How to overclock onboard L2?

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
It seems that I'm todays man asking yestardays questions in this forum :wink:

I set up a K6-2+ 450 on a P5A-B. I am quite disapponted that what is limiting to overclock the BUS is the onboard memory (1Mb). I'm sure about this for the following:

- With 100FSB, I can go to 550 without any problem.
- Increasing to 105FSB even with low multiplier (4 or 4.5) makes the system stop after recognising the drives, maybe one step more. But no Windows at all.
- Disable External L2 (the onboard L2) makes the computer run perfectly, even at 120FSB.

How can I improve the onboard L2? I touch it and it was far to be even warm. The writings on it are (in case can help):

Elite MT
LP61&64128F-4
9915S M2S41UA

Also, I don't know if I can raise the voltage. Is the onboard L2 using the same as the core of the CPU? Right now I'm using 2.0 volts, so I'm confident to use 2.1 is this can make onboard L2 "overclockable". And for the HSF, don't worry, I'm using a big K7 model with 80mm fan.

Thanks for your help!

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

We had similar problems with that board. Raise the I/O voltage.I think it is labled as VRI.(been a long time since we have touchd that comp. It belongs to my Niece now.) Ours would not boot at 105 or 115 fsb but 120 worked perfectly.

I aint signing nothing!!!

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
The onboard L2 is probably running at it's own voltage. I'm going to take a wild guess here and assume that the 4 means 40ns. I've looked though my Cache Box and found one COAST module marked 60 and a couple marked 15, perhaps the ones marked 15 are faster?

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>