Random Persistant Rebots and lockups

jwsplatjw

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2002
I have a P4X400 Dragon Ultra by soyo. I have installed two 512MB Corsair DDR 400 ram with CAS 2 and an MSI nVidia Ti 4200 128 MB video card. The BIOS has far to many settings for me to try all of them to get a stable system. Any help?

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
My first question to you is....when did you start having these problems?....was it after you added some hardware or did it just start happening?....from my experiences 90 percent of the time, random reboots is a sign of a failing power supply.....the easiest way to get make sure your system is as stable as it can be is to load bios defaults and start up your machine....I would start by removing one component that isnt necessary to boot at a time until it doesnt crash again...ie remove one stick of memory boot etc..

bum_jcrules

Distinguished
May 12, 2001
Try one stick of memory at a time. You could have bad section of memory on one of the sticks or both. Try this first. If both are good... try them in different DIMMs. If that isn't it then try the settings.

:)

<b><font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> <font color=red>Fredi</font color=red> He's our man! If he can't do it no one can!</b><P ID="edit"><FONT SIZE=-1><EM>Edited by Bum_JCRules on 01/14/03 10:38 PM.</EM></FONT></P>

Civilized

Distinguished
Sep 4, 2001
speaking of the power supply...when you boot what voltages are you seeing on your rails?....are all of them near or a little above the specs? (which you want).....or do you see a dip in one of them such as your 12V reading 11.5 or something (which is not a good thing)a low voltage rail especially on the 12V rail can cause system instability under heavy loads, since the processor runs entirely on it along with other case fans, harddrive etc...