low power server

paulmantovani

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
New to the community, so hello all.

Anyone have any thoughts on MB/CPU to use for a low power consumption system to be used as an always-on Linux server.

My first thought was to use an old Pentium system, but these old ones use so much power, the money I save on the system will be used on electricity.

This will be a simple file server for my home, so no requirements for redundant power supply, super-fast processor, etc. I just want to know what's a good MB/CPU combo that can use a small, efficient power supply.

Thanks.

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Old Pentiums use very little power. In fact, you can run them with passive heatsinks, which shows you just how little heat (power) is disapated.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

paulmantovani

Distinguished
Jan 14, 2003
Actually, I was concerned more with the different size (wattage) power supplies that go with the various MB form factors. For instance, doesn't the MicroATX require smaller (lower wattage) power supply than ATX, which requires smaller power supply than AT, etc.?

Maybe I'm spliting hairs on this, but don't the later systems have lower requirements regarding power supplies, i.e. effeciency?

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
Micro ATX gets by with less power because most configurations use onboard audio and video. You can get an old Pentium system that uses onboard audio and video too. But you don't even need audio. I'll sell you a Packard Hell with a Pentium CPU, it'll do the job.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>