PS3 or PC?

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Note: sorry if this is to long, sort of got carried away, just skim through it if you don't want to read the whole thing.

I am not asking which is the best or which is your favorite, I'm asking which one you think I should get. I'm 14 years old and tired of having really old stuff for gaming. About a year ago I finally decided to save my money and get something nice. Now I have about $850. After taking out the 360 and the wii (please don't ask why) I have come down to a very hard decision, PC or PS3. Getting a sick gaming PC would cost about as much as a PS3 because my brother has an old one that I could just upgrade, So price isn't a factor. (BTW, I will end up getting both, but I don't know what to get first).

Originally I have been all for the PC because I like to do programing, HTML and things of that sort and a console can't do that, and neither can my old computer. But not only does the PS3 come with an OS, but you can also give it other linux distros such as ubuntu. That means that I can do all my linux programing through my PS3 (right?).

I know PC has better graphics, but I don't really care about graphics that much anyways. When it comes to games I think it's a tie. Both platforms have good games that the other doesn't have. Controls don't mater either since I'm getting a keyboard and mouse for the ps3 and a controller for the PC (so I get could control for fps/rts and fighting/racing/ect.)

The ps3 also has lots of built in stuff like blueray and wifi. But talking about stuff like this isn't very important anyways since I will eventually end up with both (now that I finally have a job :D

The main reason I want to get the ps3 first is because it is quick, plug and play. Even though I know my way around with the PC, I still like the fact that consoles just work. Also, summer has just started and if I get the PC first summer will be over by the time I get it because of shipping, paypal transfers, and things like that. Also the built in wifi is great since now I wont have to setup a router and drag cables all over the house. Getting a PC after my PS3 also seems like a good idea because by then their will be price drops in all the hardware I want, plus if something goes wrong I will have something (the ps3) to occupy myself while I'm getting it fixed.

So in your response could you please answer these questions.

1. will ubuntu on the ps3 let me do all the programing I could on the PC
2. can I give my ps3 a newer bigger hard drive?
3. when it says free built in wifi, will I still have to pay a monthly internet fee if I don't already have wireless?
4. whats ur name in psn :p

quantumsheep

Distinguished
Dec 10, 2005
1. Ubuntu on PS3 isn't that great, just use an old cheapo PC to do it.
2. Giving your PS3 a bigger drive will invalidate your warrenty, but i'm sure it could be done.
3. "Built in Wifi" means that it can connect to your wireless connection, not that in can just connect to the internet wherever it is. You need to have a wireless router/similar.

I would say get PC now and wait for PS3, PCs are much more useful. but if i were you i'd get a 360, they're much cheaper than PS3s and to be honest i prefer mine. The online service is much better and there's loads of other feautres that the PS3 is lacking. This is coming from a guy that owns Wii, PS3, 360, numerous PCs, PSP and a DS. Then again, the PS3 does have MGS4 which is an absolutly stonking game.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

It is very simple and does not void your warranty with Sony.

@OP:

I would go with a PC as it will give you the versatility that you are looking for with ubuntu and there are plenty of good games both out and coming out this year. This is comin from someone who has every console and a PC. I play my PC the most by far.

Best,

3Ball

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
PC. Hands down the most versatile platform with by far the largest game library.

I too have all three game consoles in my house, I still tend to stick with my PC. Also the PS3 has a very poor interface design and online service. Yes it is free but so is the PC.

I'd say it is pretty much a no brainer.

By the way, upgrading your hard drive on your PS3 does not void the warranty, in fact sony has instructions on their website on how to do it. And yes you can load a different OS, but then you won't be able to play your games and it kind of defeats the purpose.

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
Yeah I know that the PC would be much better, but it could take me until the end of summer to get my PC up and running. I'll still get a PC, just not right away. Sound like a good idea?

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006
It shouldn't take more than 2 weeks to get a PC up and running, and that includes shopping around for parts and time for shipment.

If it takes you all summer you are doing it wrong.

Badasstommyboy

Distinguished
Jun 30, 2008
Dude, get the PS3, in every single one of your posts you've mentioned all the positives about PS3.....

"The main reason I want to get the ps3 first is because it is quick, plug and play. Also the built in wifi is great since now I wont have to setup a router and drag cables all over the house"

"But not only does the PS3 come with an OS, but you can also give it other linux distros such as ubuntu."

and when you talk about a PC it's in a negative "I don't really want one" way . .

