Belkin wireless ADSL - new firmware!

Last response: in Wireless Networking
a b F Wireless
August 21, 2004 4:29:02 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Hi,

I've just noticed that Belkin released new firmware for their
Wireless ADSL router yesterday (20 Aug). Mine's actually been
working great so I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but I can't find
any release notes describing the changes anyway. Anyone else?

Andrew
August 21, 2004 2:02:12 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have the ASDL modem/router and I've had lots of problems with dropped
lines. Is this firmware for that device?

Bobby

"arb" <arb@sat.dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message news:o psc13monhrgi52a@arb...
> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed that Belkin released new firmware for their
> Wireless ADSL router yesterday (20 Aug). Mine's actually been
> working great so I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but I can't find
> any release notes describing the changes anyway. Anyone else?
>
> Andrew
August 21, 2004 2:08:47 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Can you post a link to this update?

"arb" <arb@sat.dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message news:o psc13monhrgi52a@arb...
> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed that Belkin released new firmware for their
> Wireless ADSL router yesterday (20 Aug). Mine's actually been
> working great so I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but I can't find
> any release notes describing the changes anyway. Anyone else?
>
> Andrew
a b F Wireless
August 21, 2004 4:43:32 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

What model are you talking about??
I have a F5D7630 and went on the belkin website there is no firmware for
that one

--
'In the land of the blind the one eyed man is King'
"arb" <arb@sat.dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message news:o psc13monhrgi52a@arb...
> Hi,
>
> I've just noticed that Belkin released new firmware for their
> Wireless ADSL router yesterday (20 Aug). Mine's actually been
> working great so I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but I can't find
> any release notes describing the changes anyway. Anyone else?
>
> Andrew
August 21, 2004 4:43:33 PM

"Man With No Name" <dela@vega.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> What model are you talking about??
> I have a F5D7630 and went on the belkin website there is no firmware for
> that one

Its the ADSL Modem With Built-In 11g Wireless Router

F5D7630-4A/B
August 21, 2004 5:23:16 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 12:43:32 +0100 and in article <412734ea$0$20244
$cc9e4d1f@news-text.dial.pipex.com>, Man With No Name said...
: What model are you talking about??
: I have a F5D7630 and went on the belkin website there is no firmware for
: that one

No web access atm to find out URL so i've uploaded it to my raq box on
janet for you to leech:

http://chris.lab6.com/BELDSL_FW_V_A_1_08_03UK.BIN

Works fine on my 7630. Enjoy!

--
chris
Anonymous

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Man With No Name" <dela@vega.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
> What model are you talking about??
> I have a F5D7630 and went on the belkin website there is no firmware for
> that one

Yes, there is..

Its at
http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?dow...

Regards
Sunil
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 21, 2004 6:25:09 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"arb" <arb@sat.dundee.ac.uk> wrote in message news:o psc13monhrgi52a@arb...
> I've just noticed that Belkin released new firmware for their
> Wireless ADSL router yesterday (20 Aug). Mine's actually been
> working great so I'm in no hurry to upgrade, but I can't find
> any release notes describing the changes anyway. Anyone else?

According to Belkin:

- The latest firmware resolves disconnection issues
- It increases wireless performance

I don't think their are is any new functionallity - instead it "enhances the
existing features"

It also appears easier to setup the Belkin if you are using multiple IP
addresses (i.e. with Zen)

Personally, I think all customers should email Belkin and ask for them to
add/display the line stats (dB, SNR etc) - which it currently doesn't do..

Regards
Sunil
August 21, 2004 10:28:38 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Cheers Sunbil. Do you know what this update is meant to improve?

I've had real problems with dropped lines when more than one PC tries to
access the Net via this device.

Bobby

"Sunil Sood" <news@soods.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Man With No Name" <dela@vega.fsnet.co.uk> wrote in message
>> What model are you talking about??
>> I have a F5D7630 and went on the belkin website there is no firmware for
>> that one
>
> Yes, there is..
>
> Its at
> http://web.belkin.com/support/download/download.asp?dow...
>
> Regards
> Sunil

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 21, 2004 10:29:25 PM

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
> Cheers Sunbil. Do you know what this update is meant to improve?
>
> I've had real problems with dropped lines when more than one PC tries to
> access the Net via this device.

