Sign in with
Your question
Closed

The Road to Fermi: A Look Back on News Leaks

Last response: in News comments
March 26, 2010 1:13:17 AM

i hope nVidia has something up there sleeves : )
Score
March 26, 2010 1:14:33 AM

haha, a Fermi article with NOTHING to report. Not even box shots! I'm beginning to think Fermi doesn't exist.

But really, I hope the cards do great after all of this.
Score
March 26, 2010 1:15:55 AM

lol, excellent... I was hoping someone would do a compilation like this.
Score
March 26, 2010 1:21:32 AM

I have low expectations for fermi...but that's just me :) 
Score
March 26, 2010 1:24:06 AM

When you have nothing...SPIN.
Score
Anonymous
March 26, 2010 1:26:47 AM

This article is the last squeeze of hype for the Fermi?
Score
March 26, 2010 1:39:52 AM

if these fermi gpu are as good as the nvidia dude said (the guy that did the benchmark) why nvidia did not let other people do the benchmarks before they release it? because if it is true and confirmed by "outsider source", more people will buy when it released, unless nvidia is hiding something...
Score
March 26, 2010 1:39:53 AM

Tom's, you've jinxed it. Next we know, it'll be delayed last-minute.
Score
Anonymous
March 26, 2010 1:42:16 AM

Why did we never see such immense coverage leading up to ATI's 5000 series? Oh wait, ATI doesn't play mind games with its consumers.
Score
March 26, 2010 1:48:32 AM

CypherXWhy did we never see such immense coverage leading up to ATI's 5000 series? Oh wait, ATI doesn't play mind games with its consumers.

EXACTLY!

they've gotten so dishonest and act like apple now

Score
March 26, 2010 1:55:12 AM

I just hope (for nVidia's sake) that Fermi lives up to the hype..
Score
March 26, 2010 1:55:34 AM

When you release against no competition there is no need to hype the product. ATi just won the race, that is all... I too am hoping that Nvidia has something up their sleeves to really put the heat (lol pun intended) on AMD. Mainly I want to see some price drops!!! If Fermi is good enough to put some pressure on AMD and lower their prices, I might go back to ATi after a very long time. Other wise I will just get rid of my current space heaters and get a fermi.
Score
March 26, 2010 1:57:06 AM

There are already tons of leaked benchmarks for Fermi, and most of the time from what I've seen of leaked benchmarks, they are usually pretty close to the real numbers. Fermi performance is nothing ground breaking from what the leaked benchies show, a little faster.....but for a 6 month delayed part, very disappointing. Nvidia failed this time, the leaked prices are not that great either, so it looks like AMD beat Nvidia to the punch 6 months ago.
Score
March 26, 2010 2:02:04 AM

I want to see temps and noise under load vs ATI.
Score
March 26, 2010 2:04:25 AM

sinny1if these fermi gpu are as good as the nvidia dude said (the guy that did the benchmark) why nvidia did not let other people do the benchmarks before they release it? because if it is true and confirmed by "outsider source", more people will buy when it released, unless nvidia is hiding something...

usually there is a NDA on video cards and different reviewers get it but can't disclose until NDA expires so Tomshardware already has tested the cards and is doing write ups to be published tomorrow. same as everyone else
Score
March 26, 2010 2:05:38 AM

BlessedmanWhen you release against no competition there is no need to hype the product. ATi just won the race, that is all... I too am hoping that Nvidia has something up their sleeves to really put the heat (lol pun intended) on AMD. Mainly I want to see some price drops!!! If Fermi is good enough to put some pressure on AMD and lower their prices, I might go back to ATi after a very long time. Other wise I will just get rid of my current space heaters and get a fermi.

if fermi forced the 5870 down to $300 i'll buy:) 
Score
Anonymous
March 26, 2010 2:15:08 AM

I guess this was expected. The only people to fail more than Nvidia is Tom's Hardware for putting all the vaporware out in the first place. Guess I won't be surprised if Nvidia decides to pull an early April Fools and fool us all considering the news trend.
Score
March 26, 2010 2:19:54 AM

Gotta hand it to nVidia for being able to keep a relatively tight lid on Fermi - especially considering here it is within 24 hrs. or so of release and there's still nada on the intertubes as far as independent "show me or stfu" benchmarks go.

