Integrated m/boards with video

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Need a board for an entry level system with a Celleron 1.8 or XP1800.
Just something with web surfing and some basic gaming, but that can have an AGP card added down the road.
I'm thinking the A7n-266 for the AMD, but can someone suggest a board for the Intel?

Thanks all.
Mid-tower case so form factoer doesn't matter that much.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
I wouldn't get an Intel board with integrated video. Intel's integrated video is based on the old i740 VGA chip. It's very weak, very old tech. In fact, the only chipsets with good enough 3D onboard video for even casual gaming are made by nVidia.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

KrAziE

Distinguished
Jul 20, 2002
I agree the New nVidia nForce 2 the IGP version has a intergrated Gforce MX and I'm sure can find a board with and AGP slot too look on "NEWEGGER" i love that site ...

Krazie

RobD

Champion
Crash, would you recommend an Intel board with on board graphics at all?
Reason I ask is that we run Intel boards in most our machines at work (celeron's, some P3's) and are about to move over to the mPGA Celeron. I've been banging on about moving from onboard for at least a year, and could with some more ammo!

kaz

Distinguished
May 22, 2001
Yeah. I guess there's not much point building an integrated Celeron system when the AXP's sell for the same price, and are a hell of a lot better chip.
Just have to convince some people....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
If it's an office PC, etc, that will never see 3D use, you're not going to get a convicing argument from me! Total system performance is hurt, sure, but most offices have a PC that's 10x as fast as needed for office work anyway.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

phr0ze

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2002
Well I know how hard it can be to sway an intel person. All I can say is you'll get more from the AMD 1800xp.

---------------------------------------
phr0Ze

I've been hiding in the shadows @ THG since 97.
AMD1800/768MB/9700Pro/Dragon+/240GigRaid0/DoubleWide with Redundant 350watt

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You don't have to convince me of anything! I'm high end all the way! But to tell you the truth, Offices normall upgrade a computer that's already faster than what they need, simply because it's out of warranty. My college upgrades the systems in the library every 3 years, but can you think of any reason why a PIII 500 WOULDN'T be fast enough already for surfing the net? Still, they replaced them all with P4 systems, simply because they wanted to add CDRW's which nobody at the library uses.

RobD

Champion
We've still got P200's running, quite well I may add, and the only thing we've had to do to them is chuck some more memory in, up to 128mb and a new drive. The only quibble I have with them is the damn CPU fan's on them, they keep failing. Oh, and the fact that they draw power direct from the PSU. The times I've spent on the phone trying to get converter cables so an FC-PGA fan can run on it instead.....

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Most will run with passive coolers if you can find them in a large enough size.