Sign in with
Your question
Closed

Crysis stutters on my new rig. Why?

Last response: in Video Games
July 6, 2008 3:54:57 AM

Everything I've read points says I should be more than capable of running DX10 Crysis with a constant 30+ FPS. But, I can't. It constantly drops below 20, (especially when I'm zooming with binocs or turning fast,) and generally is unplayable.

I'm trying to run Crysis at 1440x900 in DX10 at high settings (recommended settings by Crysis.)

My hardware;
  • ASUS P5Q Pro motherboard
  • ASUS EAH4850 512 MB (Radeon 4850)
  • 2 GB DDR2 800 (running in single channel mode according to my boot messages)
  • Intel Core 2 Duo 3.00 GHz

I'm running Windows Vista 32 and the 8.501.1.0 driver for my graphics card. I was running 8.5 earlier with the same issues.

Help?! I'm very disappointed with the performance of this setup so far.
  • More about : crysis stutters rig

July 6, 2008 4:05:21 AM

Turn it into DX9 mode... lower some stuff... drivers are currently mediorce
    July 6, 2008 4:18:11 AM

You think I should ditch this card and go with an older ATI? I don't want to stick with it and never get any good performance.
    Related resources
    July 6, 2008 4:25:55 AM

Wait which did you get better performance with? What is your PSU?
    July 6, 2008 1:35:36 PM

crysis stutters on most rigs
    July 6, 2008 2:46:23 PM

+1 db4s
    July 6, 2008 2:51:17 PM

run it in dx 9 mode then try it in both vista and windows xp and you will see why your having lag

ati has pretty crappy vista drivers and vista also has a performance hit due to how much of a resource hog it is

July 6, 2008 3:05:19 PM

Dont wana steal the thread but do ati still have bad driver issues, as im looking at a hd 4870 and dont want a card that wont run some games.
    July 6, 2008 3:56:00 PM

amdfangirl said:
    Wait which did you get better performance with? What is your PSU?

I didn't see a difference in performance with either driver. My PSU is a Corsair 750W.
    July 6, 2008 4:22:20 PM

So which card is recommended to run DX10 Crysis at 1440 (or 1680) on my rig?

My specs again;
  • 2 GB DDR2 800 (will be 4GB soon... running dual channel)

(I'm thinking about ditching this card on the idle temps alone. When I reboot, without the fan control software running, it jumps to 75+ C.)
    July 6, 2008 4:34:47 PM

this card runs hot, but remember its a gpu not a cpu
    July 6, 2008 4:58:50 PM

whut said:
    So which card is recommended to run DX10 Crysis at 1440 (or 1680) on my rig?

My specs again;
  • 2 GB DDR2 800 (will be 4GB soon... running dual channel)

(I'm thinking about ditching this card on the idle temps alone. When I reboot, without the fan control software running, it jumps to 75+ C.)

• my friend has that same card while he runs the game at 1280x1024

he gets no lag with the game maxed out in windows xp

he uses a core 2 e6600 overclocked to a little over 3GHz

and has 2GB memory
    July 6, 2008 5:11:08 PM

mrplow99 said:
    this card runs hot, but remember its a gpu not a cpu

GPUs run hotter?

razor512 said:
    my friend has that same card while he runs the game at 1280x1024

he gets no lag with the game maxed out in windows xp

he uses a core 2 e6600 overclocked to a little over 3GHz

and has 2GB memory

I saw a noticeable difference between DX9 and DX10 - enough to make me not want to play in DX9 anymore. And 1440x900 is the lowest 16x10 resolution my monitor will accept without displaying it as 4x3.
    July 6, 2008 5:35:01 PM

What you are experiencing is very common. Look at the performance graph below:

Quote:
    This game is tested at the High level of detail, excepting the Shaders option which is set at Very High. This way we try to achieve a compromise between image quality and speed.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/articles/video/display/ati-radeon-hd4800-games_5.html#sect0

The black numbers represent max FPS and the white numbers represents min FPS.

If you insist on playing at high quality and DX10 with 30+ fps, then put the game down and wait for at least the next generation of GPUs (ATI HD 5xxx [??] or nVidia 3xx [??] series).