They must have hired the guys who keep bigfoot and space aliens under wraps. If Fermi doesn't do well, then nVidia should look at getting into the Information Security business.
Score
Anonymous
March 26, 2010 2:37:57 AM

Ahh. Swell. Excited! Tomorrow decides if I blow a bunch of money on a Radeon or a Fermi! Whee...
Score
March 26, 2010 2:42:54 AM

CypherXWhy did we never see such immense coverage leading up to ATI's 5000 series? Oh wait, ATI doesn't play mind games with its consumers.

Because ATI's cards were on time and first to release this generation, there really isn't much more of an explanation beyond this. The "immense coverage" and hype that people speak of is not unique to Nvidia. Anyone remember all the hype built up over the HD2900 XT? This card was also released six months after the competition, but had trouble competing against the 8800GTS in performance, while consuming significantly more power then the 8800GTX. Stop trying to put ATI up on a pedestal.
Score
March 26, 2010 3:00:43 AM

What happens if a new leak comes out tomorrow?....
Score
March 26, 2010 3:24:05 AM

I bought a 5850, and for the time being am unwilling to buy invidia, however, I'm glad they're here. It will no longer be an issue that people are talking about...we'll simply have them available, can see the actual performance, and price, etc. The mystery will end, sheesh, what attention to this.
Score
March 26, 2010 3:25:22 AM

Wouldn't it be ironic if so many people were waiting for Fermi to come out before buying a new ATI card, that it causes a market stampede, overwhelming the supply and forces prices higher instead of lower?
Score
March 26, 2010 3:41:27 AM

huskerWouldn't it be ironic if so many people were waiting for Fermi to come out before buying a new ATI card, that it causes a market stampede, overwhelming the supply and forces prices higher instead of lower?

MY GOD! it would be the Perfect Storm

Of Nvidia's...er....go down...ership....ness.
Score
March 26, 2010 3:44:25 AM

huskerWouldn't it be ironic if so many people were waiting for Fermi to come out before buying a new ATI card, that it causes a market stampede, overwhelming the supply and forces prices higher instead of lower?
A lot of invidia's fan's are too devoted to buy anything else. If they can't afford it immediately, they'll wait.
Score
March 26, 2010 3:55:07 AM

I was waiting for the FERMI. Got fed up with the delays. Retired my 9800 GTX and replaced it with a Sapphire ATI HD 5850. I can honestly say that I am not worried about if the FERMI will be better or whatever. The 5850 lived up to my expectations amd hasn't disappointed me.
Score
March 26, 2010 4:32:24 AM

The way things are going I'm guessing tomorrow will be a disappointment for some people.
Score
March 26, 2010 4:36:35 AM

I've owned both cards through out the years, and I must say Nvidia Has lost this one. But then Nvidia Lovers and Nay sayers wont be hearing any of it.
Score
March 26, 2010 4:38:34 AM

Fermi will make the benchmarking crowd happy as new records will be set.

Fermi will make a good portion of the gaming crowd unhappy and disappointed because the hype has it made it impossible to live up to its expectation.

I'll be waiting for ATI's Fermi killer.
Score
March 26, 2010 4:41:53 AM

At least the day is finally here. I want to get down to business and see some prices.
Score
March 26, 2010 4:52:02 AM

am i the only one here , that thinsk tom's ahrdware is paid off by nvidia .... i eman seriously no oen gave ashit about 1000 box image articles or price speculation articles motnhs before it's reelase , i certianly don't give a rats monkeya bout an atrtical tath recaps teh fact that you gave nicvida bunch of free publicity yet gave ati nothign any where near such "red carpet" treatment ... after this fermi debacle with tom's i have totally lost any bit of respect for this new outlet that i had left ...

jane is stil cool , but the rest of you guys are douches
Score
March 26, 2010 5:16:42 AM

demonhorde665am i the only one here , that thinsk tom's ahrdware is paid off by nvidia .... i eman seriously no oen gave ashit about 1000 box image articles or price speculation articles motnhs before it's reelase , i certianly don't give a rats monkeya bout an atrtical tath recaps teh fact that you gave nicvida bunch of free publicity yet gave ati nothign any where near such "red carpet" treatment ... after this fermi debacle with tom's i have totally lost any bit of respect for this new outlet that i had left ... jane is stil cool , but the rest of you guys are douches

If your really going to complain about all the free publicity Nvidia has gotten you might as well start with semiaccurate because Charlie D has given out more free publicity to Nvidia than anyone possible least we forget the age ole saying any publicity is good publicity.
Score
March 26, 2010 6:04:03 AM

