Rich_Swartz

Distinguished
Jan 15, 2003
Just started running an Asus A7N8X MB with an AMD 2100XP. The Asus probe feature noted that the 12v reading was exceeding a 10% overage. This has happened three times within the last few hours. It has gotten as high as 13.5v. I'm totally new at this stuff and have no idea what kind of range is tolerable/desirable. I don't want to bake my new board and chip so.. I appeal to you "pros" at what point should I panic?
Rich (ps - thanks in advance for the guidance)

Crashman

Polypheme
Former Staff
13.5v is not a problem for 12v hardware! In fact, since many components are also used in mobile applications from a car battery, 13.8v is fine too!

<font color=blue>You're posting in a forum with class. It may be third class, but it's still class!</font color=blue>

stupid_tech_geek

Distinguished
Nov 17, 2002
speaking of voltage, does anyone know if the voltage is different on the various molex connectors coming off the power supply? also I was wondering what the purpose of the square (as opposed to the standard rectangular) molex is. I have a lot of fans running in my case and could use another line out of the pwr supply but I have no connectors that match the square one.

Another Gatesware Drone. You WILL Be Assimilated.
My rig:
Asus A7N8X Deluxe
AMD Athlon XP1700
Abit Siluro GForce2 AGP
2x 256m crucial ram

Jeff68005

Distinguished
May 4, 2001
Are you referring to the one with 4 plugs but square? That's the added 12v for the P4 motherboards. I do not know if your board uses it.

Every working computer must be improved .... or replaced ...

zepper

Distinguished
Jan 17, 2003
Have you checked the voltage with a meter? I would RMA any unit that was truly out of the +/-10% standard (or +/-5% on +3.3 and +5V). You didn't mention the make and model of your PSU so we could watch out for them.
.bh.

----------
Perhaps the only reason for your existence is to act as a warning to others...