Show Desktop Icon

I have recently gone from Windows 2000 to XP Professional. I am used to
having the "Show Desktop" icon in the taskbar at the bottom left side. Now I
have to go to the Start button to find my desktop icons or minimize all the
windows I have open to get to the desktop. I would like to continue toggling
back to my desktop in this fashion I am already used to if possible. Is there
a way for me to put this icon on my taskbar or should I just get be getting
used to the change?
Thanks
kma

Click Start, Run and type the command regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32

The Show Desktop SCF file should now be available.

-or-

How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar:
http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
"kma_11" <kma11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2951B1E-9DE9-4557-BF86-5D2AEEAF9206@microsoft.com...
I have recently gone from Windows 2000 to XP Professional. I am used to
having the "Show Desktop" icon in the taskbar at the bottom left side. Now I
have to go to the Start button to find my desktop icons or minimize all the
windows I have open to get to the desktop. I would like to continue toggling
back to my desktop in this fashion I am already used to if possible. Is there
a way for me to put this icon on my taskbar or should I just get be getting
used to the change?
Thanks
kma

Thanks!

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and type the command regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32
>
> The Show Desktop SCF file should now be available.
>
> -or-
>
> How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
> The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
> "kma_11" <kma11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2951B1E-9DE9-4557-BF86-5D2AEEAF9206@microsoft.com...
> I have recently gone from Windows 2000 to XP Professional. I am used to
> having the "Show Desktop" icon in the taskbar at the bottom left side. Now I
> have to go to the Start button to find my desktop icons or minimize all the
> windows I have open to get to the desktop. I would like to continue toggling
> back to my desktop in this fashion I am already used to if possible. Is there
> a way for me to put this icon on my taskbar or should I just get be getting
> used to the change?
> Thanks
> kma

You're welcome!

--
Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
Windows XP Shell/User
http://windowsxp.mvps.org
Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
"kma_11" <kma11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:1EA4C19D-53D5-44A4-96E1-BD475271A919@microsoft.com...
Thanks!

"Ramesh [MVP]" wrote:

> Click Start, Run and type the command regsvr32 /n /i:U shell32
>
> The Show Desktop SCF file should now be available.
>
> -or-
>
> How to Re-create the Show Desktop Icon on Quick Launch Toolbar:
> http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=190355
>
> --
> Ramesh, Microsoft MVP
> Windows XP Shell/User
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org
> Using ToolbarCop to remove the unwanted Toolband, Toolbar Icons and BHO:
> http://windowsxp.mvps.org/toolbarcop.htm
> The Parasite Fight - Quick Fix Protocol:
> http://aumha.org/a/quickfix.php
> "kma_11" <kma11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message news:F2951B1E-9DE9-4557-BF86-5D2AEEAF9206@microsoft.com...
> I have recently gone from Windows 2000 to XP Professional. I am used to
> having the "Show Desktop" icon in the taskbar at the bottom left side. Now I
> have to go to the Start button to find my desktop icons or minimize all the
> windows I have open to get to the desktop. I would like to continue toggling
> back to my desktop in this fashion I am already used to if possible. Is there
> a way for me to put this icon on my taskbar or should I just get be getting
> used to the change?
> Thanks
> kma

On Tue, 2 Nov 2004 15:26:01 -0800, kma_11
<kma11@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote:
>I have recently gone from Windows 2000 to XP Professional. I am used to
>having the "Show Desktop" icon in the taskbar at the bottom left side. Now I
>have to go to the Start button to find my desktop icons or minimize all the
>windows I have open to get to the desktop. I would like to continue toggling
>back to my desktop in this fashion I am already used to if possible. Is there
>a way for me to put this icon on my taskbar or should I just get be getting
>used to the change?
>Thanks
>kma

Ok you got the icon, but all you have to do is to press your windows icon
key - the one that gives you the "start" menu if press alone, but at the
same time when hitting that key, you press your "D" key - boom, instant
desktop with all windows minimized... and to get then back open all at
once, do it again.
...D.

Hi. It sounds like D. and others gave you the answers you needed but I think
also it is cool to right-click on taskbar just to the left of your system
time and active icons field. Next go to toolbars , then desktop. Make sure
desktop is checked. Now whenever you need access to shortcuts on your desktop
they pop up in a vertical column in front of your active browser page. Maybe
you'll think it's cool too.