"I know PC has better graphics, but I don't really care about graphics that much anyways"

"Yeah I know that the PC would be much better, but it could take me until the end of summer to get my PC up and running"

I'm guessing that you really want a PS3, you just want someone to agree with you and re-assure you that getting a PS3 is ok. So. . .

Dude, getting a PS3 is ok, it'll be fun, it'll give you loads of stuff to do, specially with all the cool extra bits coming out at the mo, and your PC you can work a couple of weeks, buy a part, work a couple more weeks, buy another part and do it that way.

PS3!!!! Mainly cos you want one so much :)

mrplow99

Distinguished
Dec 15, 2007
Get a pc it can be used for much more. Music etc and you can do that WHILST playing games. Also games are generally cheaper?

JeanLuc

Distinguished
Oct 21, 2002
If you want a PC in drag by all means buy a PS3. As far as gaming goes Sony's chief exec has stated that it's going to take 6 years for the PS3 to realise it's full potential, so if you don't waiting it out for the long haul the PS3 could be a decent investment in 6 years time.

http://www.ps3fanboy.com/2007/09/03/hirai-says-six-years-until-ps3-games-use-full-system-potential/

I should point out in 6 years time the PC will be gloriously rendering games using Ray-Tracing technology in real time (think of the recent transformers movie to get an idea of the graphics). But still as Sony have said time after time the PS3 is an investment in to the future, it works by giving them a load of money at the start which they put into a high intrest bank account which earns them a load of money for doing ah heck all the while your are left a PS3 who's best games are all 360 ports (which you already own) and cross platform releases.

On the balance perhaps you might be better of with a PC.

purplerat

Distinguished
Jul 18, 2006
I'm not really sure why you posed the question as to which one to get or which one to get first. The OP seems to have already made up their mind as to getting a PS3 (first at least).

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
@ infornography42, The only reason it would take a long time is because:
1. I have to wait for my brothers system to come in the mail
2. I have to check out what it has and see if anything was damaged
3. need to recover the administrator password since my brother forgot it
4. I have to pick out and order the new parts
5. Wait for the paypal transactions, processing ect. (which could take weeks)
6. Wait for the parts to arrive
7. Upgrade the system with the new parts, (which involves copying everything from one hard drive to another)
8. Test it out and download the newest drivers.

And do to complications that would take to long to explain, I can't be doing multiple steps at a time (please don't ask why). also, I'll be overclocking and downloading a second OS which would take even longer :|

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
In my opinion, it's the games you want to be playing. I'm a huge PC fan, but I think consoles can be a lot of fun too. (Specifically the Wii, but we won't go there :p ) If you like RTS and RPG-type games better, obviously you should go with a PC. If you like MGS 4, which I could totally understand, I'd go with the PS3. I'm sure it will eventually make its way to PC, but that kind of game is usually better suited for console controls too. If you're getting both in the end, though, I really think you'll be happy regardless of which one you choose to get first.

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
@ Oh Snap, I'd prefer to think of it this way (with food).
Would you rather have a 3 course gourmet meal, or a steak? The meal is much more complicated, and time consuming to prepare, but it is much better in the end. The steak is quick and easy but, although great, not as good as the meal. lol just my idea of it all, besides who cares because I'm getting both :)

BTW, that's a deadly rig under your post.

infornography42

Distinguished
Mar 28, 2006

Ok, lets see.
Step 1 would take an unknown amount of time, but assuming he shipped it off today, shouldn't take more than a week and a half.
Step 2 would take 1 to 2 days at most.
Step 3 would probably inadvisable and should be replaced with a straight reinstall of windows.
Step 4 could take up to a week if you are being really obsessive, but probably not more than 2 days.
Step 5 should not take longer than a day or two. If it takes longer than a day or two then you probably should order from somewhere else.
Step 6 shouldn't take more than a week and a half even with the cheapest slowest shipping.
Step 7 should take no longer than 2 days and can probably be done in an evening. And again, you would be best served with a fresh install of windows. If you want the old data, just use that drive as a storage drive.
Step 8 shouldn't take more than an evening.

