Frontlines fuel of war?

Alex The PC Gamer

Distinguished
Oct 24, 2007
I got this game as a gift and it's got potential.

Single Player is ok...I really love the game except for the shooting (it's got a weird feel). And, given that it's a FPS...well it should have been looked into in the beta testing. But other than that, it is a great game.

It's got cool tools to play with, with good graphics, and descent MP.

The reason why this game doesn't do that well is because it asn't set any bars. So it's just another shooter with cool graphics and some fun tools to play with but nothing more.

bobwya

May 21, 2005
Hi,

I tried out the beta demo. The game is based on the UT3 engine BTW.

I have a background of playing BF2 and BF2142 so I thought I would give it a try...

Everything in Front Lines Fuels of War felt off. The landscape mip-maps looked wierd like everything was glued together and immovable. At least in BF2/BF2142 this is less obvious!! The physics handled all wrong. The vehicle handling physics was all wrong (like a toy cart rather than something large and heavy). The helicopter just spun around without proper physics as well. Ah well back to the Battlefield series as this didn't seem to offer much.

Bob

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
okay, I'm glad you were able to try it, that stinks that they don't have a single player or lan demo. are there any other FPS that you would recommend? anyone. I have battlefield 1943 and 2 and UT2004. any others that have good lan play and stuff?

SnareSpectre

Distinguished
May 2, 2008
Man, I say you can't go wrong with Call of Duty 4. One of the greatest FPS ever, in my opinion. The multi-player is just unbelievably good.

G

I played front line fuel of wars beta... I was so good at it... but the game sucked... everything felt clumsy and poor... maybe they changed it... but it doesn't sound like it =(

bobwya

May 21, 2005

BF2142 is pretty good (I have certainly racked up quite a few hours playing it). The unlocks are quite neat (hover mines, personal cloaking device, EMP devices, etc.) and the graphics are an evolutionary improvement over BF2. The physics for the hover tanks, air vehicles, walkers, etc. are spot on!! Although very similar to BF2 the load times problems for starting up, the maps and the menu have all been sorted out!! I guess since its quite old now the price will be good as well... I know it was a bit controversial (like the in-game ad boards for Intel - I hardly notice these - did I mention I must go out and buy a Q6600 soon... :lol: ) but I still think it is a good MP game.

Bob

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Is Front lines fuel of war beta demo single for multiplayer, like online only or is there lan to? ya I have 2142 but I have never been able to play it because you have to get an online account. I don't have internet on my personal computer.

Granite3

Distinguished
Aug 17, 2006
I enjoyed Frontlines quite well.

It does have a FOV problem if you are on a widescreen, but is great with the hack to fix it.

Call of Duty 4 is great, Bioshock will blow your mind, Crysis is at another level, FEAR is fearful, 2142 is worthy, and Medal of Honor Airborne was fun if slightly mindless.

Rainbow Six Vegas and Vegas 2 are quite entertaining, as are Ghost Recon Advanced Warfighter 1 & 2. (the most difficult FPS's I have ever played)

And if you haven't sampled Chronicles of Riddick Butcher Bay, you have missed a treat.

One last cheap title was entertaining- Blacksite Area 51, zero replay value, but novel at least.

Last, but not least, Half Life 2 and the expansion packs are super.

COD 4 does rule though!

G

BF 2142 was awsome when I played it...

except most people have a ton of problems w/ running it... it always crashes... the only way to fix it is to delete the radial.cdb in the program files... its a system file... so you have to do some stuff first before you can see it... but delete it every couple start ups... and you won't have any problems...

AND they just added widescreen support...

so i'm starting to play bf 2142 again after abso-f*cking-lutely owning cod 4 and everyone in it...

2 VERY different games... but both fun

San Pedro

Distinguished
Jul 16, 2007
Lots of good MP fps to choose from. One of the most enjoyable is still Enemy Territory, but everyone's been playing it for so long that it may make a little hard for noobs to jump into at this point. BTW it's free and has crappy graphics, still loads of fun.

Half Life 2 is good for deathmatch, I really like the Goldeneye source mod you could get for it too, in fact I liked it more than the original death match.

life626

Distinguished
May 29, 2008
Okay that makes sens, thanks. I looked around and couldn't find a game like that that was free. I think I missed it. Can someone give me a link to it? is it Enemy Territory: Quake wars?