My system specs:
Asus P4S8X Motherboard, LAN enabled, Audio/1394 Disabled
Northwood P4 2.8ghz
512mb PC2700 DDR Memory (1 stick)
VisionTek Xtasy GeForce 3 Ti500
SoundBlaster Live!
80GB Maxtor 7200RPM HDD
52x Samsung CD

I'm still trying to narrow down what exactly is causing this, but here's my problem:

Basically, my system is locking up during certain high load applications/games. Playing Morrowind or Everquest it'll lock up within a couple minutes, playing something less graphic intensive such as Half-Life it'll run for anywhere between 30 minutes to 2 hours before it locks up. Rips MP3's all day long and never has a problem though, this baffled me because I thought mp3 ripping was a pretty heavy load activity.

I originally assumed it might be a memory problem, since one of my two sticks was DOA with a similar lockup problem. But, the more I read in this forum, the more I start to think it could be a power issue. Since I started having this problem, I loaded up the Asus Probe 2 software to monitor my stats, and I've noticed that my voltage tends to dip below normal quite regularly. My +12 spends alot of time at 11.8; +5 sticks around 5.105; and +3.3 is almost always at 3.28; And VCore at 1.488. Does this make sense? Is it possible that low voltage during heavy load periods is causing me to lock up?

After reading a bit here I checked my case and the rating seems quite low for what I'm trying to run. (Only 10A on the 12V rail.)

Any input is appreciated. I'll probably end up buying a new power supply from Antec here in the next couple days.

My computers work just fine until I try to "fix" them.

Quetzacoatl

Distinguished
Jan 30, 2002
I'd say it could be your power supply, all your other stats look pretty good. Whatcha running in your rig?

Instead of Rdram, why not just merge 4 Sdram channels...

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
You could try raising some of the voltages. A lot of Asus boards come with a jumper that allows you to increase your 3.3v setting to 3.5v, which with your weak power supply might give you 3.3v! Oh, and the Vcore is supposed to be 1.525v, look through your manual, I'm certain you can raise that as well.

Yes, it looks like you have a crappy power supply. Oh, and that board has been known for numerous memory and AGP problems causeing it to crash. I've only known about 1 person in here who had no problems, then his board dies after a few months. I've always recommended the Gigabyte GA-8SG667 instead because it uses the same chipset without problems.

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

TRENDING THREADS