July 6, 2008 5:48:04 PM

Turn off AA, it makes minimal difference. Also lower the game to DX9 mode and get the "DX10 hacks". This gives most of the dx10 features while still running in DX9, giving a performance increase than compared to dx10.
    July 6, 2008 6:22:19 PM

Given my extended break from PC gaming, (the last time I had a capable rig was around 2003,) let me ask you this; If I'm having trouble playing Crysis, how is the remainder of the PC games market? Will I have trouble playing other games? Future games?

quantumsheep said:
    Turn off AA, it makes minimal difference. Also lower the game to DX9 mode and get the "DX10 hacks". This gives most of the dx10 features while still running in DX9, giving a performance increase than compared to dx10.

I'll check out the DX10 hacks.
    Anonymous
    July 6, 2008 7:01:11 PM

oh no... crysis stutters... oh my god... boo hoo...

sorry dude... crysis stutters on all but the most expensive of rigs... if you feel like buying a 5000 rig w/ 3 gtx 280's a quad core q9450 at 4 ghz and all sorts of other expensive stuff... then you can have a smooth experience

but you didn't... you probably payed a fifth of that... so what do you expect
    July 6, 2008 10:03:54 PM

whut said:
    Everything I've read points says I should be more than capable of running DX10 Crysis with a constant 30+ FPS. But, I can't. It constantly drops below 20, (especially when I'm zooming with binocs or turning fast,) and generally is unplayable.

I'm trying to run Crysis at 1440x900 in DX10 at high settings (recommended settings by Crysis.)

My hardware;

I'm running Windows Vista 32 and the 8.501.1.0 driver for my graphics card. I was running 8.5 earlier with the same issues.

• I have the same gpu, but with a 939 4800 cpu and xp (plus 2gb ddr) and can run the crysis demo nice and smooth, all on high except physics (medium), water (medium) sound (medium) no AA though (1280x1024). Give it a try with those settings. I was really happy with the 4850, I think it's fantastic value for money. My framerates hover around 22fps most of the time. In the meantime, download some other demos to cheer yourself up (just tried grid which looks amazing :D  )

Am I the only person who tried the "dx10 hack" and didn't like it?
    July 7, 2008 9:28:15 AM

Just try putting your current RAM into same colored slots. That'll pump it up to dual channel which should also help reduce any memory performance related problems which Crysis could easily cause.
    July 7, 2008 10:25:03 AM

There's no reasonable configuration you can play crysis with on high settings.
    Get over it and play another game with your great rig...
    July 7, 2008 11:24:38 AM

yeah crysis isnt that great a game, go play something good... e.g. TF2, World in Conflict.
    July 7, 2008 12:25:04 PM

Quote:
    oh no... crysis stutters... oh my god... boo hoo...

sorry dude... crysis stutters on all but the most expensive of rigs... if you feel like buying a 5000 rig w/ 3 gtx 280's a quad core q9450 at 4 ghz and all sorts of other expensive stuff... then you can have a smooth experience

but you didn't... you probably payed a fifth of that... so what do you expect

its idiots like you that send ppl over to consoles.

unfortunately Crysis is just a showcase of graphics, its the only game that pushes hardware to its limits, most over games on the PC wont give you this trouble, for example you could quite happily get COD4 on max settings and have no troubles.
    July 7, 2008 1:15:43 PM

RAM running in single channel isn't going to help matters. If you're running 2 RAM chips make sure they're put into the correct slots to enable dual channel. If they are then you're probably not running a matched pair (forum: is this still an issue?).

If you only have 1 RAM stick then you're gonna have to get another one.
    July 7, 2008 2:19:26 PM

I run Crysis at 1440x900 in DX10 at high settings and its as smooth as can be. No problems here. On PC PITSTOP I am getting a score of 7800 non over clocked. Here is my specs.

Running Vista 32 bit Premium
    EVGA 780I 775 socket motherboard
    Q9300 Quad Core CPU
    EVGA 9800GTX 512MB
    OCZ 4 gig Memory OC
    Running Raid 0
    July 7, 2008 9:02:31 PM

LePhuronn said:
    RAM running in single channel isn't going to help matters.

