Tom

Distinguished
Dec 31, 2007

I want to upgrade to XP from 98, but am hesitant. I have a lot of educational
software for my childern to use and have been told by numerous people that
they may not work on XP. The bulk of the software is window based not dos.

Tom;
First make sure you computer is ready for Windows XP:
http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/home/upgrading/default.mspx
Especially #3 Upgrade Advisor.

As for the software, most should work with no problem.
Some you may need to use Compatibility Mode.
Contact the software manufacturers to verify compatibility of
essential software.

--
Jupiter Jones [MVP]
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/

"Tom" <Tom@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I want to upgrade to XP from 98, but am hesitant. I have a lot of
>educational
> software for my childern to use and have been told by numerous
> people that
> they may not work on XP. The bulk of the software is window based
> not dos.

First, here is an article on preparing your pc for the upgrade,
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;316639

As far as the software, I'm not sure, but I think that if it's designed for
compatibility with windows, it should work. But, again, I'm not sure.
However, you can contact the vendor to find out what to do to make it
usable.

How to troubleshoot program compatibility issues in Windows XP
http://support.microsoft.com/?scid=kb;en-us;285909&spid=1173&sid=253

Unattended Install Is Halted by Windows Logo Testing Warning During Device
Detection Phase
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;293765

You cannot install some updates or programs
http://support.microsoft.com/kb/822798