The Road to Fermi: A Look Back on News Leaks

Status
Not open for further replies.

coopchennick

Distinguished
Dec 3, 2008
haha, a Fermi article with NOTHING to report. Not even box shots! I'm beginning to think Fermi doesn't exist.

But really, I hope the cards do great after all of this.

sinny1

Distinguished
Nov 4, 2008
if these fermi gpu are as good as the nvidia dude said (the guy that did the benchmark) why nvidia did not let other people do the benchmarks before they release it? because if it is true and confirmed by "outsider source", more people will buy when it released, unless nvidia is hiding something...

G

Why did we never see such immense coverage leading up to ATI's 5000 series? Oh wait, ATI doesn't play mind games with its consumers.

psychoticdream

Distinguished
Mar 19, 2010
[citation][nom]CypherX[/nom]Why did we never see such immense coverage leading up to ATI's 5000 series? Oh wait, ATI doesn't play mind games with its consumers.[/citation]
EXACTLY!

they've gotten so dishonest and act like apple now

Blessedman

Distinguished
May 29, 2001
When you release against no competition there is no need to hype the product. ATi just won the race, that is all... I too am hoping that Nvidia has something up their sleeves to really put the heat (lol pun intended) on AMD. Mainly I want to see some price drops!!! If Fermi is good enough to put some pressure on AMD and lower their prices, I might go back to ATi after a very long time. Other wise I will just get rid of my current space heaters and get a fermi.

Gigahertz20

Distinguished
Oct 30, 2009
There are already tons of leaked benchmarks for Fermi, and most of the time from what I've seen of leaked benchmarks, they are usually pretty close to the real numbers. Fermi performance is nothing ground breaking from what the leaked benchies show, a little faster.....but for a 6 month delayed part, very disappointing. Nvidia failed this time, the leaked prices are not that great either, so it looks like AMD beat Nvidia to the punch 6 months ago.

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]sinny1[/nom]if these fermi gpu are as good as the nvidia dude said (the guy that did the benchmark) why nvidia did not let other people do the benchmarks before they release it? because if it is true and confirmed by "outsider source", more people will buy when it released, unless nvidia is hiding something...[/citation]

usually there is a NDA on video cards and different reviewers get it but can't disclose until NDA expires so Tomshardware already has tested the cards and is doing write ups to be published tomorrow. same as everyone else

fausto

Distinguished
Jan 26, 2005
[citation][nom]Blessedman[/nom]When you release against no competition there is no need to hype the product. ATi just won the race, that is all... I too am hoping that Nvidia has something up their sleeves to really put the heat (lol pun intended) on AMD. Mainly I want to see some price drops!!! If Fermi is good enough to put some pressure on AMD and lower their prices, I might go back to ATi after a very long time. Other wise I will just get rid of my current space heaters and get a fermi.[/citation]

if fermi forced the 5870 down to $300 i'll buy:)

G

I guess this was expected. The only people to fail more than Nvidia is Tom's Hardware for putting all the vaporware out in the first place. Guess I won't be surprised if Nvidia decides to pull an early April Fools and fool us all considering the news trend.

Ed Brown

Distinguished
Mar 20, 2009
Gotta hand it to nVidia for being able to keep a relatively tight lid on Fermi - especially considering here it is within 24 hrs. or so of release and there's still nada on the intertubes as far as independent "show me or stfu" benchmarks go.

They must have hired the guys who keep bigfoot and space aliens under wraps. If Fermi doesn't do well, then nVidia should look at getting into the Information Security business.

G

Ahh. Swell. Excited! Tomorrow decides if I blow a bunch of money on a Radeon or a Fermi! Whee...

dragonsqrrl

Distinguished
Nov 19, 2009
[citation][nom]CypherX[/nom]Why did we never see such immense coverage leading up to ATI's 5000 series? Oh wait, ATI doesn't play mind games with its consumers.[/citation]
Because ATI's cards were on time and first to release this generation, there really isn't much more of an explanation beyond this. The "immense coverage" and hype that people speak of is not unique to Nvidia. Anyone remember all the hype built up over the HD2900 XT? This card was also released six months after the competition, but had trouble competing against the 8800GTS in performance, while consuming significantly more power then the 8800GTX. Stop trying to put ATI up on a pedestal.

theubersmurf

Distinguished
Jul 29, 2008
I bought a 5850, and for the time being am unwilling to buy invidia, however, I'm glad they're here. It will no longer be an issue that people are talking about...we'll simply have them available, can see the actual performance, and price, etc. The mystery will end, sheesh, what attention to this.

husker

Distinguished
Oct 2, 2009
Wouldn't it be ironic if so many people were waiting for Fermi to come out before buying a new ATI card, that it causes a market stampede, overwhelming the supply and forces prices higher instead of lower?

Tindytim

Distinguished
Sep 16, 2008
[citation][nom]husker[/nom]Wouldn't it be ironic if so many people were waiting for Fermi to come out before buying a new ATI card, that it causes a market stampede, overwhelming the supply and forces prices higher instead of lower?[/citation]

MY GOD! it would be the Perfect Storm

Of Nvidia's...er....go down...ership....ness.

Status
Not open for further replies.