Intel D845GE BV2 Extreme Graphics

DCB_AU

Distinguished
Oct 20, 2002
Question 1)
What is the Intel D845GE BV2 Onboard Exteme Graphics Chip performance equivalent too, compared to AGP graphic cards, when you have the maximum- 64Mb of system memory selected, eg. would it be similar to the performance of a Geforce 2 MX400 or less/more powerfull. (maybe GF4 MX440)

Question 2)
Would the Intel Extreme Graphics Chip be powerfull enough, when used with a 2.4 Ghz Mainboard CPU, to run Ghost Recon, Quake 3 or Resident Evil, etc, (smoothly without shaking) on a 19" monitor at 1024 x 768 resolution (or 800 x 600).
(I'll buy a AGP Graphic Card later when finances permit).

Thanks,

DCB_AU

GeneticWeapon

Splendid
Jan 13, 2003
The onboard Chip you are refering to doesnt compare to the two cards that you mentioned, but it is pretty good. Most people who post here will shoot down onboard graphics as soon as they are mentioned, but I can appreciate them, my first system(compaq Precario) had an intel 810E chipset in it. Right outa the box, it wouldnt play any 3D games, but after a few intel driver revisions, it was ok. The games that you mentioned should all play good with that chipset, and as far as adding an add in AGP card later down the road...forget it, you cant, there will be no AGP slot on the motherboard. You are left with only PCI, and future heartache. whether you think so or not, your going to want to improve your graphics after a little while(especially hanging around here....geez), and your only option will be a Mobo replacement too...On top of that!! It sounds like your are going to purchase a consumer level PC (ie Dell HP Compaq)..and if thats so, an after market "enthusiast" motherboard wont work in your case!! they make them proprietary!!...this was the story of my life!!!...you are me three years ago!!!....STOP!!!...if you are hanging around here, and reading what these guy's put up, then you know what you need to do, and thats say no to dell compaq gateway(especially) and HP....

Craig M

Spitfire_x86

Splendid
Jun 26, 2002
Question 1) This onboard graphics is compareable with GF2 MX200. GF2 MX400 like performance is a dream for this chipset. Plus they doesn't have a T&L engine. So games like Jedi Knight II will be unplayable with this chipset, but a GF2 MX200 can make this game playable.

Question 2) If you want a really good onboard graphics solution, then AMD and nForce2 IGP based mobos are for you. Get an AXP and pair it with a nForce2 IGP mobo. nForce2 IGP with Dual DDR 333 or Dual DDR400 falls between GF4 MX420 and GF4 MX440. nForce2 IGP mobos are not availble now, but they should hit stores within this month.

<A HREF="http://forumz.tomshardware.com/community/modules.php?name=Forums&file=viewtopic&p=26708#26708" target="_new"> Go to my CPU Vendor Poll </A>