binarybacon

Distinguished
Jul 3, 2008
Ok So here's what I'm running:

AMD Athlon 64 LE-1600 2.2GHz
A gig of DDR 800
7200 RPM Drive
Radeon HD 2600 XT

Now my questions is this, I run linux as my main OS so that would be the reason why I cheaped out on the processor. The fact also that I think single core is enough and that the entire investment in dual/quad is just ridiculous for the price point. But for this game in particular I am seeing about 24 FPS, and yeah it loads kinda slow. Everything is on low with no anti-aliasing or shadows. I don't mind this one bit I actually prefer it. My favorite game of all time is EQ and the graphics in it, I actually prefer more of the ps2 choppy style. Yeah I'm odd. Now I borrowed another gig of memory and like I thought it affected the performance but not how one would want it too. I understand it's an MMO and your going to have server lag but I think if I ran closer to spec that it wouldn't be as bad as it is. Now my real question, do you think if I got a faster processor that it would do me more good than investing in a better video card. Usually I can trump a slow proc with a nice card but for the first time I'm starting to think that this is not the case. Anyone who is reading this that wants the best proc for the price I highly suggest a amd 64, they were great back in the day and they're still fast enough for anything you throw at them and heck mine was 35$ lol. But give me some suggestions. I'm running XP.

llama_man

Splendid
Jan 12, 2006
You can probably get a faster processor for your current motherboard, which might not cost too much? (Although i think the ideal price point for A64s went past a while back - they're getting rarer now). Upgrading both GFX and Processor might let you squeeze a bit more life out of the old dog.

Have you considered/tried overclocking? I've not tried on my A64, but then the most demanding games I've got are X3 and CoH so I'm not really taxing it!

G

Age of conan has som bugs with ati cards. Check their forums but i think the bug isnt fixed yet

bydesign

Distinguished
Nov 2, 2006
Sound like you're getting great performance for you system.

I have a love hate relationship with AoC just to let you know.

I certainly wouldn't bother to play unless the eye-candy was turn on. Without it there just no other stand out features. It is hands-down the best looking MMO to date and likely will remain that way for a couple of years. There are also a lot things broken and plenty of bugs. Then there is the lag issues which seems to effect everyone. Most importantly you do have bare breasts with nipples ;)

You need more memory 2GB min 4+ to avoid the out memory bug. A modern PCIe GPU is a must for this game as well. Yours is newer but not all that great of a gaming card. A 4850 would be a great card for you, not sure you have a PCIe MB though.

soloman02

Distinguished
Oct 1, 2007
I have an AMD Athlon 64 3700+ Socket 939 collecting dust in its packaging. If you have a 939 board i'll sell it to you. It has no heatsink though as it was an OEM.