Media Player 10 Error

Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but I tried posting on the Media Player NG but
received no responses. Problem is this:

When trying to use media player 10 for mp3, avi, mpg, etc. on two of the
four xp
pro user profiles we have setup, will get the the unsupported codec message
"C00D1189".
Media Player options also missing the "file types" tab on these profiles.
Other two profiles have neither of these problems - work flawlessly. Why
are two of the four profiles having problems with Media Player. Should I
simply delete current install and reinstall. If so, any considerations when
reinstalling in multiple profiles?

Thanks - D. Cervoni

D. Cervoni wrote:
> Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but I tried posting on the Media
> Player NG but received no responses. Problem is this:
>
> When trying to use media player 10 for mp3, avi, mpg, etc. on two of
> the four xp
> pro user profiles we have setup, will get the the unsupported codec
> message "C00D1189".
> Media Player options also missing the "file types" tab on these
> profiles. Other two profiles have neither of these problems - work
> flawlessly. Why are two of the four profiles having problems with
> Media Player. Should I simply delete current install and reinstall.
> If so, any considerations when reinstalling in multiple profiles?
>
> Thanks - D. Cervoni

Please don't multipost. Crosspost if you must, but don't multipost!

Multiposting vs Crossposting

and

Please don't multi-post.
http://www.aspfaq.com/etiquette.asp?id=5003

lose his marbles?

I attempted to crosspost but was unsucessful. I guess I should have tried
harder. I do not multi or crosspost as a practice but I was getting
desperate for some kind of helpful reply to a problem that has me completely
stumped.

Sorry for the multipost, won't happen again.

D. Cervoni

"Miss Perspicacia Tick" wrote:

> D. Cervoni wrote:
> > Sorry if this is the wrong NG, but I tried posting on the Media
> > Player NG but received no responses. Problem is this:
> >
> > When trying to use media player 10 for mp3, avi, mpg, etc. on two of
> > the four xp
> > pro user profiles we have setup, will get the the unsupported codec
> > message "C00D1189".
> > Media Player options also missing the "file types" tab on these
> > profiles. Other two profiles have neither of these problems - work
> > flawlessly. Why are two of the four profiles having problems with
> > Media Player. Should I simply delete current install and reinstall.
> > If so, any considerations when reinstalling in multiple profiles?
> >
> > Thanks - D. Cervoni
>

> Please don't multipost. Crosspost if you must, but don't multipost!
>
> Multiposting vs Crossposting
> http://www.blakjak.demon.co.uk/mul_crss.htm
>
> and
>
> Please don't multi-post.
> http://www.aspfaq.com/etiquette.asp?id=5003
>
> --
> My great-grandfather was born and raised in Elgin - did he eventually
> lose his marbles?

I don't know a whole lot about this kind of stuff because I am the only
user of my computer, but it sounds as if the codec you installed was
installed for to a certain level of a user or for certain users to have
access - like the admin level users, or users with a higher level than
others. You'd think a codec would install for all users, but it reminds
me of installing a program - you can set it for only certain users to have
access.
...D.