User Name

November 3, 2004 4:37:02 PM

I just got XP for the first time. Someone else set it up for me before I got
the computer. Their name is the default user. I changed the user name to
mine when XP starts up, but there is still a folder that has the wrong name
on it. It is the defualt name and gets inserted in forms. I've tried to
rename the user, but a message pops up and says that I cannot change the name
or move the folder. Is there any way to change this name or am I stuck with
the wrong name?

More about : user

Anonymous
November 3, 2004 10:13:13 PM

Hi,

You would need to create a new user with the preferred name, then copy the
existing profile into it. You can change the name you use for the profile,
but not the profile folder name.

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=811151

--
Best of Luck,

http://mvp.support.microsoft.com/
www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/expertzone
Windows help - www.rickrogers.org

"hutding21" <hutding21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
>I just got XP for the first time. Someone else set it up for me before I
>got
> the computer. Their name is the default user. I changed the user name to
> mine when XP starts up, but there is still a folder that has the wrong
> name
> on it. It is the defualt name and gets inserted in forms. I've tried to
> rename the user, but a message pops up and says that I cannot change the
> name
> or move the folder. Is there any way to change this name or am I stuck
> with
> the wrong name?
Anonymous
November 7, 2004 9:32:19 PM

"hutding21" <hutding21@discussions.microsoft.com> wrote in message
> I just got XP for the first time. Someone else set it up for me
> before I got the computer. Their name is the default user. I
> changed the user name to mine when XP starts up, but there is still a
> folder that has the wrong name on it. It is the defualt name and
> gets inserted in forms. I've tried to rename the user, but a message
> pops up and says that I cannot change the name or move the folder.
> Is there any way to change this name or am I stuck with the wrong
> name?

The Default user is a necessary part of WinXP

--
Frank Saunders, MS-MVP, IE/OE
http://www.fjsmjs.com