As per my other post..

According to Belkin:

- The latest firmware resolves disconnection issues
- It increases wireless performance

I don't think their are is any new functionallity - instead it "enhances the
existing features"

Regards
Sunil
August 21, 2004 10:30:16 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

> - The latest firmware resolves disconnection issues
> - It increases wireless performance

Is this an admission from Belkin that this device does not operate
correctly? I've had terrible problems with dropped connections (requiring a
reset) whenever more than one wireless device tries to access the Net.

Bobby
August 21, 2004 10:58:45 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Thanks. I saw your other post after asking. Sorry.

I've tried to apply this new BIN file twice - and failed both times.

It just hangs half way through with a message: "Opening
192.168.2.1/blabla/upgrade.exe.

No harm done since I can switch off the device and it works OK - but I still
have the 1.04.03UK firmware.

Has anyone managed to apply this upgrade? If so, what am I doing wrong? I'm
using the "Update firmware" option. My modem/router is the Belkin F5D7630.

Cheers.

> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> Cheers Sunbil. Do you know what this update is meant to improve?
>>
>> I've had real problems with dropped lines when more than one PC tries to
>> access the Net via this device.
>
> As per my other post..
>
> According to Belkin:
>
> - The latest firmware resolves disconnection issues
> - It increases wireless performance
>
> I don't think their are is any new functionallity - instead it "enhances
> the
> existing features"
>
> Regards
> Sunil

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 4:52:36 AM

> > - The latest firmware resolves disconnection issues
> > - It increases wireless performance
>
> Is this an admission from Belkin that this device does not operate
> correctly? I've had terrible problems with dropped connections (requiring
> reset) whenever more than one wireless device tries to access the Net.
>
> Bobby

I have found the Wireless seems to disable itself at random. Seems really
buggy.
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 5:19:18 AM

> Has anyone managed to apply this upgrade? If so, what am I doing wrong?
> I'm using the "Update firmware" option. My modem/router is the Belkin
> F5D7630.

The firmware updated successfully here with no problems using the "Firmware
Update" option.

Just browse to the downloaded firmware file and click update..

I did have to reenter my username and password, after it had finished - as
it didn't like my "settings" backup file

Regards
Sunil
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 5:20:56 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

"Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> - The latest firmware resolves disconnection issues
>> - It increases wireless performance
>
> Is this an admission from Belkin that this device does not operate
> correctly? I've had terrible problems with dropped connections (requiring
> a reset) whenever more than one wireless device tries to access the Net.

I guess its more like Belkin admitting (like all other manufacturers) that
the previous version of the firmware could be improved on..

If you are having continued problems, perhaps you should consider an RMA
from Belkin - these units do have a "lifetime" warranty.

Regards
Sunil
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 1:28:14 PM

On Sat, 21 Aug 2004 18:58:45 +0100, "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote:

>I've tried to apply this new BIN file twice - and failed both times.
>It just hangs half way through with a message: "Opening
>192.168.2.1/blabla/upgrade.exe.

Don't try to upgrade the firmware over the wirless. Use the wired
ethernet connections. Also, disconnect the WAN port during the update
as will prevent interruptions by the usual scripted attacks.

Santa Cruz CA 95060 AE6KS 831-336-2558
August 22, 2004 8:08:40 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I've been advised by Belkin to do a hard reset of the router (holding the
reset button for 40 seconds) and then apply new firmware.

I haven't tried yet.

> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone managed to apply this upgrade? If so, what am I doing wrong?
>> I'm using the "Update firmware" option. My modem/router is the Belkin
>> F5D7630.
>
> The firmware updated successfully here with no problems using the
> "Firmware Update" option.
>
> Just browse to the downloaded firmware file and click update..
>
> I did have to reenter my username and password, after it had finished - as
> it didn't like my "settings" backup file
>
> Regards
> Sunil

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 22, 2004 9:41:44 PM

In article <2oq77bFdmjr9U2@uni-berlin.de>, Sunil Sood wrote:

> I guess its more like Belkin admitting (like all other manufacturers) that
> the previous version of the firmware could be improved on..
>
> If you are having continued problems, perhaps you should consider an RMA
> from Belkin - these units do have a "lifetime" warranty.

