AMD K6-2+ & Asus P55T2P4

frazway

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
RE: Article: Socket7 Tuning: Asus P55T2P4 with AMD K6-2+

I have the Asus P55T2P4 Rev 3.1 motherboard. I read the above article and decided to buy an AMD K6-2+ 450 CPU to try it out.

It worked at first, but the voltage regulators are running really hot to the point where I burned my finger. I assume this extreme heat is not good for the motherboard.

I have a good CPU heat sink, and a second case fan blowing over the voltage regulators but it does not seem to help.

I followed the jumper setting in Toms article.

Does anyone have any ideas on what may be causing the voltage regulators to overheat like that, and what I can do to fix the situation? I am worried that I will will burnout the CPU and motherboard.

The only unusual thing is that when I ran Sisoft Sandra, the CPU shows as a K6 III.

Thank you for any advice,

Frazway

baldurga

Distinguished
Feb 14, 2002
First, just double check that jumpers are correctly configurated and also check it with your manual. Maybe you are giving too much volts ...

Second, I don't know if I get it right, but the best you can do to cool the regulators would be using some aluminium or copper based headspreader (like the ones for cooling the graphic card's RAM) and attach it with Artic silver 3. Also a fan blowing will help. If that is what you already have, sorry for don't understand you.

Also, I think no matter what you do that regulators will be hot because you are running out of its limits, it weren't design thinking on K6-2+ 450 ...

Still looking for a <b>good online retailer</b> in Spain :frown:

frazway

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Hi Baldurga,

Thanks for the advise.

I may be too late because last night some major smoke came from my motherboard and I could no longer boot up. I will have to trouble shoot to see if the board can be salvaged.

I used the same settings as in the article but perhaps I missed a step.

I appreciate the help.

Frazway