Yeah. Something's up with my RAM that I'm only getting 2GB out of the 4GB I paid for. I think I have some mislabeled sticks.
    They're in single channel because I was moving them around to troubleshoot. I'm waiting until my replacements come to crack open the case. We'll see soon.
    July 8, 2008 12:26:49 PM

Could just be one dead stick?
    July 8, 2008 4:39:00 PM

whut, all RAM is single channel. The motherboard does the dual channel bit and all motherboards from about 3 to 4 years ago can do it.
    July 9, 2008 12:37:43 AM

JDocs said:
    whut, all RAM is single channel. The motherboard does the dual channel bit and all motherboards from about 3 to 4 years ago can do it.

I meant that the RAM modules were in a single channel configuration.

Anyway, my new RAM came today. Same brand, same model, same label, but now I see 4GB. The old sticks must've been labeled wrong. Now I'm running DX10 Crysis with the same settings I was comfortable at in DX9 with the old RAM. I'm getting steady FPS between 25 and 35 and no stutters.
    July 9, 2008 1:05:04 AM

whut said:
    Given my extended break from PC gaming, (the last time I had a capable rig was around 2003,) let me ask you this; If I'm having trouble playing Crysis, how is the remainder of the PC games market? Will I have trouble playing other games? Future games?

I'll check out the DX10 hacks.

Um other games will run fine. What it is is that the CryEngine 2 is very poorly optimized. With that rig games like COD4 should push 100FPS with everything maxed at that res, TF2 will easily hit over 100FPS and most other games will bow down. All at max.

I don't really blame anything else except a very poorly optimized engine for Crysis. And I am sure that maturing drivers will help in your casre as well. Remember that the drivers are practially new. So new they are almost BETA drivers. As they come along you should see nice increases in every game.
    July 9, 2008 3:16:12 AM

:hello:  > :non: 

HEY NO! Don't get angry with the 4850! It is VERY POSSIBLE that all your problems is that the drivers are quite immature just yet, as it is a newly launched card. Wait till the next release (8.7 would it be?) and don't worry.
    ATI will take much care about Crysis running smoothly in this new generation because it is THE benchmark game. In the meantime, just deactivate antialiasing, and lower a bit the shadows and physics complexity. Done.
    July 9, 2008 9:23:01 AM

jimmysmitty said:
    Um other games will run fine. What it is is that the CryEngine 2 is very poorly optimized. With that rig games like COD4 should push 100FPS with everything maxed at that res, TF2 will easily hit over 100FPS and most other games will bow down. All at max.

I don't really blame anything else except a very poorly optimized engine for Crysis. And I am sure that maturing drivers will help in your casre as well. Remember that the drivers are practially new. So new they are almost BETA drivers. As they come along you should see nice increases in every game.

How does anyone know that crysis is a poorly optimized game, I haven't seen the source, have you? Crysis just uses so much more eye candy efects than other games and looks much better than other fps I've seen (cod4, bioshock etc). The tradeoff is it's very taxing on hardware. I bet people would bitch more now if it was patched to performance and gfx quality of other fps's.

Just my opinion, not trying to start a war :D 
    July 9, 2008 10:24:35 AM

What are acceptable temps for the 4850 to run at? Max temp? I'm worried that, without this fan control running (reboot, OS install, hangup, etc) the default fan speed is too slow that it'll fry the card.
    July 9, 2008 11:48:38 AM

The card wont fry, it can run at over 90 degrees Celsius with out blinking. I read somewhere that they run hot anyway so there is not a problem, just relax.

I have a:

8800GTX
    Q6600 Core 2 Quad (3GHz per core)
    4GB DDR 800 Ram

I run it on Windows Vista Ultimate 64Bit on a 20” widescreen monitor at 1680X1050 and I must get about 25ish frames per second average with the latest patch with all the settings set to there maximum value (it’s surprisingly smooth and playable).