Interstingly, you can flash this unit with firmware from SMC. It appears they
use the innards of the Belkin in their Barricade device - model SMC7804WBRA

I successfully flashed my Belkin with the SMC firmware and there appeared to
be lots of extra options and more feedback as to what is going on. Their
latest firmware is dated February 04, but after being plagued with
disconnections when using the Belkin firmware I was pleased to note I had none
while using SMC's firmware.

This afternoon I re-flashed with the new Belkin firmware and that was also
successful. I am not sure if it is necessarily going to be better because it
is more recent. I'll see how it goes before I decide which firmware to keep!

The default web page for the Belkin and SMC firmware is 192.168.2.1 but the SMC
firmware sets up a password of 'smcadmin' when you log in.

--

To reply by email please replace 'news' with 'phillip' in my email
address

Phillip Deackes
August 22, 2004 11:31:09 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Did you use a cable or upgrade over wireless?

"Sunil Sood" <news@soods.freeserve.co.uk> wrote in message

> "Bobby" <bobby@europe.com> wrote in message
>> Has anyone managed to apply this upgrade? If so, what am I doing wrong?
>> I'm using the "Update firmware" option. My modem/router is the Belkin
>> F5D7630.
>
> The firmware updated successfully here with no problems using the
> "Firmware Update" option.
>
> Just browse to the downloaded firmware file and click update..
>
> I did have to reenter my username and password, after it had finished - as
> it didn't like my "settings" backup file
>
> Regards
> Sunil

Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 23, 2004 12:14:51 AM

> Did you use a cable or upgrade over wireless?

cable..

Regards
Sunil
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 2:29:12 AM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

I have emailed you Phillip - I believe the SMC can route real IP addresses
which is something the Belkin cannot do.Did you see this option in the SMC
config?

Regards

"Phillip Deackes" <news@madgestevens.net> wrote in message
> In article <2oq77bFdmjr9U2@uni-berlin.de>, Sunil Sood wrote:
>>
>> I guess its more like Belkin admitting (like all other manufacturers)
>> that
>> the previous version of the firmware could be improved on..
>>
>> If you are having continued problems, perhaps you should consider an RMA
>> from Belkin - these units do have a "lifetime" warranty.
>
> Interstingly, you can flash this unit with firmware from SMC. It appears
> they
> use the innards of the Belkin in their Barricade device - model
> SMC7804WBRA
>
> I successfully flashed my Belkin with the SMC firmware and there appeared
> be lots of extra options and more feedback as to what is going on. Their
> latest firmware is dated February 04, but after being plagued with
> disconnections when using the Belkin firmware I was pleased to note I had
> none
> while using SMC's firmware.
>
> This afternoon I re-flashed with the new Belkin firmware and that was also
> successful. I am not sure if it is necessarily going to be better because
> it
> is more recent. I'll see how it goes before I decide which firmware to
> keep!
>
> The default web page for the Belkin and SMC firmware is 192.168.2.1 but
> the SMC
> firmware sets up a password of 'smcadmin' when you log in.
>
> --
>
> To reply by email please replace 'news' with 'phillip' in my email
> address
>
> Phillip Deackes
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 4:15:32 AM

"Simon Fearby" <fearby@net.ntl.com> wrote in message
> I have emailed you Phillip - I believe the SMC can route real IP
> addresses which is something the Belkin cannot do.Did you see this
> option in the SMC config?

Have you tried the latest Belkin Firmware - the wizard gained another option
which may do that...

Regards
Sunil
Anonymous
a b F Wireless
August 25, 2004 4:23:17 PM

Archived from groups: uk.telecom.broadband,alt.internet.wireless (More info?)

Which option is that?
Every time I try to enter a real IP address it says it won't accept it!
I will contact Belkin tech support and see what they have to say.

!