E991 GPS and Mapping Software ????????????

Last response: in Network Providers
Share
June 3, 2004 5:24:16 PM

OK - most of the new phones have E991 capability which means that they
must track your position via the satellites. They also have usb
connectivity cables.

My question is: Do any of these phones have the capability to output
the GPS signal thru the usb cable (NMEA format I suppose) so that the
phone could be hooked up to a laptop with mapping software like MS
MapPoint installed?

I am in particular looking to get a LG4500 when I am eligible for a
new phone next month.

This would be very cool if possible

Thanks - Dave
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 5:24:17 PM

Dave wrote:
> OK - most of the new phones have E991 capability which means that they
> must track your position via the satellites.

I don't believe there is a legal requirement for how they work,
just that they must provide position information.

The phones don't actually have full blown GPS receiver in them.
They record the GPS signals and pass them on to the tower.
The towers use triangulation combined with the GPS information
(if any) to work out the location. At this point it means that
the network operator knows the location of the phone, but
not the phone itself.

In theory the phone can then download that information from
the phone network. I don't know of any phones that actually
perform that last step (you can usually see hints of it in
the service menu). I also don't know if VZW even allows them
to download the info if they could since there would be
various privacy and firewalling issues.

However I do expect that what you are talking about will
happen - it is just a matter of time. Hopefully it will
help kick the handheld GPS industry into being a little
nimbler.

Roger
Anonymous
June 3, 2004 11:39:23 PM

Dave <dave@somehere.net> wrote:

> OK - most of the new phones have E991 capability which means that they
> must track your position via the satellites. They also have usb
> connectivity cables.
>
> My question is: Do any of these phones have the capability to output
> the GPS signal thru the usb cable (NMEA format I suppose) so that the
> phone could be hooked up to a laptop with mapping software like MS
> MapPoint installed?

The GPS receivers aren't functional enough to act as general-purpose
units in that way. They also, by default, only work when you dial 911.

You may have gotten a somewhat different idea from watching "CSI Miami",
but it's important to realize that show is basically science fiction. :)

--
Jeremy | jeremy@exit109.com
June 4, 2004 1:55:05 AM

In article <5ac4p1-djd.ln1@home.rogerbinns.com>, rogerb@rogerbinns.com
says...
> Dave wrote:
> > OK - most of the new phones have E991 capability which means that they
> > must track your position via the satellites.
>
> I don't believe there is a legal requirement for how they work,
> just that they must provide position information.
>
> The phones don't actually have full blown GPS receiver in them.
> They record the GPS signals and pass them on to the tower.
> The towers use triangulation combined with the GPS information
> (if any) to work out the location. At this point it means that
> the network operator knows the location of the phone, but
> not the phone itself.
>
> In theory the phone can then download that information from
> the phone network. I don't know of any phones that actually
> perform that last step (you can usually see hints of it in
> the service menu). I also don't know if VZW even allows them
> to download the info if they could since there would be
> various privacy and firewalling issues.
>
> However I do expect that what you are talking about will
> happen - it is just a matter of time. Hopefully it will
> help kick the handheld GPS industry into being a little
> nimbler.

I beliefe theer is service for At&T that you sign up and trace phoen
location from the website

AP
!