You only have 2GB’s of ram, I know the game uses about 3GB’s on my system, so the game will have to do a fair bit of swapping with your system thus being a possible cause for stuttering and juddering. Also you have half the cores in your CPU I have got, I don’t know if that makes much of a difference but then my game runs smooth, yours does not.

Also what has been said about the drivers, your card can do just a little under my one but then have you got stable drivers. High Frame rates don’t equate to smooth running, not by any stretch of the imaginations. So what looks good on paper is not necessarily true in life.

Let me finish of by saying if your looking for seamless frame rates that makes the game look similar to the likes of Counter Strike, you will never get that no matter what settings you change. You will have to just get used to it not being perfect, after all Crysis was never a perfect game anyway.
    Anonymous
    July 9, 2008 10:38:09 PM

Flakes said:
    its idiots like you that send ppl over to consoles.

unfortunately Crysis is just a showcase of graphics, its the only game that pushes hardware to its limits, most over games on the PC wont give you this trouble, for example you could quite happily get COD4 on max settings and have no troubles.

yeah its idiots like me that move people to consoles... CRYSIS CAN'T BE PLAYED ON A CHEAP RIG

get over it... so what?

how does that make people switch over to consoles... OH NO I CANT PLAY CRYSIS ON HIGH BOO HOO MY RIG SUCKS...

no it doesn't... it just means you can't play crysis on high... but every other f-n game you can...

you don't have to have a 5000 $ rig to play games nicely... for 800 you can play any game but crysis nicely... and considering you need a computer now a days anyways... is 800 (400 more) than the standard 400 console price tag? most of my friends have the 360 AND the ps3... and a ton of games... right there thats over a 1000 dollars... now for 800 you can get a computer that does eveything you need... except play crysis...

w/e you say but yeah... I really encourage people to go buy consoles...

whats so bad about consoles anyways... if they wanna spend their money on that then so be it... its not like its wrong or anything... stop being a total nin-compoop
    July 9, 2008 11:53:57 PM

Windows isn't using all your RAM because you only have 32 bit Windows, only 64 bit would be able to see and use it all.
    July 10, 2008 7:59:43 AM

Quote:
    yeah its idiots like me that move people to consoles... CRYSIS CAN'T BE PLAYED ON A CHEAP RIG

contradictions....

Quote:
    OH NO I CANT PLAY CRYSIS ON HIGH BOO HOO MY RIG SUCKS...
    no it doesn't... it just means you can't play crysis on high... but every other f-n game you can...

and i really didn't want to get into the whole console vs pc thing, but for $500 you can build a decent gaming rig, then because the games are cheaper than a console, in 4-5 years by the time a new console comes out you've saved enough money to get another decent rig.

does not being able to play one game on high send people over to consoles? No

Does going around telling people that they can only play games on max using 5k computers? Yes

this was my complaint, deal with it.

July 10, 2008 3:12:10 PM

whut said:
    I meant that the RAM modules were in a single channel configuration.

Anyway, my new RAM came today. Same brand, same model, same label, but now I see 4GB. The old sticks must've been labeled wrong. Now I'm running DX10 Crysis with the same settings I was comfortable at in DX9 with the old RAM. I'm getting steady FPS between 25 and 35 and no stutters.

Yep, I'm not surprised your stuttering problems went away with the extra RAM. Bit-tech posted a RAM comparison story a couple days ago which found huge differences in minimum frame rates for Crysis when using 2, 4, and 8 GB of memory.

http://www.bit-tech.net/hardware/2008/07/08/is-more-mem...

Check it out -- it's an interesting piece.
    July 10, 2008 6:00:26 PM

rtfm said:
    How does anyone know that crysis is a poorly optimized game, I haven't seen the source, have you? Crysis just uses so much more eye candy efects than other games and looks much better than other fps I've seen (cod4, bioshock etc). The tradeoff is it's very taxing on hardware. I bet people would bitch more now if it was patched to performance and gfx quality of other fps's.

Just my opinion, not trying to start a war :D 

Because in the last issue of PC Gamer the head of Crytek stated it was not very well optimized and that the next "expansion" Warhead? will have a more optimized engine and people who can play Crysis at good settings (very high/high mix) now will be able to play at the same but with better FPS. Thats how I know.

