XP Start up problem

May be wrong in blaming SP2 but troubles started day after it was dowloaded.
When booting get to XP screen but after a short time hear a click then screen
goes blank PC switches off & back on & starts loading again but continually
loops with same problem. Attempting to boot in safe mode doesn't work as PC
keeps switching off.
ANY help would be gratefully appreciated.

check here
http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=kb;en-us;875355&Product=windowsxpsp2
http://www3.telus.net/dandemar/xpsp2.htm

--

Harry Ohrn MS-MVP [Shell/User]
www.webtree.ca/windowsxp

"Paul H" <PaulH@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
| May be wrong in blaming SP2 but troubles started day after it was
dowloaded.
| When booting get to XP screen but after a short time hear a click then
screen
| goes blank PC switches off & back on & starts loading again but
continually
| loops with same problem. Attempting to boot in safe mode doesn't work as
PC
| keeps switching off.
| ANY help would be gratefully appreciated.

SP2 updates directX to version 9c from version 8.1. I'll guess your video
card or system can't handle directX9 but can work with directX 8.1.