Anonymousthese r leaked benchmarks.GTX480 is the clear winner !!! I d like to see GTX480 vs 5970 benchmarks !!!http://news.softpedia.com/news/GTX [...] 8123.shtml

it's not vs 5970, it's vs 5870. Against 5970, GTX480 will pee inside itself & there will be shot circuit on the PCB & your Lamborghini will become a toilet with 2 stylish doors..... LOL....
Score
March 26, 2010 6:06:57 AM

ok ... so this is the last one from Tom's Adware and let's hope tomorrow Tom's Hardware is back with a rock solid review.
Score
March 26, 2010 6:48:09 AM

ati already has two fermi killers, the 5970 and the 5870 lightning. . .
soon to be 5870 2gb asus rog. . . .

Score
March 26, 2010 8:06:04 AM

That can't be them all surely, they seemed to go on forever and a day and with at least one story per day for the last few weeks this list must be just a best of compilation. The sad thing is that this has now become a paper launch with no product available for weeks, 12th April is the last date I heard and that is when they expect product at their partners. Who knows how long it will take to distribute to retailers and then filter down to end users. Expect to pay high premiums to obtain one of the first cards, and learn to have a little patience while you wait for it to arrive. Maybe Tom's could do a little advent calender with peel backs for each day, and a picture of a different box in each window to ease the stress of waiting.
Score
March 26, 2010 8:30:16 AM

dont forget to re run your ATI benchmarks on 10.3 dirvers
Score
March 26, 2010 8:59:46 AM

shreeharshait's not vs 5970, it's vs 5870. Against 5970, GTX480 will pee inside itself & there will be shot circuit on the PCB & your Lamborghini will become a toilet with 2 stylish doors..... LOL....

I'd be happy to get a 5970, but it seems to have been marked as 'out of stock' at newegg, pretty much, since it's release.

Does the GTX295 make the 5870 pee itself, too? I didn't know video cards had advanced enough to include the required biological systems to produce urine waste, but I guess if that is what is needed for a solid GPU these days, I'll just have to put a bucket behind my computer to keep the carpet dry.

le beasthttp://news.softpedia.com/news/AMD [...] 8388.shtmlwell that's a bummer for people waiting for price cuts.

Anyone who thought ATI would drop prices right away has not been into computing very long, or just can't remember recent history.
Score
March 26, 2010 9:21:56 AM

All right, it's friday now. Where are the benchmarks?
Score
March 26, 2010 9:29:02 AM

hundredislandsboyFermi will make the benchmarking crowd happy as new records will be set.Fermi will make a good portion of the gaming crowd unhappy and disappointed because the hype has it made it impossible to live up to its expectation. I'll be waiting for ATI's Fermi killer.

Are you living in a shack somewhere? Fermi does not even TRY to take on ATI 5970, what "record" are you talking about?
Score
March 26, 2010 9:47:43 AM

Forget about the benchmarks. With all this coverage I feel as if I already own this card ten times over.
Score
March 26, 2010 10:45:49 AM

What time is this supposed to happen?
Its the 26th already Tom's post your bnechmarks!!!
Score
March 26, 2010 11:36:22 AM

Zzzz.. wake me up when the article is over
Score
March 26, 2010 12:06:42 PM

eekitsericci hope nVidia has something up there sleeves : )

With all the publicity, I have a strange feeling that they have and TH is just keeping it undercover until the official launch.
Score
March 26, 2010 12:15:36 PM

1337_b0iThis article is the last squeeze of hype for the Fermi?

Yeah, after this squeeze it is just a little jiggle and Fermi will drop into the bowl, ready to be flushed and forgotten. Either that, or it just needs water cooling...
Score
March 26, 2010 12:18:32 PM

Man it is 26 march since the last 12 hours over here :) 
Score
March 26, 2010 12:22:55 PM

sinny1if these fermi gpu are as good as the nvidia dude said (the guy that did the benchmark) why nvidia did not let other people do the benchmarks before they release it? because if it is true and confirmed by "outsider source", more people will buy when it released, unless nvidia is hiding something...

They are hiding the fact that in order to get the most out of the card (over voltage) you need to violate the PCI standard of 300W. And the fact you will need your own fusion generator to run the thing. However, if you run a desktop and vent the exhaust towards yourself, you won't need to run heat in the winter.
Score
      • 1 / 2
      • Newest
!