Also the horrible memory leak they had in the begining of the games release.
    Anonymous
    July 10, 2008 6:29:37 PM

I didn't say that... read into the entire post... I said you can play any game BUT crysis on a cheap rig... READ ... we have brains for a reason
    July 10, 2008 7:07:01 PM

jimmysmitty said:
    Because in the last issue of PC Gamer the head of Crytek stated it was not very well optimized and that the next "expansion" Warhead? will have a more optimized engine and people who can play Crysis at good settings (very high/high mix) now will be able to play at the same but with better FPS. Thats how I know.

Also the horrible memory leak they had in the begining of the games release.

I'll eat my words then (well the bit about optimization anway) :) 
    July 14, 2008 4:59:32 PM

http://howto.wired.com/wiki/Build_a_Gaming_PC - "Here's what you need to create a Crysis-capable powerhouse for less than a grand"

Crysis is a hog on any rig. point blank period. regardless of your specs. Crysis is written to utilize all quad-cores not dual cores. the next Crysis Warhead game is going to be better in performance. you have nice specs and all but I can run it @ 1280x1024 all high settings on a C2D E4700 @ 2.6Ghz; 2 gigs of RAM; XFX 8800GT - 512 mb; Win XP SP3. your just going that have to sacrifice somethings.
    July 14, 2008 9:13:48 PM

whut said:

Actually, maybe...

I think Age of Conan is as demanding if not more than Crysis with Graphics turned up. DIRT is also pretty demanding if you put the graphics on high.

One thing I like about Vista is how it show the Experience Score index required/recommended for games. I know Crysis is like 3.0/5.0. Age of Conan similar with the required actually being a bit higher at 4.0. 4.0 Is not hard to achieve, but getting above 5 requires a pretty decent gaming rig. My wife's Asus G2S only gets 4.9 and it's marketed as gaming laptop.

Maybe you should think about getting a second card and doing a crossfire configuration. I am running 2 8800GTS(g92) SLI and Crysis runs very smooth with all settings on high
    July 15, 2008 4:31:00 PM

whut said:

My hardware;

• Very good rig. Just Turn off anti-alising (on Crysis) and use Vista 64 Bits. You will notice a big difference. Its should be better.
    Anyway Crysis still cant be totally beated. Go check Assassins Creed or COD4. Most games you can max it up and just breeze through them. Well, some.
    July 15, 2008 4:36:17 PM

I just got stalker for £5, it's a nice looking game (too hard though) and can easily max out the graphics
    July 15, 2008 4:46:29 PM

Yeah, Crysis taxes even the mightiest ninja rigs. I have a similar setup with a 4870 and everything else runs very nicely.

As far as temps go, the default fan settings do have the card running kinda hot, but I have not heard of any frying. I run mine with a higher fan speed and it remains quite cool, but it is louder than my last card. I'll keep adjusting till I find the best balance.
    Anonymous
    August 9, 2010 12:54:51 PM

hey who said that u need so much high quality goods?..i mean..i have 1gb ram..MAC X operating system...dual core 2.8 Ghz..and most of all..i got an MSI (Nvidia GeForce 2nd generation) 1 gb DDR3...and it's all working perfectly....for higher performance..tune your graphics card with a software named "MSI afterbuner"..download the drivers from the net....and apply it..if u have an ati radeon..u can tune it by going to applications manager/vdo adapters/ati....
    August 9, 2010 1:27:13 PM

Only 2GB of RAM, a C2D, and a 4850? Not nearly enough to max Crysis.

Not saying your rig is slow by any means, but it takes a lot more then that to tame Crysis.
    August 9, 2010 2:16:53 PM

hey, i had xfx hd4850 oc and i run crysis on high without any problem in windows 7 dx10 version. . . .
    l got max 50 fps, and min 27fps....
    i just use e2200 . . . . . looks like a problem is your windows vista, try windows 7 and looks a different !
    August 9, 2010 5:04:19 PM

wow, bringing back a 2 year old thread, way to go
    August 9, 2010 11:29:03 PM

This topic has been closed by Mousemonkey
    !