Assuming the slowest and most protracted assembly conceivable... 4 weeks 2 days. Thats a month. And most of those steps can be done in a fraction of the estimated time. Most deliveries take less than a week. 1 Evening should be enough for assembly, loading an OS, installing drivers, and configuring unless this is your first rodeo, then a day and a half. Aside from step 1, everything should be done in a week and a half.

It sounds like you just really want to get the PS3, but you are seriously overestimating the length of time to build a PC.

RizzyWho

Distinguished
Aug 19, 2006
Both :) i got a PS3 a month ago!! I dont regret it!! But then again... i had money for both and did my PC up 2 LOLOL!

kkthanksbye

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
If you're only spending $400 you'd be foolish to get the PC; that being said either one has the potential to be a great choice. Unfortunately PC gaming has been a bit stale as of recently and it seems like all the new titles on the PC are games that were released on the PS3 and 360 months ago.

MAC709

Distinguished
May 25, 2008
infornography42, as I said there are certain complications plus a 10 day trip that would delay everything, don't ask about the complications, I just can't explain. Take my word for it, I've spent a long time doing all the math and stuff and the very earliest time that I could have my PC up and running is in a month. If I buy the ps3 now and keep my part time job I will have enough money to upgrade my PC by August (and still have money to be spending on my ps3 the whole time), and by August everything will be sorted out and it would only take me about a week at the most to get my PC reading for some sweet gaming.

So thanks guys, you answered my question, I'm getting the ps3 first, then the PC. Can't wait.

3Ball

Distinguished
Mar 1, 2006

lol you plainly did not need us to answer that question as we all answered differently from your final decision. Good luck with the ps3.

Best,

3Ball

G

yes... pc gaming has been "Stale" lately... but hopefully that will change in the fall... it always seems like all the good games come out in the fall... then all the crap ones come out in the spring/summer

w/e I'd go with whichever is easier... I personally am debating whether or not to get a 360... i love some of the games on it... but i'm not sure if its worth the 400 to get into and learn how much I hate the imprecision of analog sticks

Heyyou27

Splendid
Jan 4, 2006
yes... pc gaming has been "Stale" lately... but hopefully that will change in the fall... it always seems like all the good games come out in the fall... then all the crap ones come out in the spring/summer

w/e I'd go with whichever is easier... I personally am debating whether or not to get a 360... i love some of the games on it... but i'm not sure if its worth the 400 to get into and learn how much I hate the imprecision of analog sticks
I was the same way but I've gotten use to it; sure you will never be as accurate but you can learn to do decently with dual analog sticks.

To the OP, Sony is apparently releasing firmware 2.40 tomorrow which will finally bring the in game XMB and the trophy system.

KingLoftusXII

Splendid
Jan 17, 2006
Don't worry about the analog sticks, they're easier to use when drunk actually.

Owning both, I would suggest if you want to jump in and have fun, get a PS3. If you take your games seriously (sometimes too much from my experience), get a computer.

You're on a PC based site. Clearly most will recommend a PC. Since getting my PS3 a few months ago, I haven't played a single minute on my PC, the reason I built it, by the way. Don't go by what these people are saying. Buy whatever you think you'll have the most playing. If you need help with that, well...

nickc07

Distinguished
Aug 23, 2007
Well I havent read what everyone else said but I did read your entire post.

I do have a few questions: Will you build this pc yourself? I am guessing so since you said upgrade your brothers. Have you ever built a PC?

With those questions I will tell you a story of my first PC build. I think I built it to play CounterStrike (not source, but the HL mod). I ordered all the parts and had watched my friend many times work on PCs and helped also. When I put everything together nothing worked. I took it to my friends he said he thinks I fried the CPU. BUT we had a local PC shop that would test PC for free. They told me my motherboard was DOA. I RMAed motherboard..... twice..... Then looked at the CPU to see 3 VERY VERY Brownish Black burn marks......

CPU FRIED!!!! Newegg RMAed it no problem but as you can guess it took over a month of shipping stuff around and such.

Now if you have stuck with me this long here is my $0.02

If you have something to play now XBOX WII ETC.. that you are happy with I would say get the PC since you have something to fall back on to game if you mess the build up. If you dont then get the PS3 and start saving for a PC.

The prices of PCs never really fall. Yes parts 2 years old are dirt cheap now but they are 2 years old. I seem to always find myself spending the same amount to upgrade/build a new PC. I just set a budget and max the value.