my friends and do all the normal stuff you do in your life. you just need to learn how to manage your time and you'll be fine.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008
If you do any kind of work in your spare time like design, it's easier to not get addicted because you think "Right now I could be making money." But when you finish a project or get your work done, it's nice to be able to chill the **** out, have a drink, and zone out while you play some WoW/dota/whatever else. The minute games start to replace your time spent taking care of responsibilities or things that can advance you in life as far as career, education, etc., it's time to uninstall.

Cuddles

Distinguished
Mar 13, 2008
And get rid of the disks, sell the account, etc.
Asheron's Call was an amazing game. Turning Traitor and killing my teammates who were protecting the Crystal was probably one of the most interesting and action packed experiences I ever had on a game. Scoring the kill and getting the "You will be hated forever!" from a couple dozen different sources was a blast.
The Politics on Darktide was a real blast too. From full scale wars and raids on towns to going to a noob town and just ridding it of the mid lvl vermin of PK's and preping for the next assault of an even bigger group just to protect a bunch of guys who didn't even understand why they were getting slaughtered in the first place.
I did go back and it wasn't the same Ananan.
But for a time Asheron's Call was a gaming event I have yet to relive or come even close to.

G

lol I love gaming... its fun... but getting addicted to it? idk that seems a little weird... maybe I just haven't met the right game

ovaltineplease

Distinguished
May 9, 2008
I was addicted to Diablo2 quite badly years ago, and I don't think I could ever go back to playing games like that again.

I'm getting older and I need my sleep =X

amdfangirl

Expert
Ambassador
Diablo 2 killed my life in '07 holidays... skin turned freckle-free from lack of sunlight... Didn't sleep for 2 and abit days at one point X( (should never have looked in the bargain bin...)

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007

Asherons Call is among my top favorite games of ALL TIME. It is no doubt my favorite MMO. I tried WoW once and i couldnt stop comparing it to asherons call which was far superior in every way. To bad the game has lost most of its players nowadays and the game just isnt the same. It actually makes me really sad to hear myself say that.

-- Unfortunately when this game was in its prime.. from what i remember 2000 to 03 maybe i cant be sure i was still very young and i actually remember naming my character the 8 year old kid and just sitting around holtburg looking for a patron. I wish i was older when this game came out... damn. I missed a lot of good times and you just reminded me of what DT was like back then.

Oh Snap

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2008

Yeah, speaking out loud while you type your post is pretty sad :p

terror112

Distinguished
Dec 25, 2006
Yea, I feel the same way, but about counter-strike. Man how I loved to go to my 18 y.o. Cousins house and play my first Fps game. I just realize how much I missed when that game was in its prime. Lans everywhere, it was the time to be a pc gamer. ps1 couldnt compete with that. Have always wished I was older at the time. But I am Addicted to css. Yes, how can you be addicted to an Fps game? Its when you try so hard to get better at such a competitive game just to get "known" in the community. Man I remember runescape LOL. When I was young I would rather play that POS game than see my mother once every 2 weeks. And the sad part is that I never had fun playing that game.

Ananan

Distinguished
Apr 2, 2007
Good to see a couple of fellow AC vets chime in. Damn - it's getting to the the point a lot of newer gamers probably don't even remember AC.

I just found my original AC manual a few months ago; it slipped into a box years back and I found it while cleaning. I had a lot of fun leafing through it and remembering old times.

lol - I had dial up when I got it (AC ran silky smooth for me with dial up; hard to imagine today). The total patches were over 60 mb.

I had to start the download one night and let it download all night plus the entire next day before I could play. I got to the point where I cursed those monthly update times.

Interestingly enough - I got paid $10 to try AC. It was on sale for $9.99 at a chain called Hastings with a $20 rebate attached to the box. Sure enough - I did get a $20 check from Microsoft a few months later.

papasmurf211

Distinguished
Aug 16, 2007

haha i remember when i had dial up playing AC, those updates took so long to download and i loved the game so much i just couldn't wait for it to be done. Didnt take me all night tho more like 3 hours :heink: When i finally got a cable modem everything was blazing fast and i could even play longer because the phone was free! ;) sounds weird today but it was big back then. I still have my original AC disk and cd case, gotta look for the box (doubt i have it). I even have the dark majesty disk somewhere.

I also remember AC running silky smooth even before i got the cable modem.. i guess they just optimized the game really well, that and my pc wasn't to shabby either.

They need to be make a new Asherons Call that is exactly like the original except updated graphics, new areas and more quests. Keep it 12.95 and boom AC will be back and even new gamers will know about it. This game really does deserve to be remembered, as with cuddles ive had some of the best times in Dereth that i have never seen any game match. The allegiance system is also genius. Also unlike games like Diablo 2 almost everyone is nice, friendly and helpful.. except for those team killers like cuddles :non:

pr2thej

Distinguished
Sep 25, 2008
I just read up on AC and it sounds amazing!

I played WoW for 2 years and only just sold my acct a few weeks back as i didnt want to go another year wasting my life on the upcoming expantion.

Just need something to fill the time with now and im not sure WAR is the one.......

radnor

Distinguished
Apr 9, 2008

Bad Necro is Bad.

And lay off the MMORPGs if you get addicted too much. If Wow got you hooked too much, you better not touch another.
And i'm off !!