Connecting Router to Router to Print?

Last response: in Wireless Networking
Share
August 21, 2004 5:55:31 AM

Is it possible to connect a router (SMC7004AWBR) to another router so
I can use the Print Server function in the SMC unit for computers on
the LAN/WLAN?

Have heard it may be possible to connect unit via LAN connection, load
the print drivers in the computers and access this unit via the
LAN/WLAN as a printer driver unit.

Any help will be appreciated.

John
Anonymous
August 22, 2004 5:07:29 PM

Absolutely! I'm doing exactly that with my SMC7004ABR
and my new Linksys WRT54G wireless AP.

First, configure your SMC so that it no longer is
a DHCP server and assign it a static IP.

Use a cross-over cable and plug one end into PORT 1
at the front of the SMC and the other in an empty port
on the other AP router. You should get a signal at
this point if everything is turned on and connected.

Test ping the SMC to ensure you have connectivity. If
you don't, verify both routers (SMC and whatever you have
now).

The Printer software for the SMC installs as usual through
the dedicated SMC printing port.

You *may* loose certain functionality such as printer
ink status and such.

Its worked fine for me.

John <aljon@no-spam_att.net> wrote in

!